This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
do I need more ram?
psp 
Hi, there's some problem when I try to use jpcsp, my pc specs:

- Win7 64 bits
- Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 (2 CPUs) 2,93 GHz (64 bits)
- 3GB RAM DDR2
- Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT 1GB

Java is updated (at yesterday) and both 32/64 are installed, nvidia driver is also updated (2 or 3 days ago). SonicStage is installed.

I tried to run a game with jpcsp 64 bits build r2574 and later r2621 but there was not a big difference, for some reason the FPS is always around 12-16 max, the game I'm playing is "Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai Portable". Only when it's playing a movie then the FPS goes over 50 (even though there's no sound).
I tried to increase the priority using task manager (java.exe) but even in real time nothing changes, there were no programs running in background but still the fps didn't go over 16.

I was reading that jpcsp works better with dual core cpus, what are the best settings for my pc specs? I enabled: Media Engine, Files Extraction in Tmp and SonicStage decoding. Atrac is installed and I tried the Sound Forge method but even that didn't fix the sound problem.
No, just set your jpcsp video option correctly. Show how it is now.
psp 
(07-18-2012, 12:29 PM)bugmenot Wrote: No, just set your jpcsp video option correctly. Show how it is now.

In Video settings I didn't change anything yet (everything is blank) just in Media settings.
"Igore invalid memory access" is also enabled in Memory settings. AA is disabled and even in Nvidia control panel I changed the java.exe personal settings to improve the performance. Anything graphic-related is disabled, like: triple buffering, antiscopic filter, aa mode, structure optimizations etc everything is off except preaddressed frames (set to 4) and thread optimization (enabled).
check
use vertex
use shader
save ge to texture

force disable vsync on nvidia control panel.

also, read the readme.
(07-18-2012, 01:44 PM)bugmenot Wrote: check
use vertex
use shader
save ge to texture

force disable vsync on nvidia control panel.

also, read the readme.

10x I think it's working, 17-21 fps in idle better than before. When there's text scrolling on the screen, in the beginning it drops to 12-13 fps then 17-21 again, maybe it's a font related problem? this game has only jpn text fonts.

I just noticed the CPU usage dropped a lot from over 80% to less than 70-almost 60% now, it really helped. I guess the fps issue is within the emulator.
Right, now then try to check:
disable ubo
enable dynamic shader generation

if that still doesn't help, try also to check
enable vao and decoding indexed

do note that some option may slow down your game, just uncheck it if it's so, there's no way to be sure for each game and gpu/driver.
(07-18-2012, 03:38 PM)bugmenot Wrote: Right, now then try to check:
disable ubo
enable dynamic shader generation

if that still doesn't help, try also to check
enable vao and decoding indexed

do note that some option may slow down your game, just uncheck it if it's so, there's no way to be sure for each game and gpu/driver.

Only with UBO disabled the performance is a little better, at some point it reached 22 fps, the rest didn't change anything and when I checked decoding of indexed textures, the fps turned really bad like 7-10 max.
Well, your main bottleneck is your GPU and not ram. Or it's just one of those game which JPCSP currently can't run at fullspeed.
(07-18-2012, 05:57 PM)bugmenot Wrote: Well, your main bottleneck is your GPU and not ram. Or it's just one of those game which JPCSP currently can't run at fullspeed.

It's probably both gpu and jpcsp because shortly after I start to play (around 10 minutes play time) the game freezes at the same point, I see it's already reported in the playable games forum. I think it's also a gpu problem because some graphic functions don't work properly with other games, like when I try to use AA in Minecraft it just ruins the whole game, on MC forum they say it's an issue of geforce 9 series about trilinear optimization or something like that, probably a massive manufacturing defect. Too bad this gpu has 1GB ram because it's totally wasted.
Sorry to say but RAM on a lower end range GPU serves as nothing but marketing buzz. Since most people think a GPU perform based on how much RAM it has.

As for the freeze you should make log of it and post on the game's thread to help.