This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Emulator
You're lucky,mine hangs up
Am I the only one with this cool sig?
[Image: ji6WX.png]
[Image: 2404362.png]
(11-25-2012, 12:12 PM)Runo Wrote: That doesn't necessarily make it easier to code an emulator for it. It may mean you need a less powerful machine to emulate it in most cases.
Why not? Maybe is not rule but on this case i guess it will be easier.

I am not coder, but i guess that to take all process on the multiple Cores CPU of the PS3 will be a pain in the ass to redirect it to computer CPU which have less cores; on the 360 will be easier since his CPU is not that complex.

[Image: montcer.png]
(11-25-2012, 06:25 PM)Gundark Wrote: 5 GHz Haswell for running tetris.elf at 5fps in interpreter? Smile
haswell processor ?? they launched it ??
and montcer9012, i wanted to get a clear answer as you saw but i did nt get any i think we'll die without knowing it
if you want i ll make an extra grave for you Big Grin
(11-25-2012, 07:55 PM)montcer9012 Wrote:
(11-25-2012, 12:12 PM)Runo Wrote: That doesn't necessarily make it easier to code an emulator for it. It may mean you need a less powerful machine to emulate it in most cases.

I am not coder, but i guess that to take all process on the multiple Cores CPU of the PS3 will be a pain in the ass to redirect it to computer CPU which have less cores; on the 360 will be easier since his CPU is not that complex.

Technically 360 has 3 powerpc cores. There are two symmetric multithreading (SMT), finegrained hardware threads per core. So ultimately, it is like you have 6 processors. Each core contains a complement of four-way single-instruction, multiple data (SIMD) vector units called VMX128 and those cores run at 3.2 Ghz.

I don't think my 3.0 Ghz AMD Phenom (4 cores) can easily emulate those 6 processors :/.

Ok I heard one core is used for operating system purpose (does it mean only 2 cores are available for game code ?).

PS3 has only one powerpc core at 3.2 Ghz (called PPE, dual-threaded too, VMX/Altivec), has 6 SPU cores (powerful core but cannot execute a complete program as the code must be very small and the tiny memory is local to core). You may see those SPU cores working more as OpenCL cores.
we need sm1 from inside to tell us (that might be illegal but hey this is for the greater good Big Grin)
(11-26-2012, 04:26 PM)hlide Wrote:
(11-25-2012, 07:55 PM)montcer9012 Wrote:

Technically 360 has 3 powerpc cores. There are two symmetric multithreading (SMT), finegrained hardware threads per core. So ultimately, it is like you have 6 processors. Each core contains a complement of four-way single-instruction, multiple data (SIMD) vector units called VMX128 and those cores run at 3.2 Ghz.

I don't think my 3.0 Ghz AMD Phenom (4 cores) can easily emulate those 6 processors :/.

Ok I heard one core is used for operating system purpose (does it mean only 2 cores are available for game code ?).

PS3 has only one powerpc core at 3.2 Ghz (called PPE, dual-threaded too, VMX/Altivec), has 6 SPU cores (powerful core but cannot execute a complete program as the code must be very small and the tiny memory is local to core). You may see those SPU cores working more as OpenCL cores.

As I understand PS3 games almost never use all 6 SPUs due to a game porting policies. Other than Uncharted, in most cases we see 2-3 SPUs used which should make today 4 core CPUs enough. In a year or two when 6core CPUs become more common i think that it will be enough.
(11-26-2012, 04:26 PM)hlide Wrote: Technically 360 has 3 powerpc cores. There are two symmetric multithreading (SMT), finegrained hardware threads per core. So ultimately, it is like you have 6 processors. Each core contains a complement of four-way single-instruction, multiple data (SIMD) vector units called VMX128 and those cores run at 3.2 Ghz.
That review make look the PS3 like a poor console hahahaha.

Either way, i still thinking the PS3 is more complex than the 360 since each SPU cores of the PS3 are used to an specific function of games. (I read once on the magazine Popular Mechanics that it really have 8 cores, where the 7 and 8 cores was for emergencies and the OS). In fact, Crytek people complain about this console generation for the low average of RAM and not for the CPU's, so i guess this is good news for emu scene since there's not much process to code at same time. (On a 7 or 8 cores SPU's? hahahaha, it still being a hard work)

The 360 was best sellers but not for the hardware. On my country almost everybody have an 360 because it got pirated so quickly (Like the PSone); the PS3 on the other hand still being a trouble to pirate it so the popularity of the 360 over the PS3 was the pirate thing; not the hardware it self. On the 360 you can use the online pass even it is pirated; if your PS3 is pirated you can't go online.

[Image: montcer.png]
Well what I'm trying to say is :

xbox 360 can run up to 6 programs in parallel (all cores share the same big main memory).

ps3 can only run up to 2 programs through its PPE in parallel. Its 6 SPUs (minus one used for OS and one being deactivated if not defective) cannot run a big program as PPE can. You can only tell SPU to execute an algorithm on a limited set as a task. SPU is quite similar to GPGPU in the way to program them. You cannot run Firefox on a SPU for instance.

So if we want to compare the 6 logical processors of XBOX360, it must be with the 2 logical processors of PS3 due to its PPE. Its SPUs are as if we had another graphics card with core dedicated to general computation, not specifically for graphics rendering. People may think PS3 is more powerful but they are wrong. SPU has their strongness but their weakness too which make the portability of a game pretty hard on PS3 because of the oddity of SPU compared with the more general archictectures of PC, XBOX 360 and Wii (multi-core CPU).
ok !! but isnt the xbox 360 closer to pc than ps3 is ??
Yes, Hlide just said that in his post..
[Image: BowserCartSmallAni.gif]
My Rig:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz Stock
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 1GB GDDR5
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3 AM3+ Revision
RAM: Geil 4GB Dual Channel @ 1600Mhz