This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Tactics Ogre so blurry?
Hello there!

First time using this emulator and first time playing this game. Pretty excited to do so, even though it has the music issue.

I want to know why my game is so blurry, though.

I've tried all sorts of combinations of settings and no matter what it still looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/Ayi8q.jpg

But, well, not all the time - the world looks perfect aside from the fonts:

http://i.imgur.com/NEcaH.jpg

So, I mean, it can't be that using the resize feature is stretching the screen; it's pretty obvious that some parts of the game look great (world map, most of the menu, character portraits) whilst the rest looks awful (font, in-battle sprites).

Do I have a setting wrong somewhere? Or what's goin' on here?

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Sorry about Imgur's JPEG artifacts. The difference should still be noticeable.
You need to enable "saving ge screen to textures" and "anisotropic filtering".
One is under options/configuration/video, other is under options/video/filter
PSP native res is 480 × 272, 2D textures WILL look bad, anisotropic filtering will help but not magically so.
(12-19-2012, 11:21 AM)digiadventures Wrote: You need to enable "saving ge screen to textures" and "anisotropic filtering".
One is under options/configuration/video, other is under options/video/filter

I already had 'Save GE screen to textures' on, and all anisotropic filtering did was turn the world map blurry, too. I guess it's nice for consistency.

(12-19-2012, 12:52 PM)icecoffemix Wrote: PSP native res is 480 × 272, 2D textures WILL look bad, anisotropic filtering will help but not magically so.

Yeah, I understand. But obviously the resize function is using nearest neighbour for some things (World map, world map sprites, character portraits, chat bubbles) while the rest of the game gets stretched and blurred.

I don't mind at all if the game has gigantic pixels - I just don't want the game to be blurry Sad.
I am not really sure what are you talking about, games might get slightly blurred so that graphic look better, not pixalated.
Blurring is so slight that most people wont even notice it, but everybody notice pixalated graphic.
Here is pic I made, do you still see the problem ?
If so, there is nothing you can do, this is how game should look :
http://i.imgur.com/7EKux.jpg
Maybe turning off both saving ge screen to textures and anisotropic could help, but in this game I dont think you can disable saving ge screen, it causes graphic bugs
software mode might be what you're looking for while it does produce some black dots it makes it look as close to the psp as possible.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)