This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does "enable decoding of indexed textures ( using CLUT ) have to make graphic ugly ?
This is very useful option for several reasons-it provides speedup in some games,and in others it corrects some graphic problems.
However,in any game,when enabled it makes graphic looks ugly ( pixelated )
This is from jpcsp readme file :
- Enable decoding of indexed textures (using CLUT) in shader:
this option brings a performance boost when combined with
"Enable saving GE screen to Textures" and when the application is doing
manipulations on the Red/Green/Blue color channels of the framebuffer
(e.g. to implement some graphic effects, blurs or shadows). Available only as an
option as it might break the compatibility for other applications...

It doesnt say anywhere that this option has to disable texture filtering and make graphic pixalated...

So,I am wondering why it does that and can this be fixed ?
Is it maybe a bug with this option which has not been fixed so far ?
(11-01-2012, 02:18 PM)digiadventures Wrote: This is very useful option for several reasons-it provides speedup in some games,and in others it corrects some graphic problems.
However,in any game,when enabled it makes graphic looks ugly ( pixelated )
This is from jpcsp readme file :
- Enable decoding of indexed textures (using CLUT) in shader:
this option brings a performance boost when combined with
"Enable saving GE screen to Textures" and when the application is doing
manipulations on the Red/Green/Blue color channels of the framebuffer
(e.g. to implement some graphic effects, blurs or shadows). Available only as an
option as it might break the compatibility for other applications...

It doesnt say anywhere that this option has to disable texture filtering and make graphic pixalated...

So,I am wondering why it does that and can this be fixed ?
Is it maybe a bug with this option which has not been fixed so far ?
The reason is probably because I'm always keeping Jpcsp in the original PSP resolution, I never resize Wink
To analyze if an improvement is possible, could you take a dump of a single frame when reaching such a situation?

- enable "Disable optimized VertexInfo reading" and keep the other video options to a minimum (only enable those really required for the game to run).
- start the game and go to a part where you want JPCSP capture the frame.
- Select Debug -> Tools -> Debugger. A new window will appear and the game will pause.
- in the debugger window, under "Misc", press "Capture next frame"
- Press "Run": the game will restart just for one frame and all the textures and intermediate rendered images will be dumped. Wait for the game to automatically come back to "Pause" again (this could take several minutes). The dump is then completed.

Upload (on some file server) the generated images under tmp/*.bmp and the log file.
Always include a complete log file at INFO level in your reports. Thanks! How to post a log
Ok,here are the images :
http://depositfiles.com/files/pv5t5ednm

This is from final fantasy crisis core. For example,shinra logo is pixelated when option is enabled,while its not when option is disabled.
This does not effect 3d graphic.

Attached Files
.rar   log.rar (Size: 612.4 KB / Downloads: 79)
(11-01-2012, 06:06 PM)digiadventures Wrote: Ok,here are the images :

This is from final fantasy crisis core. For example,shinra logo is pixelated when option is enabled,while its not when option is disabled.
The log file was missing Sad. It is required to analyze the generated images.
A new dump has to be created as I need the log file that created the images.
Always include a complete log file at INFO level in your reports. Thanks! How to post a log
the CLUT pixelation issue seems to happen with this game engine (also used by other square games like crisis core).

the character in 3rd birthday has pixelation on the body, hair , as-well as the gun
(looks like it needs bicubic resampling)

3rd Birthday Using CLUT
textures (3 megs, 3gb uncompressed)
http://www.mediafire.com/?bdwj219fyud0e71
Log from texture capture.
.zip   Log_r2825(64bit)_INFO.zip (Size: 1.04 MB / Downloads: 92)

(btw sorry about the big window size I forgot to resize it to 1x when i did the capture)
(11-02-2012, 06:36 PM)gid15 Wrote:
(11-01-2012, 06:06 PM)digiadventures Wrote: Ok,here are the images :

The log file was missing Sad. It is required to analyze the generated images.
A new dump has to be created as I need the log file that created the images.

If you mean standard log we provide for games,I attached it,maybe you just didnt see it Smile
(11-03-2012, 09:41 AM)digiadventures Wrote: If you mean standard log we provide for games,I attached it,maybe you just didnt see it Smile
Whoops, sorry, I was just looking into the tmp.rar file and missed the other attachment Blush. Thank you for the post.
I've added this problem as Issue 325 (http://code.google.com/p/jpcsp/issues/detail?id=325 ).
The fragment shader has to be improved to interpolate the color from the 4 adjacent pixels, instead of just retrieving the color of 1 pixel.
Yah I have this issue as well.
Sadly it has not been fixed yet.
I was going to record a playthrough of Parasite Eve The Third Birthday but I will wait until the issue is addressed.
Without using CLUT the game becomes unplayable so I have no choice.
When using virtualdub I tried using a deblocking filter on one of my recorded videos from the game and it removes some of the pixelation but still not by much and compression time skyrockets when using that filter.

You guys do great work and I appreciate how much you improved on the emulation in the past year.

It's just that it needs texture filtering and CLUT handles it in a different way.