This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JPCSP extremely slow?
I'm new to PSP emulation and just installed JPCSP today as my only wish was to play "Ultimate Ghosts'n'Goblins" on my PC. Unfortunately it's extremely slow and therefore unplayable on my PC (1 or 2 fps in game). It's interesting that this emulator runs that slow on my computer as other emulators like e.g. PCSX2 runs almost at native speed here...

My specs: AMD64 X2 4200+, 2 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD2400. I installed the latest JRE from Sun's page on my Windows XP SP3 (32bit).

May I ask why JAVA was used to create this emulator? Is a native Windows program not more effective and faster than JAVA? Sorry to ask - I just want to have so info on that.

Is there anythink to speed up emulation on my system?
vga drivers??!! and i guess some configuration are wrong
but here this JAVA emu is deferent from PCSX2 because pcsx2 is based on c++ i think
try cube iso for speed test
pcsx2 has been in development for a very long time and by a much larger team, if you look at pcsx2 from 2005 you will see the speed is much different then what you see today (for example ff10 only played at 5fps with major textures issues.)

matter of fact i have a screenshot of pcsx2 from that time period Tongue.
[Image: nvr6yr.jpg]
http://i55.tinypic.com/2lsi7nm.jpg

so most emulators develop over time as long as they stay active, I'm sure Jpcsp will get faster and more compatible over time, not to mention in the last few years jpcsp has already accomplished a lot .

anyways 2 gb of ram could be a bottleneck for java so you might want to adjust the -xmx size, make sure all your drivers are up to date, some ati cards are know to have problems with shaders try to disable the shader option.
Thank you for the infos! Smile

I tried the latest MacOS X version of JPCSP on an 3.06 GHz iMac with 4 GB RAM and it's as slow as on the older PC I have.

I only want to play "Ultimate Ghosts'n'Goblins" but regardless of whether I try it on the AMD64 X2 4200+ Windows PC or on my 3.06 GHz iMac ingame fps is always 1.

I've seen a video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAobPQYud74) that a guy is playing that game with JPCSP in full speed. How could that be archieved??? Is his PC the latest and fastest model available or is there a trick (besides his settings)?
You need to enable several options in the Video configuration to get decent speed: Use vertex cache, Use shaders, Use a Geometry shader, Enable VAO, Enable saving GE screen to Textures, and Enable decoding of indexed textures. The option that most affect speed is the Enable saving GE screen to Textures one, so you need to enable that one at all times and experiment with the other options to see if they help or not on your system.
Sorry but I can't get a better performance. Moreover I think with this JAVA interface the emulator doesn't seem to be very stable. There are both display problems and slow reaction of the GUI on my PC and iMac. I do not think that using JAVA is a good solution for not state-of-the-art computers...
I'm really mad about this JAVA thing. I installed JAVA both for 32bit and 64bit on my Windows 7 64bit. When I'm using the 64bit JPCSP it does not load the UMDs at all, with the 32bit JPCSP the emulator crashes as soon as I double click an UMD. Damn!

I tried to uninstall all JAVA versions, tried to install 64 bit only, then 32 bit only, then JAVA 7. All with the same result. Maybe it's this stubborn Windows or JAVA is a piece of crap.

Will there be a native Windows version, too? This emulator seems to be good, JAVA not.
I doubt its the emulator since other people can play the game at decent speeds, the problem must be your videocard , have you tried other opengl games/programs on this card? (not directx)

make sure you are using the latest build from here
http://buildbot.orphis.net/jpcsp/

as for Java, Jpcsp will always use Java., pcsp uses c++ but its still not as compatible as Jpcsp yet.
I tried it on a Windows 7 PC as described above (dual core 3 GHz, ATI 4850). All versions of JAVA 32bit, 64bit, both. Not working.

Other games are working without any problems. I have a lot of emulators installed (e.g. PCSX2 works great), a lot of games - no problems at all. Videocard is fast enough for all other things.

I tried it on another Windows XP SP3 PC with JAVA 32bit installed - sometimes it works, sometimes not. Especially if the screen resolution is set lower then regular the windows of the configuration screen are cut off so I do not see all. Man, this JAVA thing is crap.

I tried the MacOS X version on a new iMac. Same problem. I'm in the UMD loading screen and wand to load a game - but I can click what I want it does not load anything. I tried loading UMDs with the regular open dialog but it still does nothing.

I really can imagine why Apple is considering dropping JAVA support...
not working doesn't help diagnose the problem, any error messages show up in the command window?

I also see in all your test pc's every video card has been an ATI, unfortunately ATI has buggy OpenGL Shaders and maybe this particular game needs shaders to run correctly, do you have any computers with nvidia that you can test with?
just use your PSP to play it for now, or wait until a more stable release build of Jpcsp comes out where its been more thoroughly tested, right now its going through a lot of code changes.

-anyways last info i saw about this game is Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins - ULUS10105 - Half Playable (Encrypted) < but there has been no update since the old computability list so who knows what the game is doing now (no one has made a new game thread for it Smile )