EmuNewz Network

Full Version: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - US - ULUS10505
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Exception in thread "user_main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Can be easily fixed by changing the following in your "start.bat":
-XX:MaxPermSize=64m TO -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

I've tried 96m first, but the PermGen error occured again after playing another game for a while and let it idle while gone doing "daily business".
I really don't know why gid15 came up with the latest setting of -XX:MaxPermSize=64m, because it does not make much sense when -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize is set to 64m, too. (sorry gid15).
(06-01-2011, 09:57 AM)BinarySlave Wrote: [ -> ]Exception in thread "user_main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

I've tried 96m first, but the PermGen error occured again after playing another game for a while and let it idle while gone doing "daily business".
I really don't know why gid15 came up with the latest setting of -XX:MaxPermSize=64m, because it does not make much sense when -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize is set to 64m, too. (sorry gid15).

the problem is not everyone has a lot of ram, for jpcsp to be usable for a wider range of people these settings need to be low (user can up them if they need)
if all the settings are set to a use a lot of ram people with low memory will get more crashes or possibly jpcsp not even starting up, not to mention they don't help every game since it takes away from the xmx setting.

as for the ReservedCodeCacheSize setting, I really don't think it does anything , I've never seen java disable the compiler even though it says so in the console, so could possible remove the ReservedCodeCacheSize line and add the extra 64mb to the more useful maxpermsize setting for 128mb
Hi...i have been trying to get kingdom hearts BBS to work but to no avail. I use jpcsp r2163. The game loads fine, plays the intro perfectly...when i start new game everything is working (including sound and voice) until the 3rd clip ends (or is skipped)...the screen turns white and thats all. I have tried to play with the configurations but still same result. I have also tried in the jpsp r2157. My pc specs are Core i5 2.8, 4GB DDR3, Nvidia 8400GS, Asus board, Windows 7 64bit. I am still wondering how you guys can get it to work. Could you give me a hand?
reduce the memory usage was not really a good move for this game, so i have to edit the Bat? i dunno how to do that,

but i do menage some bugs,(cheers) since i begined a new playthough finally:
and made a list of what they look and and how to simple fix it ^^

remembering you need the original game, roms don't will work

Aqua bug: you attack the unversed(the monsters), and she miss the attacks, the attack land on random order, and the Lockshoot with her don't go, this is that same bug that "awww i have to press "o" ten times to hit a single enemy:

- caused by save bla bla to Texture instead of Memory, unset this and the hits will land, the combos will go, and the speed its great

Enemys are squares or other poligonal forms: the monsters will be polygonal forms of some sort , you can hit and beat them but they look ugly

- caused by the mini map, you have to go into the game (open menu --> Configurations---> change the minimap set to Hide"

Comand Gauge its not appearing: The command Gauge will desapear sometimes

- caused by the mini map

White Lines on Screen\Transparent char: the character most of the times Ventus its transparent, the ground its weird, or there are white lines on the screen

- caused by resizing the game, do not resize it don't work and will only trouble you

Weird ground graphical glitch accompany you, in a scary form: on the ground they will be black lines,weird shaped shadows, corruption of the ground graphics or something like this

- caused by save to texture and resizing

I can only hear da Sound! oh noes Sad : you have sound but not video output

- caused by the resize filter unset him, unset the filters and put the screen x1, and go again

things that sadly are not bugs:

- The game its too slownnnnnnnn: for some reason you game feel slown...and unplayable

this is not a bug, Kingdom Hearts require a good video card, and a good bunch of memory to work properly, you will have to play with everything unseted on the video season, and the game will have to run decently , if it don't...its your pc Sad

this post will be edited with news on the new revision since now it appears that i can edit the bat(cheers) have a look at bubleblaster until i return

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593...aqua2.jpg/

danm this skill

i returned with good news for everyone Big Grin

lets get going

more bugs solved:

- my save don't work: you can't load a save from a older revision in the newest ones for some reason

begin a new game and it will work

- i can't pass Aqua vs Ventus spar in the tutorial in new revisions: beginning in some new revisions the tutorial is broken and you can't transmigrate your saves since the game gives you an error, and changing the memory usage in the launcher don't help this

make a save in a older revision(like before 2100), all of them can pass the tutorials, play all the way to the first save point, close you emulador, go in Ms0--->PSP--->Savedata, take Kingdom hearts save...., now open revision 2159 and put the save there, you can't load you save...that's normal, so selec "begin new game" the game you question if you want to skip the tutorial, select "yes", and you will jump directly to the screen were you select you characters and skip the bug

- my game have no sound: the game display videos but no sounds

its a problem with the sonic stage thingo

- the infamous command board bug, reports bug and deep space bug: when you open the command board and try to play a mini game you received and error message that scared the life out of you

download 2159 the bugs are solved in this revision, and that's all, the game seen playable, if i run into something else i will post it
(06-01-2011, 10:11 AM)hyakki Wrote: [ -> ]the problem is not everyone has a lot of ram, for jpcsp to be usable for a wider range of people these settings need to be low (user can up them if they need)
if all the settings are set to a use a lot of ram people with low memory will get more crashes or possibly jpcsp not even starting up, not to mention they don't help every game since it takes away from the xmx setting.
As a former 1GB user of JPCSP I know very well. (see my threads about ZHP Unlosing Ranger or Disgaea 2)
But 128MB + 64MB = 192MB fixed memory usage I don't consider too high for todays low-end computers, really.

(06-01-2011, 10:11 AM)hyakki Wrote: [ -> ]as for the ReservedCodeCacheSize setting, I really don't think it does anything
It does, believe me. Aedis Eclipse, which I've played through just a while back, needs this to be set at 64m minimum, otherwise it will always crash after a short while of playing.

(06-01-2011, 10:11 AM)hyakki Wrote: [ -> ]I've never seen java disable the compiler even though it says so in the console, so could possible remove the ReservedCodeCacheSize line and add the extra 64mb to the more useful maxpermsize setting for 128mb
As already pointed out, ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m is a minimum required for Aedis Eclipse. Kingdom Hearts seems to require even more as of the log posted just above my former post.
(06-01-2011, 09:57 AM)BinarySlave Wrote: [ -> ]Exception in thread "user_main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Is the code cache being allocated inside the permanent generation area (in which case MaxPermSize should be larger than ReservedCodeCacheSize)? or it is allocated additionally (in which case both sizes are independent of each other). I was not able to find clear information about this. Could you point some info on that?
It seems that most developers are using a MaxPermSize larger than ReservedCodeCacheSize... (often twice as large)

Thanks!
(06-01-2011, 08:54 PM)gid15 Wrote: [ -> ]Is the code cache being allocated inside the permanent generation area (in which case MaxPermSize should be larger than ReservedCodeCacheSize)? or it is allocated additionally (in which case both sizes are independent of each other). I was not able to find clear information about this. Could you point some info on that?
Thanks!
Unfortunately I mostly have my information from 1 other person and pure testing only. Yes, I have my problems with the official java-documentation myself (ever had).
But as I understand the workings behind both parameters now (through documentation, asking someone and a little testing), MaxPermSize does indeed include ReservedCodeCacheSize. From a simple logical point of view it has to, because the codecache is permanent and can't overrule the MaxPermSize.

(06-01-2011, 08:54 PM)gid15 Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that most developers are using a MaxPermSize larger than ReservedCodeCacheSize... (often twice as large)
This I have been told from a fellow developer who is developing java apps for networks. But he also said that often one and a half is sufficient. Strongly depends on the total size of the binary code itself and how much of it is used very often. So twice as much is often more a "be on the safe side" approach.

Yes, I know that my math example in my last post is not correct, sorry. But I had to ask someone else to shed some light on this matter and my little math resembles my former idea of it.

MaxPerm=128m - CodeCache=64m = 64m for the rest
...should be correct (after info from someone who is dealing with this since years).
I Recomended for view and debug Memory used the following commands may be useful and helpful

-XX:+PrintGCDetails This command is recomended for printed in the console cmd adds information about the memory status in the real time with you ram.
(06-01-2011, 10:34 PM)BinarySlave Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2011, 08:54 PM)gid15 Wrote: [ -> ]Is the code cache being allocated inside the permanent generation area (in which case MaxPermSize should be larger than ReservedCodeCacheSize)? or it is allocated additionally (in which case both sizes are independent of each other). I was not able to find clear information about this. Could you point some info on that?
Thanks!
Unfortunately I mostly have my information from 1 other person and pure testing only. Yes, I have my problems with the official java-documentation myself (ever had).
But as I understand the workings behind both parameters now (through documentation, asking someone and a little testing), MaxPermSize does indeed include ReservedCodeCacheSize. From a simple logical point of view it has to, because the codecache is permanent and can't overrule the MaxPermSize.
From the documentation I found (http://java.dzone.com/articles/java-perf...g?page=0,1), the code cache is not stored into the permanent generation space: the PERM space is managed by the GC and contains mainly the java classes. Because Jpcsp is generating a lot of Java classes generated on the fly (compiler), the PERM space has to be large enough the contains all the java classes. But this does not include the JIT code cache.
The memory reserved by direct buffers (nio) is also not included into the PERM space, it has again its own space (native heap: -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=xxxM). Jpcsp is also using a lot of direct buffers for the vertex cache.

Jpcsp cannot be directly compared to classic Java applications as it is heavily using dynamically generated classes and direct buffers.

Code:
-XX:MaxPermSize=64m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m
still makes sense to me. However, MaxPermSize could be increased to hold more Java classes (depending on the game).
(06-02-2011, 11:50 AM)gid15 Wrote: [ -> ]From the documentation I found (http://java.dzone.com/articles/java-perf...g?page=0,1), the code cache is not stored into the permanent generation space: the PERM space is managed by the GC and contains mainly the java classes. Because Jpcsp is generating a lot of Java classes generated on the fly (compiler), the PERM space has to be large enough the contains all the java classes. But this does not include the JIT code cache.
The memory reserved by direct buffers (nio) is also not included into the PERM space, it has again its own space (native heap: -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=xxxM). Jpcsp is also using a lot of direct buffers for the vertex cache.

Jpcsp cannot be directly compared to classic Java applications as it is heavily using dynamically generated classes and direct buffers.

Code:
-XX:MaxPermSize=64m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m
still makes sense to me. However, MaxPermSize could be increased to hold more Java classes (depending on the game).
See there are simply too many parameters concerning different kinds of memory usage and that's why I get confused myself too often.
What he told me sounded logical to me, that's all.

All I can say with 100% certainty is that "Lord of Arcana" and "Syphon Filter - Logan's Shadow" require more than MaxPermSize=64m.
As it seems, Kingdom Hearts is the 3rd which requires more.
Whereas in " Logan's Shadow" you will run into the MaxPermSize error very early at the beginning, "Lord of Arcana" requires you to play it for a while until this error occurs. But this I know for sure. Hope this helps at least a little bit.