This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Display Driver Has Stopped Responding and Recovered"
I keep getting this error everytime I try to use the emulator now, makes the game unplayable because after it "recovers" the video is missing so its just a gray box. Happens usually within 5 minutes of me starting up a game. Has anyone encountered this before and knows how to fix it?

I'm on an i5-750 and a 5870, neither overclocked. 5870's drivers are fully updated and the emulator ran fine when I was playing another game a few months ago.
When you say "5870", you mean ATI video card? If so, your problem is because ATI drivers have certain problems whit OpenGL applications and JPCSP use OpenGL; also, i don't know why but all applications write on Java (At least those i got) are crashing on latest releases of Java 7 Update 5 and Catalyst 11/12/12.6.

I own an ATI 6620g and to pass trough this issue thing of "Display Driver Has Stopped Responding and Recovered" i update my Catalyst to the 12.7 BETA (8.981.2.0 June 26). This solved the issue BUT! Since i make the update (First week of July) the error has show but only 3 or 4 times; this is better than every time you try to run an OpenGL or Java application.

If you have Java 7 then i suggest return to Java 6 latest update and try whit it. Also, if you want further help i let you this forum; there someone will told you which driver version will work good for you:
Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section

Good luck.
[Image: montcer.png]
(08-06-2012, 07:59 PM)Lunarhawk Wrote: I keep getting this error everytime I try to use the emulator now, makes the game unplayable because after it "recovers" the video is missing so its just a gray box. Happens usually within 5 minutes of me starting up a game. Has anyone encountered this before and knows how to fix it?

I'm on an i5-750 and a 5870, neither overclocked. 5870's drivers are fully updated and the emulator ran fine when I was playing another game a few months ago.
Sounds like a recent driver bug since another member was also reporting their ATI display driver crashing, There has been no changes to any opengl implementation in Jpcsp lately as far as I can tell, so the only explanation would be a buggy driver, though post a log and any further information you can provide.
(08-08-2012, 12:17 AM)hyakki Wrote: so the only explanation would be a buggy driver
Mmmm, no. The issue appear whit Java 7. For sure the bug is there but it came out whit Java 7.

Believe me, when i was using Java 6 none applications on Java gave me some problem. When i update to Java 7 the problems appear and does not matter if i return to the fabric driver or update to latest (Beta or not); Java 7 will crash.

But as i say; the BETA version has only crash 3 or 4 times on more that 1 month of use; is an advance.
Well if anyone wants to fool around you can try upgrading to LWJGL 2.8.4 (or the nighty's builds) , see if it fixes or breaks anything with ati. (Jpcsp comes with LWJGL 2.7.1).
So I would assume a few things might of been fixed, quickly looking at the change log..... (I personally see no difference w/ nvidia cards though :p)

I would strongly recommend doing it on a separate jpcsp install though since it's merely for testing and bug reports wouldn't count with it, (should be pretty easy to change just copy and replace any matching dll / lib and jar's in the jpcsp lib directory.)
Sorry for taking so long to respond, figured I'd just wait out the drivers. And well it didn't work. Got the 12.8 drivers today that came out earlier this week (they seemed to skip normal 12.7), within 3-4 minutes of starting the game I'm trying to play the display driver stopped working again.

I don't believe my videocard is failing because I can still play normal games just fine on high settings. Recent examples include Prototype 2, Planetside 2 Beta, War of the Roses Beta, and CS:GO.
(08-19-2012, 08:48 AM)Lunarhawk2 Wrote: I don't believe my videocard is failing because I can still play normal games just fine on high settings. Recent examples include Prototype 2, Planetside 2 Beta, War of the Roses Beta, and CS:GO.
I agree with you; hardware does not looks like have the problem. I still thinking is the drivers. Catalysy 12.8 have the same OpenGL driver that came with Catalyst 12.7 BETA July 19; that version is 6.14.10.11762; and that's why the error still coming up.

Also, i have notice that this problem only happen with certain games. Maybe you wanna take a look on what games happen.

On my case for example, it happens when playing:
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops + NTSC USA (ULUS10290)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Predator (ULES01350)
For me it happens when playing (or attempting to play) Growlanser IV Wayfarer of Time USA. I've yet to actually make it to the first save point even though its only around 5 minutes into the game if you speed through the text. Not sure how often/fast it occurs for you but that's how bad it is for me (in that particular game anyway). Even with the new drivers I can't make it there though you implied you had better luck playing with the 12.7 beta (and now same 12.8) drivers
(08-19-2012, 11:41 AM)Lunarhawk2 Wrote: ... its only around 5 minutes into the game... Even with the new drivers I can't make it there though you implied you had better luck playing with the 12.7 beta (and now same 12.8) drivers
Yeah, same happen to me; about 5 minutes after start the the game (Menus does not count) comes the crash.

The only change since Catalyst 12.7 is the BSD (Blue Screen) does not show; was replaced by the "video driver stopped etc etc etc"
"Well if anyone wants to fool around you can try upgrading to LWJGL 2.8.4 (or the nighty's builds) , see if it fixes or breaks anything with ati. (Jpcsp comes with LWJGL 2.7.1).
So I would assume a few things might of been fixed, quickly looking at the change log..... (I personally see no difference w/ nvidia cards though Tongue)

I would strongly recommend doing it on a separate jpcsp install though since it's merely for testing and bug reports wouldn't count with it, (should be pretty easy to change just copy and replace any matching dll / lib and jar's in the jpcsp lib directory.) "

It worked!!! Got ATI mobility HD5650, updated today the drivers, downloaded lwjgl 2.8.4 and simply overwrote the .jar and .dll.
It's not the best result ever (still a bit slow sometimes) but it works fine! Smile
(or at least I played for like 30 minutes and then quit normally, while I could play only 5-10 max)

I strongly suggest the devs here to make the upgrade to the new builds of the emulator! Wink