This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Worms: Open Warfare 2 - ULUS10260
(12-20-2011, 08:04 AM)legend80 Wrote: Any update on this regression by chance? I've tried messing around with settings quite a bit but no matter what I try the bug persist - the whole screen has a constant wave motion.

To sum up issue histroy: Issue first appeared in r2167 - fixed in r2288 - broke again in r2323 - issue present in all revisions after that.

Please try to take a look at this when you can! Thanks!

I'm still watching this issue closely, but it has been quite hard to determine the exact cause of this behaviour.
So far, I'm sure the issue relies on our stencil test, but this game seems to only output proper graphics under a wrong stencil case, which is obviously not the correct implementation.
By the way, could you please check if this behaviour persists in all maps on this game (with shader stencil test on vs. shader stencil test off)? I believe there's one map that doesn't produce this bug, but for unknown reasons.
(12-20-2011, 02:50 PM)Hykem Wrote:
(12-20-2011, 08:04 AM)legend80 Wrote: Any update on this regression by chance? I've tried messing around with settings quite a bit but no matter what I try the bug persist - the whole screen has a constant wave motion.

To sum up issue histroy: Issue first appeared in r2167 - fixed in r2288 - broke again in r2323 - issue present in all revisions after that.

I'm still watching this issue closely, but it has been quite hard to determine the exact cause of this behaviour.
So far, I'm sure the issue relies on our stencil test, but this game seems to only output proper graphics under a wrong stencil case, which is obviously not the correct implementation.
By the way, could you please check if this behaviour persists in all maps on this game (with shader stencil test on vs. shader stencil test off)? I believe there's one map that doesn't produce this bug, but for unknown reasons.

Ok, glad to hear it! Weird issue it sounds like.

There's only 2 maps that don't have this affect but those two don't have water. All the other ones exhibit this behavior.

With "Stencil Test" on, the whole game has a huge rendering issue. See screenshot. Is there other settings that "Stencil Test" does not get along with? Despite the craziness, I can make out (at times when landscape displays) that the wave effect is still present with this enabled.

So no effect either way and if affects all levels with water (which is 90% of them). At least you got it narrowed down pretty well. You'll figure it out. Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.5 ghz. / GeForce GTX 970 / 16 Gig Ram / Win 10
(12-20-2011, 08:00 PM)legend80 Wrote:
(12-20-2011, 02:50 PM)Hykem Wrote:

Ok, glad to hear it! Weird issue it sounds like.

There's only 2 maps that don't have this affect but those two don't have water. All the other ones exhibit this behavior.

With "Stencil Test" on, the whole game has a huge rendering issue. See screenshot. Is there other settings that "Stencil Test" does not get along with? Despite the craziness, I can make out (at times when landscape displays) that the wave effect is still present with this enabled.

So no effect either way and if affects all levels with water (which is 90% of them). At least you got it narrowed down pretty well. You'll figure it out. Wink

Thanks for the detailed report! Smile
Enabling the Stencil Test shouldn't yield any problems, but I've seen some cases where there have been some graphical issues when resizing, for instance. It may also share issues with certain optimization features like the Vertex Cache for example. The best way to test it is by just enabling the shaders and the stencil test and keep the display at 1x size.
This issue looks indeed quite odd, but I think it's starting to make some sense.
It appears the water layer is being rendered on top of the landscape when it is present. When our stencil test was always allowing write operations based on depth, the landscape was always drawn. Now, the water shows up, but the landscape is omitted.
Looks like we will have to test the stencil depth test feature and check if it's affecting this game. If so, a proper shader implementation will be needed. Wink
Ok, went from fullscreen to 1x and only enabled shaders. Here's some results from different settings:

"Stencil Test" ENABLED: Cause garbage gfx with "Save GE to Screen" enabled. Causes the "wave effect" to effect the entire
background image AND only outlines of the worms/land is displayed. However the land outlines are not wavy, so that's something positive. See screenshot 2.

"Save GE to Screen" DISABLED: The foreground (land) will be effectively erased by the water wave effect layer(however high that may be at the time), so only the water and the background can be seen on that part of the screen. See screenshot 1.

"Color Mask" ENABLED: Prevents the islands from rendering. You only see the background.

"Only GE" ENABLED: Black screen on start.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Please try to take a look at this regression when you can! Let me know if there's ANYTHING I can do to help! Thanks!
How good/bad does the software rendering work for this game? It seems to use tricky GE sequences.
Always include a complete log file at INFO level in your reports. Thanks! How to post a log
(03-14-2012, 08:56 PM)gid15 Wrote: How good/bad does the software rendering work for this game? It seems to use tricky GE sequences.

Not good. Smile

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/30548221.png/

I've been keeping an eye on the software inplementation. It works great until you enter gameplay and once there, everything goes nuts.
Texture flips have been fixed in r2482. Could you try again the software rendering?
Always include a complete log file at INFO level in your reports. Thanks! How to post a log
Software is pretty darn good now:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/821/softwarem.png/
It does have the "water wave effect" over the entire screen though. The bug in hardware works a bit differently - the "wave" effect only affects the area of the screen where the water at one point was displayed. Here, it's just the entire screen no matter what.

Anyway, using hardware now (GE to textures on), the "wave" effect is unchanged but now the background is not rendered - it's just black now.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/hardwaref.png/

Better with GE to textures off, but now the water is not rendered and that area simply displays the background.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/37064884.jpg/

Also, I noticed a huge speed hit (full speed > half speed) in 3rd Birthday going from r2476 to r2482. Not good. Any ideas what happened there?
(03-18-2012, 02:22 AM)legend80 Wrote: Also, I noticed a huge speed hit (full speed > half speed) in 3rd Birthday going from r2476 to r2482. Not good. Any ideas what happened there?
Could you post a log file?