EmuNewz Network

Full Version: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable - ULUS10512
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
OK, this is really weird. About 3 months ago, I got P3P running very well. "50-60 FPS in Tartarus" well. Not flawless, but perfectly playable as far as I'm concerned. Yesterday, I went back to it, and the frame rate struggles to get past the 30FPS mark. I'm quite certain that I'm using the same settings as back then: vertex cache enabled, GE screen saved to textures. No hardware changes were made to my PC.

Initially I thought that the emulator development team had to make some performance sacrifices in the name of increased compatibility. I downloaded an older build (r2043), but that didn't help, so it's not the issue. Then I thought it was AMD that messed the drivers up and decided to roll those back. Didn't help. Finally, I figured that my Windows installation could have gotten bloated over the time, so I reinstalled Windows, but no result.

I'm completely lost at this point. What is it that I'm doing wrong? I know my PC is capable of running this game at a decent frame rate because it did just that mere months ago. If that helps, I have an Intel i5 750 2.67 GHz, a Radeon 4670 512 MB and 2GB of RAM. The video card and the amount of RAM aren't much by today's standards, but again, they used to suffice.

Oh yeah, enabling shaders catapults the frame rate all the way to 60FPS, but completely messes up everything that is 3D.
(07-13-2011, 08:28 AM)Phrourarch Wrote: [ -> ]OK, this is really weird. About 3 months ago, I got P3P running very well. "50-60 FPS in Tartarus" well. Not flawless, but perfectly playable as far as I'm concerned. Yesterday, I went back to it, and the frame rate struggles to get past the 30FPS mark. I'm quite certain that I'm using the same settings as back then: vertex cache enabled, GE screen saved to textures. No hardware changes were made to my PC.

Initially I thought that the emulator development team had to make some performance sacrifices in the name of increased compatibility. I downloaded an older build (r2043), but that didn't help, so it's not the issue. Then I thought it was AMD that messed the drivers up and decided to roll those back. Didn't help. Finally, I figured that my Windows installation could have gotten bloated over the time, so I reinstalled Windows, but no result.

I'm completely lost at this point. What is it that I'm doing wrong? I know my PC is capable of running this game at a decent frame rate because it did just that mere months ago. If that helps, I have an Intel i5 750 2.67 GHz, a Radeon 4670 512 MB and 2GB of RAM. The video card and the amount of RAM aren't much by today's standards, but again, they used to suffice.

Oh yeah, enabling shaders catapults the frame rate all the way to 60FPS, but completely messes up everything that is 3D.

Shaders: well, try checking UBO, that helped in some games, it's a common bug for ATI cards.
As for framerate drops: if you REALLY sure you use the same settings (including "maximum method size" under a differrent tab), than my best guess should be GE screen, because GE screen improved into something little different. I mean, GE screen now filtering the screen if you play your games in a resized window or full-screen. Also full-screen: if you set high resolution in JPCSP and use full-screen, you may suffer from FPS drop. I don't really know what else would be. Sorry Sad
(07-15-2011, 10:25 AM)megaten666 Wrote: [ -> ]Shaders: well, try checking UBO, that helped in some games, it's a common bug for ATI cards.
As for framerate drops: if you REALLY sure you use the same settings (including "maximum method size" under a differrent tab), than my best guess should be GE screen, because GE screen improved into something little different. I mean, GE screen now filtering the screen if you play your games in a resized window or full-screen. Also full-screen: if you set high resolution in JPCSP and use full-screen, you may suffer from FPS drop. I don't really know what else would be. Sorry Sad
I tried the suggestions, but alas, nothing worked. Thanks for attempting to help, though. I guess I'll pick up an nVidia card from a couple of years ago. You can find one for something like 30$ these days. That should get rid of the artifacts that pop up after enabling shaders, right?
Maybe. It may display 3D properly, when shader is enabled, but I fear, using an older card will results in an FPS decrease. Then again, I'm really just guessing... Sad
I switched to a 8600GT, and it almost eliminated the graphical garbage.

[Image: w6wnc8.png]

Some still remains, and every character looks a bit like a hedgehog, but I can tell what's going on, and the frame rate is rock solid 60 FPS, aside from small and short drops when entering a new area. I can definitely live with this.

For bonus points, PCSX2 also has better performance now. Digital Devil Saga used to drop frames here and there, but not anymore. That's despite the fact that 8600GT is a year older than HD 4670. I know which video card manufacturer I'm going to support when I'll be doing a proper upgrade.
I'm new to jpcsp as well and I'm trying to get this game to run on my mac. I'm using r2211 Mac version. It loads fine when i do 'Load UMD", but I only get a black screen.

When I check Media Engine, the game is not even loadable.

Help appreciated!!
Alright, so.

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I've been fiddling around with the config in order to get my FPS higher than 15~20 while exploring Tartarus. Nothing worked, until I only left "Enable saving GE screen to Textures instead of Memory" checked, everything else in the Video tab unchecked, et voila: it works with around 40 FPS. While using shaders increased the framerate to around 55 FPS, all of the 3D models were all messed up. Also, DON'T ENABLE VERTEX CACHE! Under all the combinations I tried, most of the ones including Vertex cache were useless.
Just hope I won't have as much trouble with other games from now on...
its not vortex cache, its VERTEX CACHE for crying out !@#$ !!!
(08-05-2011, 12:43 PM)andutrache Wrote: [ -> ]its not vortex cache, its VERTEX CACHE for crying out !@#$ !!!

There. Fixed. Happy now? Or is there something you have to say which has actually anything to do with the problem?

Geez, as if people wouldn't understand what I mean...
working good on me like some other games
framerate is not soo fast... about 22 ingame only
but my pc is not high ended

Im on July now and enjoy the changes from PS2 version
to be able to play with a female character
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21