This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does "enable decoding of indexed textures ( using CLUT ) have to make graphic ugly ?
(12-16-2012, 04:47 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: It's just that it needs texture filtering and CLUT handles it in a different way.

Well hopefully they can fix it.
Without CLUT the game runs at an unbearable 12fps.
It shouldn't be too hard to implement better texture filtering with CLUT, but I guess it's not one of their higher priorities.

I am happy that I can play but there is such a big downgrade with CLUT on.

Also I noticed in the game that there is a lighting issue when using Liberation.
Currently uploading a video that has the issue.
(12-16-2012, 06:30 AM)RyviusRan Wrote:
(12-16-2012, 04:47 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: It's just that it needs texture filtering and CLUT handles it in a different way.

Well hopefully they can fix it.
Without CLUT the game runs at an unbearable 12fps.
It shouldn't be too hard to implement better texture filtering with CLUT, but I guess it's not one of their higher priorities.

I am happy that I can play but there is such a big downgrade with CLUT on.

Also I noticed in the game that there is a lighting issue when using Liberation.
Currently uploading a video that has the issue.

How about NOT posting the same problem in 3 different topics Angry
Well I deleted my first post, but this and the other one are both on topic.

I am just wondering if they are working on fixing this issue as enabling CLUT is the only way I can play most games on the emulator.

And the difference is quite large.

CLUT off

[Image: t02s.jpg]

CLUT on

[Image: t03vt.jpg]
If I remember correct, the issue is filtering textures that contain alpha transparency or a couple other parameters, I think CLUT can't do that natively because it allows 2 values for transparency, one for non-transparent and one for transparent and filtering it results into more possible versions than just those two (semitransparent) so what it does instead on those is use a linear filter.
Def, fixable if you treat those textures as different kind of textures but this needs a couple of stuff being worked.
Well I hope it does eventually get fixed.
I don't like to sound selfish because I do appreciate the work the devs do, but the issue with CLUT is the only thing holding me back from playing most games.

I did a short comparison video with CLUT on and off and not only is the picture quality largely different but the fps drops to slow mo.
First part is with CLUT on and the second is with it off.

Mind that since CLUT is not using texture filtering, the performance boost you might get could be strictly from the absence of texture filtering so fixing it might result to equal slowdown as not using CLUT.
Could someone try the following change in jpcsp.graphics.RE.REShader, line 1089:
Code:
    public boolean canNativeClut(int textureAddress) {
        // The clut processing is implemented into the fragment shader
        // and the clut values are passed as a sampler2D
        return useNativeClut && textureAddress >= MemoryMap.START_VRAM && textureAddress <= MemoryMap.END_VRAM;
    }
(line with "return" updated).
This change is enabling the CLUT processing in the shader only for textures stored in VRAM. It all depends where the game is storing his textures (VRAM or USERSPACE).

This is only a workaround as long as Issue 325 is not implemented.
Always include a complete log file at INFO level in your reports. Thanks! How to post a log
(12-17-2012, 10:50 AM)gid15 Wrote: Could someone try the following change in jpcsp.graphics.RE.REShader, line 1089:
Code:
    public boolean canNativeClut(int textureAddress) {
        // The clut processing is implemented into the fragment shader
        // and the clut values are passed as a sampler2D
        return useNativeClut && textureAddress >= MemoryMap.START_VRAM && textureAddress <= MemoryMap.END_VRAM;
    }
(line with "return" updated).
This change is enabling the CLUT processing in the shader only for textures stored in VRAM. It all depends where the game is storing his textures (VRAM or USERSPACE).

This is only a workaround as long as Issue 325 is not implemented.

with shaders and clut +change it causes 3rd birthday (actually nearly every game) to look like this, unless I did something wrong, I had to manually add a jpcsp import in for MemoryMap.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I wonder why implementing better texture filtering would drop fps by that much.
I hope that is not the issue but I won't know until it is fixed.

I am just confused as to how some people can play it much more smoothly than me without using CLUT.
The guy in this video uses a new AMD FX CPU but core for core it is around the same performance as my older phenom II x4 965.
The emulator seems to only utilize two cores so having more shouldn't improve performance.
And while he is not getting the full 30fps he still gets more than twice my fps when CLUT is disabled.
I am also using a GTX 570 so that is not an issue.

Yeah, same thing here with Project Diva.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)