This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSP-assisted JPCSP
Wait... what?

I have been playing Metal Gear Peacewalker to my hearts content. What makes it so great to play is the HD converted graphics compared to the PSP native resolution(480x272). I'm playing it in 1280x1024(4:3), so there are black bars on top and bottom, but the visual quality is astounding, like I'm playing an actual console. I know this is possible because of the emulator itself decoding everything into something our computers can understand and that this visual upgrade is a bonus. Downside of course is the drastically decreased compatibility and glitches, if the game is even playable.

So my question is, is it a feasible project to use a PSP in conjunction with a computer to play PSP games on a computer with converted HD graphics? Devs?
I personally don't think this would be possible without an emulator, it would be impossible for the pc to intercept the psp graphics and convert the graphics in real-time to a higher resolution while keeping insync with the psp, you could probably use a upscale filter but it would still look blury since its just a filter over the native resolution zooming it 2x or whatever Smile.

Jpcsp was created to accurately emulate the PSP not make games run fast or look good, Jpcsp compatibility and speed will continue to improve over time as more native compiler code is added and more optimizations take place.
I see what you mean, I thought of that too but even if it was possible you would need technically to break apart your PSP and connect it to your PC with some massive cables in a way debug stations for PSP work. One thing that could theoriticaly give the kind of advantage you want is if commercial PCs would use MIPS processors (I know lame) which would make the recompilation process minimal and less complicated, but even then, the dynarec would need to be rewritten from start which is not worth the effort.
Coldbird already has a plan on how to make this PSP-assisted JPCSP possible: http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2...10#p115377

No need to crack open your PSP, you just need to connect it to your PC via USB just like with RemoteJoyLite. Of course, no idea when Coldbird will actually start working on this project. It could be that by the time he finishes the project, JPCSP will already have perfect PSP emulation and no longer needs to be PSP-assisted.
Yeah theoriticaly possible but PSP's USB hardware and USB 2.0 as a whole is too slow for all those stuff he wants to assign it to do and on top of that all at the same time. That's why I said you'll eventually need to break it to pieces if you want to do such stuff because the transfer rate or even the USB controller of the PSP as a hardware is way under the minimum requirements for such project. Firewire or USB 3.0 could be start of a debate if it can or not, but with such a sloooooooow USB controller as PSP's you can thank god that it can even do remotejoy as it does it. If it was possble I guess since that post something would have been public now.
It's easier to think of ideas than bring them to life. Granted, it's been a while since that intention was posted in wololo. Sure, I can imagine it won't be simple at all. But I tend to disagree with you, virgin. USB 2.0 transfer rate is what, about 7 megs per second? Doesn't that seem more than enough if just a fraction of the processing will be routed to and from the PC? I imagine it would be all about efficiency in using the actual pipes between the two devices. And if syncing the PC and PSP is the problem(and I imagine it would be), wouldn't a generated buffer in the PC be sufficient for that?

And yes, hyakki, it being just an upscale filter wouldn't work because we already have that with Fusa and Remotejoy.

And virgin, I imagine you're right in saying the project would have to be rewritten from scratch. The project itself would have a totally different purpose. JPCSP is for emulation. The concept we're talking about, I don't know if there's even an accurate word for it yet, but an idea is so much greater than a word. An idea not even HAVING a word for itself yet is exciting, isn't it? Smile

What would it entail? I personally think it would give new life to the PSP for its owners. I would play tomb raider, crisis core, all the other magnificent games in the PSP all over again IN GLORIOUS HD with possibly minimal concern for compatibility and settings(theoretically). I think it would be worth it. Big Grin

Not goading any devs into working on this, though. It's just an idea. For now... <evil laughter>
USB 2.0 is nearly enough theoriticily, I can't dissagree. What I said is that the USB controller of PSP as hardware doesn't reach even the half of it's limmits plus it needs a fast IO processor bus for such opperations when PSP has the slowest IO processor of it's generation. There are some more restrictions like the architecture of PSP as hardware or restrictions from the actual kernel which caused alot of projects that relied on such functions to stall, even Sony's own assisted emulation project of the PSP on the PS3 which ended up simply as an emulator for Minis and abandoning completely the registered schematic for that project.
(09-30-2012, 08:55 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: USB 2.0 is nearly enough theoriticily, I can't dissagree. What I said is that the USB controller of PSP as hardware doesn't reach even the half of it's limmits plus it needs a fast IO processor bus for such opperations when PSP has the slowest IO processor of it's generation. There are some more restrictions like the architecture of PSP as hardware or restrictions from the actual kernel which caused alot of projects that relied on such functions to stall, even Sony's own assisted emulation project of the PSP on the PS3 which ended up simply as an emulator for Minis and abandoning completely the registered schematic for that project.

ouch. okay that makes sense. psp IS a pretty old handheld now and i think it was among the first to utilize different communication methods like infrared(fat), wifi and i think USB even. Undecided