This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Some (possibly) New Ideas for RPCS3
Ok, I just thought of new idea for RPCS3 for speed-ups. You continue down the same path of dynamic recompilation for speed improvements, of course, but a new thought:

You pre-decode the entire binary step-by-step, either during execution whilst running itself or decode the entire game into an intermediate language before running. By doing this, you can cache the decoded "trigger instructions" that can directly modify state info of RPCS3. You are essentially caching and/or storing the instructions, however, the "instructions" will be in a form that the emu will read them and immediately take action without having to decode them.

Alas, you can of course run the game while doing this but it will be slower, so it can decode the binary in pieces and load it in completed segments.

Or you can just decode it all and wait a while (depends on some games, some over 10 GB I think and can take a while), but it would be worth it because you'll notice speed. Of course RPCS3 will need to be optimized for this, but nonetheless I would love to see what others think of this, as I really feel it could make a difference better than just dynamic recompilation.

On another note, I've tried this stuff before and while I did so in something much, much simpler than a PS3's architecture I notice performance increase because less clock cycles are needed, but much more RAM could be(RPCS3 may need to cache gigabytes of data in this fashion to see big speed-ups).

I know this all is probably too much to read and my English isn't quite perfect yet, but if you could see this the way I am seeing it working I think you'd at least see some benefit in this. I feel that this is one of the only methods where high-end games will see closer to full-speed on high-end computers on the market today and in the next 5 years.

Messages In This Thread
Some (possibly) New Ideas for RPCS3 - by Ontakeio - 04-24-2014, 09:46 PM
RE: Some (possibly) New Ideas for RPCS3 - by notq - 04-25-2014, 12:16 AM
RE: Some (possibly) New Ideas for RPCS3 - by Ontakeio - 05-14-2014, 05:15 PM