This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does "enable decoding of indexed textures ( using CLUT ) have to make graphic ugly ?
Just got a new rev of JPCSP yesterday after finding that the buildbot was finally back up, and no changes. In fact, the graphics are significantly worse (I had to disable optimized vertex info to get text to display at all).
Gid, I hope you didn't forget that this option is still broken ! Smile
I tried with r3156 and there is missing graphic in some games...
Since using r3156, I've noticed that enabling shaders now activates bilinear filtering for some graphics in games. I noticed this most in Final Fantasy I and IV since they are primarily 2D games.

In addition to this, the problem of crappy lines around textures was supposedly fixed with this version, "Improvement of shader option "enable decoding of indexed textures (using CLUT)": avoid small border lines around textures." It seems the problem wasn't really fixed and that bilinear filtering was simply enabled as sort of an easy workaround. The problem still exists.

http://imgur.com/BfYjnLh.jpg

Windows 7 x64, Java 6r43 x64, GeForce GTX 670
I've disabled automatically the texture index decoding in the shader for swizzled textures. This is not yet perfect, but they seem to be very common in commercial applications.
Could you test if the small border lines and blurry effects have improved in your games?

Remark: r3162 is just deactivating the effect of "enable decoding of indexed textures (using CLUT) in shader" for some kind of textures. If a texture is not displayed anyway when disabling the CLUT option, don't expect improvements with r3162 Wink
Always include a complete log file at INFO level in your reports. Thanks! How to post a log
(05-24-2013, 03:41 PM)gid15 Wrote: I've disabled automatically the texture index decoding in the shader for swizzled textures. This is not yet perfect, but they seem to be very common in commercial applications.
Could you test if the small border lines and blurry effects have improved in your games?

Remark: r3162 is just deactivating the effect of "enable decoding of indexed textures (using CLUT) in shader" for some kind of textures. If a texture is not displayed anyway when disabling the CLUT option, don't expect improvements with r3162 Wink

r3164 does indeed solve the problem for me!

http://i.imgur.com/cTvXNCr.png
(05-24-2013, 03:41 PM)gid15 Wrote: I've disabled automatically the texture index decoding in the shader for swizzled textures. This is not yet perfect, but they seem to be very common in commercial applications.

This has fixed the issues with missing and incorrect textures in games when this option is enabled, great work as always gid Smile

I am not sure I understand your question about border lines and blurry effects ? Fix your applied first is still there - texture filtering is not disabled when this option is applied, everything is fine Smile

About border lines, if your are talking about unwanted lines in 2d games when filtering is applied, it's still there. I don't think you can fix it, because nobody can, this bug is in all emulators with 2d games such as ppsspp, pcsx2 and so on. Only fix is to use special kind of filtering in ppsspp it's called xBRZ for example.
But there is a drawback, it makes graphics looks cartoony.

If you would manage to fix border lines with this better filtering jpcsp is using now, it would be nothing short of a miracle, because nobody managed to do this Smile

EDIT: To clarify what I am talking about, filtering is clearly disabled in the screenshoot Cat Slobber provided, that's why there is no border lines. If he went to video/filtering and clicked on anisotropic there would be border lines

Bottom line, in 2d games, it's either unwanted lines or no filtering, unless special kind of filters are used which makes everything looks cartoony.
But maybe you can do it gid, make normal filtering and no border lines Smile

This fixes the problems I was observing in Dissidia 012.