This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona - ULUS10432
As my first post, here's some important info.

The game runs ALMOST perfectly using the current SVN r2260. I found it runs best with the OP settings, but with different video settings as follows:

(X means active)
-Disable VBO:
-Only GE graphics:
-Use vertex cache:
-Use shaders: X
-Use a geometry shader for 2D rendering: X
-Disable UBO:
-Enable VAO: X
-Enable saving GE screen to Textures instead of Memory: X
-Enable decoding of indexed Texturs (using CLUT) in shader: X
-Enable dynamic shader generation: X
-Enable the shader implementation for the "Stencil Test":
-Enable the shader implementation for the "Color Mask":

There are a few minor bugs, which don't hamper the gameplay except for the last one:
-Do NOT Enable Vertex Cache, as it will corrupt textures and cause black artifacts to appear while moving, and may render a block or two of the dungeon completely black when facing certain directions.
-Loading a Savestate seems to completely mute sound effects, but it still decodes music with SonicStage.
-It seems a certain line in the enemy formation is completely wrong, and makes the enemies there look as if they're the frontmost (See attached screenshot), confusing the player! As you can see, the blue enemy on the screenshot should be placed on the empty red square. Since it's the only formation line affected, if the actual frontmost enemies are defeated and they move forward, they appear correctly on their corresponding line, but the enemies that were behind it move to the buggy line and they start appearing as the frontmost. Player formation is not affected and appears correctly.

I would truely appreciate a fix for the last two, especially the third one as it looks like a quick fix. And thank you for this excellent emulator!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-09-2011, 08:13 PM)D-TurboKiller Wrote: ...
There are a few minor bugs, which don't hamper the gameplay except for the last one:
-Do NOT Enable Vertex Cache, as it will corrupt textures and cause black artifacts to appear while moving, and may render a block or two of the dungeon completely black when facing certain directions.
-Loading a Savestate seems to completely mute sound effects, but it still decodes music with SonicStage.
-It seems a certain line in the enemy formation is completely wrong, and makes the enemies there look as if they're the frontmost (See attached screenshot), confusing the player! As you can see, the blue enemy on the screenshot should be placed on the empty red square. Since it's the only formation line affected, if the actual frontmost enemies are defeated and they move forward, they appear correctly on their corresponding line, but the enemies that were behind it move to the buggy line and they start appearing as the frontmost. Player formation is not affected and appears correctly.

I would truely appreciate a fix for the last two, especially the third one as it looks like a quick fix. And thank you for this excellent emulator!

1: as for black artifacts, enable:
-Only GE graphics
-Use vertex cache
-Enable VAO
-Max method size: 500

You could set it to fullscreen with 640x480 (in this way, you get fullscreen still maintaining the full speed). These settings are winner for me, no bugs, my PC config is in my signature. ATI cards usually needs different settings than Nvidias, you may experience something else with my settings, however, it's worth a shot.

2: Savestates, I could say it's common problem with (almost) every game.

3: Enemy line bug, there is no fix to this problem yet.

The game is (aside from the enemy line bug) is bug-free and fully playable graphics wise. However, audio may confuse you in the future, because JPCSP's decoder is a mess (not an insult toward the development team, I'm grateful for what we have, I just think it needs some improvement). So to enjoy Persona to the fullest, I recommend decoding audio manually. Guide for decoding:
http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=1160
If you still have questions about it (why, how, what to use, etc.) ask me Big Grin Hope I was helpful Smile
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 7850 2.80 GHz RAM: 4GB VGA: ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB/256bit
Thanks for the tips! The graphical corruption is gone for good, and I can now play fullscreen at 800x600, any lower than that and it'll eat the right side of the screen, not that I wanted it that low anyway Tongue

I'm not having any audio problems myself, but if I do get some in the future I shall give that a try, so I appreciate it.

I have updated my signature below with my current specs. My lappy can apparently run the game at an average of 110 FPS, it only gets as low as 60 FPS on very sprite-filled rooms (not the dungeons). Perfectly playable on this Big Grin
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 @2.0GHz RAM: 3GB GPU: NVidia GeForce G105M 512MB/64bit
(08-10-2011, 11:41 AM)D-TurboKiller Wrote: ...
My lappy can apparently run the game at an average of 110 FPS, it only gets as low as 60 FPS on very sprite-filled rooms (not the dungeons). Perfectly playable on this Big Grin

110 FPS? O.O That's insane! Still I have stable 60 FPS everywhere, but 110 is just mindblowing knowing the fact that we talk about JPCSP. Maybe I need some hardware update in the future Big Grin Anyway, good gaming.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 7850 2.80 GHz RAM: 4GB VGA: ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB/256bit
I've been using the most recent build of JPCSP (2278) and I can't get sound on it (other than FX) despite having Media Engine selected as well as having Sound Stage installed and selected. Any ideas?
Hi, I'm new to this whole JPCSP thing and if I was wondering if I could get some help. I'm currently playing Persona 3 Portable but It's ridiculously slow when it comes to the 3d gameplay (usually 5-6 FPS), 2d animations are usually fine but those are usually 10-15 FPS. And I know it's not my computer since I have a HP 2.00ghz dual processor RAM. I've tried to download nearly every speed boost software there is but still no improvement. So I was thinking it was the JPCSP ever since I saw a video of this:Persona 3 Gameplay . I'm using the latest JPCSP so I'm really confused. Does anyone know what the problem could be, because I've seen videos of people using 60 FPS on lower versions then mine.
(08-20-2011, 11:15 AM)RoxasXIII Wrote: Hi, I'm new to this whole JPCSP thing and if I was wondering if I could get some help. I'm currently playing Persona 3 Portable but It's ridiculously slow when it comes to the 3d gameplay (usually 5-6 FPS), 2d animations are usually fine but those are usually 10-15 FPS. And I know it's not my computer since I have a HP 2.00ghz dual processor RAM. I've tried to download nearly every speed boost software there is but still no improvement. So I was thinking it was the JPCSP ever since I saw a video of this:Persona 3 Gameplay . I'm using the latest JPCSP so I'm really confused. Does anyone know what the problem could be, because I've seen videos of people using 60 FPS on lower versions then mine.

REALLY!? Again.
One more time!
Using R2326 here, decrypted game using my psp...

- No sound effects here, the emulator gives quite a long log of java errors everytime any sound effect is to be played.
- music work OK with sonicstage.
- The 3D labyrinth parts of the game are totally black, tried every possible combination of video choices . I have a Radeon HD5750 card 1GB vram. (on the official 1772 3d parts work well, but map is invisible.)

I can adjunt the log of the game, but i don't really know if this belongs here. Where i can post it?
I got black graphics in all hallways (the status icons still visible, and the moon) when turn on stencil test the hall is visible but the disable ubo needed for stencil test cause missing graphic
It happen in most 3D (or 2.5D ? like the wall in the hallway) psp games (except 3rd birthday) and for 3D/2.5D model only (like the wall in this game)
Is anyone know the reason (btw i tried it on both nvidia and ati) I might miss some plugins or driver ?
Changes in r2323 broke this game so it seems to be a bug in r2323. Hopefully it will get fixed some day, but in the meantime use r2322 to play this game without the black hallways.

Speaking of bugs, I wish to report a problem with the crypto engine. When I bring my Persona saves from my real PSP to JPCSP, they work just fine with "Handle SAVEDATA in crypto mode" enabled. However when I copy my Persona saves back to my real PSP after JPCSP has written to those saves, they are listed as corrupt. They play just fine on JPCSP though, but I can no longer use the saves from JPCSP on my real PSP even though those saves originally came from my real PSP. The same problem also occurs in Persona 2.