This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low FPS
I've just installed this program 32-bit and tried to play Irregular Hunter X. The ISO preview has video and sound, but the screen freezes immediately after loading.

The FPS never gets higher than 5-7.

Is there a setting I need to change?

Thank you!
I think you need a better graphics card if you have a low FPS rate. I only have a notebook PC with the Intel HD graphics card so i am getting a low FPS and I dont think there is anything I can do about it Sad
Problem can be anything, starting with emulator itself. Maybe the game you want to play isn't supported. While some games run at full speed, some at half, some has really low fps, and there are games that doesn't load at all. Then there is your computer. I don't think buying a graphic card would resulting in a big FPS boost. Emulators (and especially JPCSP since it is written in JAVA, a really demanding programming language) tend to relying on RAM and CPU more than VGA.
thanks for the info megaten666! is there a guide somewhere for adjusting JPCSP's options to increase FPS??
Megaten that is true but you still need a pretty good graphics card before anything really good will come of the higher end emulators.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.7 GHz, GPU: Geforce GTX 550 Ti, Ram: 16 GB, Windows 7 64-bit
(07-12-2011, 09:40 PM)hackoncrack Wrote: thanks for the info megaten666! is there a guide somewhere for adjusting JPCSP's options to increase FPS??

No problem. As for the guide... well, I can't say much. In practice, many of the games needs specific features to be enabled. There's nothing like a universal setting for all game, so you really don't have that much freedom for what you can use and what you can't. You could try experiencing with "Maximum method size" under the "Compiler" tab in the "Configuration" submenu. You could also try Hyakki's launcher. Here's the latest version:
http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=977
With this tool, you can tweak some JAVA related things. If you're not familiar with those options, it has different profiles, which from you can choose the best fitting one for your PC. It's under "Basic" in "ADV", search for "System Profile". Other than that, I can't think of any other way to increase FPS.

(07-13-2011, 07:34 AM)Vegerunks Wrote: Megaten that is true but you still need a pretty good graphics card before anything really good will come of the higher end emulators.

Well, what I experienced so far, after comparing emulators and normal PC games, FPS boost was always bigger for normal PC games than in emulators. I still got more FPS, and some features (like shaders in JPCSP) needs certain better graphic cards (in this case Nvidia is the better choice, however ATI cards can use shaders too, it just difficult to make it work properly). But still, yeah, you got FPS boost with VGA, just not that much. I say it again, this is what I experienced at least... with an ATI card.
Quote:FPS boost was always bigger for normal PC games than in emulators.
that's cause pc games are written natively for your hardware. console games aren't, and the emulator has to translate the native psp instructions into pc ones before they can work, so there's always gonna be some lag and slowdown. as the emulator gets better, the speed increases, but yeah.

imagine that if your pc talked in english and psp in spanish, jpcsp is basically a translator. translates whatever psp says to english, and the pc to spanish so that they can understand each other, but his translating skills aren't the best. he learns and improves each day, so the translation becomes more accurate and fast, so that the two can communicate faster.

lol
(07-13-2011, 10:19 PM)serio Wrote:
Quote:FPS boost was always bigger for normal PC games than in emulators.
that's cause pc games are written natively for your hardware. console games aren't, and the emulator has to translate the native psp instructions into pc ones before they can work, so there's always gonna be some lag and slowdown. as the emulator gets better, the speed increases, but yeah.

imagine that if your pc talked in english and psp in spanish, jpcsp is basically a translator. translates whatever psp says to english, and the pc to spanish so that they can understand each other, but his translating skills aren't the best. he learns and improves each day, so the translation becomes more accurate and fast, so that the two can communicate faster.

lol

Heh Big Grin I'm a webprogrammer myself, so I can pretty much understand the translating things, along with the difference between PC/console games, but thanks for enlightening me Big Grin I'm not native english, maybe something lost in translation, what I meant is that getting a huge FPS boost with a better video card maybe true for PC games, but what I experienced, that's not the case for emulators. You still got a little (maybe), but according to my "researches", buying more RAM, or even CPU would be better... and that is because what you wrote serio. Because console games are programmed for CPU, unlike PC games, which written mainly for VGAs. And an emulator is kind of a translator, sometimes it's understand everything (so we get fullspeed with BGM) and sometimes it workes like shit. Am I correct? Smile
(07-12-2011, 08:07 PM)hackoncrack Wrote: I think you need a better graphics card if you have a low FPS rate. I only have a notebook PC with the Intel HD graphics card so i am getting a low FPS and I dont think there is anything I can do about it Sad

I Have good fps on JPCSP with this PC

CPU I3 350M with Intel HD Graphics 3000

On Jpcsp
- Enable Vertex cache (For estable not crashes for some games)
- Enable save ge screen to texture (For speedup 80% average most recommended games) ** Only supported on lasts versions intel drivers .
[Image: 1388267.png]
Quote:Am I correct?
well, i guess. the emulator is offloading some of it onto the gpu with the options like using shaders, vertex cache, saving stuff to textures etc. so it should eventually start to help quite a bit to have a better graphic card as the options get better and there are more of those.

that and java isn't exactly the fastest or best game-oriented language out there, but is good because of its cross-platform support.