EmuNewz Network

Full Version: Increasing the performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I have a question on how would it be possible to increase the performance of the emulator. I have a desktop PC with the CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad Core and a laptop with the cpu: Intel Celeron 1000m 1.8 GHz Dual Core. I have the idea to build a cluster by connecting the laptop and the PC via network. Since the CPU of the laptop has the SSE4 extenstion it can use the recompiler of the RPCS3. If I were running the emulator on my desktop PC, the laptop could do work that require the SSE4 instruction, while the PC could do everything else. My question is, if it is possible to perform something like this, and would it benefit in performance?
(07-14-2014, 02:59 PM)mixdix123 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I have a question on how would it be possible to increase the performance of the emulator. I have a desktop PC with the CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad Core and a laptop with the cpu: Intel Celeron 1000m 1.8 GHz Dual Core. I have the idea to build a cluster by connecting the laptop and the PC via network. Since the CPU of the laptop has the SSE4 extenstion it can use the recompiler of the RPCS3. If I were running the emulator on my desktop PC, the laptop could do work that require the SSE4 instruction, while the PC could do everything else. My question is, if it is possible to perform something like this, and would it benefit in performance?

It could maybe be possible in some custom operating system, but completely pointless. You would get like 0,00000000001 fps in Tetris because even gigabit ethernet would be an unbelievable bottleneck compared to the speed of the cpu registers and cache, and system RAM, where code and data would normally reside.

If you want better speed get a better CPU.
Talking about a better cpu: Intel released a unlocked haswell dual core (Pentium g3258) for like 70 dollars. Would be an amazing cpu for emulation if you are on a tight budget. I don't know how many cores rpcs3 uses, though.
(07-14-2014, 04:27 PM)Cold_Rock Wrote: [ -> ]Talking about a better cpu: Intel released a unlocked haswell dual core (Pentium g3258) for like 70 dollars. Would be an amazing cpu for emulation if you are on a tight budget. I don't know how many cores rpcs3 uses, though.

Running just Disgaea 3 I would say at least a quad core with hyperthreading would be a good start Wink Not that any CPU would be fast enough.

[Image: rty4xsz.png]
(07-14-2014, 04:41 PM)ssshadow Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-14-2014, 04:27 PM)Cold_Rock Wrote: [ -> ]Talking about a better cpu: Intel released a unlocked haswell dual core (Pentium g3258) for like 70 dollars. Would be an amazing cpu for emulation if you are on a tight budget. I don't know how many cores rpcs3 uses, though.

Running just Disgaea 3 I would say at least a quad core with hyperthreading would be a good start Wink Not that any CPU would be fast enough.

I looked it up and apparently rpcs3 can use up to 9 cores.. pretty sick.. all other emulators i know only use 2 or 3 at most. So in that case the g3258 wouldn't be that good indeed.
(07-14-2014, 04:21 PM)ssshadow Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-14-2014, 02:59 PM)mixdix123 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I have a question on how would it be possible to increase the performance of the emulator. I have a desktop PC with the CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad Core and a laptop with the cpu: Intel Celeron 1000m 1.8 GHz Dual Core. I have the idea to build a cluster by connecting the laptop and the PC via network. Since the CPU of the laptop has the SSE4 extenstion it can use the recompiler of the RPCS3. If I were running the emulator on my desktop PC, the laptop could do work that require the SSE4 instruction, while the PC could do everything else. My question is, if it is possible to perform something like this, and would it benefit in performance?

It could maybe be possible in some custom operating system, but completely pointless. You would get like 0,00000000001 fps in Tetris because even gigabit ethernet would be an unbelievable bottleneck compared to the speed of the cpu registers and cache, and system RAM, where code and data would normally reside.

If you want better speed get better CPU.

Yeah, that is true. But how can make then the real Supercomputers advantage of the clusters. Is it because they are doing batch/online processing instead of real time like the games or is it because they have some kind of special cables?
(07-14-2014, 05:35 PM)mixdix123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-14-2014, 04:21 PM)ssshadow Wrote: [ -> ]

If you want better speed get better CPU.

Yeah, that is true. But how can make then the real Supercomputers advantage of the clusters. Is it because they are doing batch/online processing instead of real time like the games or is it because they have some kind of special cables?

An easy example would be converting a video from one format to another. You can point say 100 computers to the same video file and then tell them to process 1/100th of the file each. The computers don't really need to communicate anymore, except maybe when saving the finished work. I would guess supercomputer clusters work with their tasks in a similar way.

In a normal program like rpcs3 you could instead have 100 threads on different cores that need to share any piece of random data to any other thread on any other core at any random time. You can no longer set up a task in advance like you did with the video file. Now all data needs to be accessible to every thread on every core at all time. I cannot stress enough how much slower sending this data through a LAN is compared to the CPU cache and even the comparatively slower RAM.

(07-14-2014, 05:17 PM)Cold_Rock Wrote: [ -> ]

I looked it up and apparently rpcs3 can use up to 9 cores.. pretty sick.. all other emulators i know only use 2 or 3 at most. So in that case the g3258 wouldn't be that good indeed.

The real PS3 can run 9 threads at the same time, but it's certainly not impossible for a HLE emulator like rpcs3 to optimize a lot of syscalls and such to use even more cores, in the future.

Pretty much there is no consumer CPU out there that can run rpcs3 with some heavier games (not arkedo/frogger, but at leas 3D) at decent speed.
Not that rpcs3 can emulate much of such games.
But in a few years (hopefully) some fully-playable (completable) complex games will appear and with other optimizations + newer CPUs it might be possible.
(07-14-2014, 07:17 PM)flashmozzg Wrote: [ -> ]

Pretty much there is no consumer CPU out there that can run rpcs3 with some heavier games (not arkedo/frogger, but at leas 3D) at decent speed.
Not that rpcs3 can emulate much of such games.
But in a few years (hopefully) some fully-playable (completable) complex games will appear and with other optimizations + newer CPUs it might be possible.

I´m pretty sure Intels Skylake(with DDR4 compatibility) will do the job.

What was the plan for DirectX? (forgot that over the time....) If the plan is to implement a DirectX method, is DirectX12 considered?
(07-14-2014, 08:36 PM)BC304 Wrote: [ -> ]I´m pretty sure Intels Skylake(with DDR4 compatibility) will do the job.

What was the plan for DirectX? (forgot that over the time....) If the plan is to implement a DirectX method, is DirectX12 considered?
Probably won't as it seems to be just another 5% improvement + new instructions and nothing more. And DDR4 doesn't make a difference as memory bandwidth is not bottleneck at all. They keep focusing on their integrated GPU, 4 cores is still the limit for consumer models.
Pages: 1 2