This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.7 Average
Why are you making a PS3 emulator?
Don't get me wrong I am not trying to discourage anyone, but I have some questions here. First of all, the motivation:

Why you are bothering? Is there any ultimate goal that drives you to keep committing and working on rpcs3?

I mean, do you wish to do this for the sake of completing it, or do you want to genuinely play PS3 games on x86? Or both?

Really what gives you the motivation to do this, and why are you putting effort in?

Do you have a goal set for your efforts, such as like you want to keep at this until it reaches a state you want it to? Or are you just adjusted to this and want to see where it can get?

How accurate you guys want to make rpcs3, such as do you really want to stay at it until it can play at least a respectable amount of commercial game?

Because you guuys do this as a hobby, no money is given, but I am just wondering where you want rpcs3 to get it and what your goal is for this and drive.

Thanks.
Well, FF 13 will not work because of RSX issues I think. In short, a game magnitude of FF 13 will not be working unless the RSX and renderer, among other things, are fixed(for obvious reasons I say, some crappy games are having rendering problems - I can image FFXIII). But your goal is to get FF 13 working, that's great.

However, when you say you "addicted", that means you do not plan on quitting this because I notice you are the second heaviest committer to this based on commit numbers on Git. If you quit, we all could be doomed!
I think Alex will stop with Rpcs3 when Rpcs3 will be an advanced PS3 emulator,because i think that FFXIII It's not so easy to emulate XD
FF XIII is indeed not easy to emulate... Will probably be one of the last games to even reach in game, let's not even talk about playable with only minor to no bugs. The good news is that DH seems to be working in the PPU recompiler (which will make everything 10-100 times faster), and Hykem is apparently working on spurs now (multithreading stuff that a lot of games depend on, even the audio in Arkedo). After this, and someone implementing several dozen gcm commands, I think a lot of games, most games even, have a pretty good chance of displaying something. Probably 75 % of all games that are just loadable show spurs and gcm errors now.

Question to Alex or someone else, how is work on the recompiler and spurs progressing? Should I get hype or stay calm for the time being? Wink
Asus N55SF, i7-2670QM (~2,8 ghz under typical load), GeForce GT 555M (only OpenGL)
Wow I had no idea the rpcs3 devs had a goal that massive (get ffxiii to be fully playable). That gets me excited thinking about the future of this project!

I had assume like cxbx it will get development but will be abandoned ... I guess this emulator will be the 7th gen. miracle in the future. Love Alex's purpose ... preserving the past. In 10-20 years who knows where microprocessors or computers as a whole will be.
If It's not just me noticing, rpcs3 has not loaded any 3D games yet, has it? I mean Disgaea and Arkedo games are all 2D, no 3D models, shaders, vertices, and other evil stuff that will make the current RSX foil. Basically, I think RSX needs a lot of work if any more advanced games are to work (especially without tons of graphic bugs/glitches).

Would freak if there was in-game of something like Rockband anytime in the coming months ...anyhow, any concerns on the insufficient graphics emulation output?

@Alex, I do have pretty good knowledge of PS3's hardware from reading countless articles from PsDevWiki and Wikipedia alike, along with some external sources. I don't mean FF 13 will never work ... I meant that it won't work now (obviously) or probably anytime in the near future because the RSX is not sufficient enough yet ... but it certainly could and (should) work eventually. Checking the RSX debugger, things aren't stable enough just yet.
(04-03-2014, 09:21 PM)AlexAltea Wrote: Answering to your question: Regarding DH's PPU recompiler, I hope to be wrong but it's going to take some time... I don't know how many free-time Hykem has, but that's probably going to come first. Btw, I find out that another developer is writing working on a recompiler for RPCS3 based on jitasm in his own fork.
Jitasm you say... That actually looks like quite an interesting approach.

(04-03-2014, 09:24 PM)mushroom Wrote: If It's not just me noticing, rpcs3 has not loaded any 3D games yet, has it? I mean Disgaea and Arkedo games are all 2D, no 3D models, shaders, vertices, and other evil stuff that will make the current RSX foil. Basically, I think RSX needs a lot of work if any more advanced games are to work (especially without tons of graphic bugs/glitches).

Would freak if there was in-game of something like Rockband anytime in the coming months ...anyhow, any concerns on the insufficient graphics emulation output?

@Alex, I do have pretty good knowledge of PS3's hardware from reading countless articles from PsDevWiki and Wikipedia alike, along with some external sources. I don't mean FF 13 will never work ... I meant that it won't work now (obviously) or probably anytime in the near future because the RSX is not sufficient enough yet ... but it certainly could and (should) work eventually. Checking the RSX debugger, things aren't stable enough just yet.

uh... Disgaea 3 is 3D. In fact, it is bugged in such a way that it almost only shows 3D, and none of the 2D sprites Tongue In fact, if you disregard the occasional Z-fighting (which also tells you that it must be 3D graphics), the 3D is actually perfect as far as I can tell. Looks good, no apparent bugs (except z-fighting), light effects and such are there, don't know how they work though (shaders?).
Asus N55SF, i7-2670QM (~2,8 ghz under typical load), GeForce GT 555M (only OpenGL)
Alex, tell us what will come first, FFXIII or GTA V? Tongue In case of FFXIII being first playable, then you should think of stretching your goal and keep working on emulator to make GTA V playable too! Angel
Rpcs3 team, I believe in you, you can do this! Big Grin Heart
(04-03-2014, 10:37 PM)mr.devolver Wrote: Alex, tell us what will come first, FFXIII or GTA V? Tongue In case of FFXIII being first playable, then you should think of stretching your goal and keep working on emulator to make GTA V playable too! Angel

Impossible to tell which would be playable first. However it is probable that when one of them works, the other can't be far away from working, probably.

In any case, these very advanced games will take a long long time to get working. Speculating is pointless right now.
Games like FF XIII or GTA V will simply not work anyways without improving the RSX though (among other things).