This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kingdom Hearts BBS FM weird graphic card behaviour/bug
Hey everybody!

First post here but some of you may know me already.
I've been trying to play Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Final Mix with the latest builds (32bit and 64bit) of JPCSP over a month now and I came across a very weird/intresting bug that appears on Nvidia GeForce GT620M but not in the intergreated Intel HD 4000 on the same device/laptop with exactly the same settings. (I don't thing that my specs in this case are important but it's a Windows 7 Ultimate SP-1 64bit + i5 3210m + 4GB RAM)

The first one affects the shadows (I know that they are buggy, I'm ok with that bug but this one is even buggier) plus if you notice at the background you an see that the image looks like posterized/16bit or the NVIDIA one though I have checked from the ingame menu the 32bit option.

Intel HD 4000 (Everything's fine except the known shadow bug):
[Image: intelhd4000.jpg]

Nvidia GeForce GT620M (Terrible buggy texture streched to all axes, also posterizing/16bit effect in background):
[Image: nvidiageforcegt620.jpg]

Also another problem with the lighting. On the Intel one it's OK, everythings perfect, but on the NVIDIA one you can see a weird pixelation on the lighting which leaves ghosts on the next frames making the game after a point impossible to be played because of way too many ghosts overlaying everything.

Intel HD 4000 (Perfect):
[Image: intelhd40002.jpg]

Nvidia GeForce GT620M (pixelated lightning which leaves ghosts in the next frame and stay forever there, check Aqua's shoulders) :
[Image: nvidiageforcegt6202.jpg]

I've noticed that this or a simmilar issue has been posted a year ago (http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=8885)

Dunno if it helps but I noticed once that I could read a text in that buggy texture in the shadow; it was saying "SHOP" shich is the same texture used on moogle shops.

Another thing that happens and I don't get it's a weird bug with the flow of the frames. I don't encounter any slowdown at all at any resolution/antialiasing combination but it seems like the emulator renders missalligned the frames, example:

1st frame, 2nd frame, 3rd frame, 5th frame, 4th frame 6th frame and so on... ...like a jitter or better like the game rewinds back for a split second which is something I never seen in my life again! XD
Over 100 views plus over 2,5k views on the thread somebody posted a year ago and nobody could give me an idea why this happens or direct me to possible ways to debug it? Hmm...
The best I can say is maybe the OpenGL implementations are different for each manufacture, as far as I know I don't think shaders work correctly on Intel (and ATI) cards and even though they are checked the emulator will automatically disable them behind the scenes when they fail to compile a successful result (you can see this in the logs on the INFO setting usually), Have you tried to disable shaders on the nvidia card to see if it produces a similar result?
Whatever combination I try doesnt fix it OR it produces another issue. Disabling shaders also makes the game have zero light effects and makes it look like its a model script from 3dmax or something. Also the funny thing is that JPCSP supposed to not like Intel GPUs but for some weird reason I always had issues only with ATI/AMD and Nvidia GPUs. The only issue with Intel os the speed hit.

Should I provide a log from Intel and a log from Nvidia for comparison?
Also I dont get that posterizing effect on background textures, I dont get what causes it...
About the framerate missallignment, I get a feeling that JPCSP after a point it enables automatically frameskiping which doesnt work on that game and even though it's disabled on the menu, it's actualy enabled internaly and I am unable to disable it.
(09-08-2012, 02:41 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: Whatever combination I try doesnt fix it OR it produces another issue. Disabling shaders also makes the game have zero light effects and makes it look like its a model script from 3dmax or something. Also the funny thing is that JPCSP supposed to not like Intel GPUs but for some weird reason I always had issues only with ATI/AMD and Nvidia GPUs. The only issue with Intel os the speed hit.

Should I provide a log from Intel and a log from Nvidia for comparison?
Also I dont get that posterizing effect on background textures, I dont get what causes it...
About the framerate missallignment, I get a feeling that JPCSP after a point it enables automatically frameskiping which doesnt work on that game and even though it's disabled on the menu, it's actualy enabled internaly and I am unable to disable it.

Sure I don't see why not, it's always nice to have logs maybe gid15 (when he gets back) can figure out why the game looks better on Intel, I don't think a lot of people with Intel cards have posted logs so maybe it could provide some new information, the bugs with nvidia could just be some kind of optimization nvidia put into their drivers to speed up rendering opengl, have you tried to change anything in the Nvidia control panel? like the 'High Quality' setting (that should disable most Nvidia optimizations)

I think I did everything that could be done with the NVidia settings menu, nothing works. Sad I'll post a translated screenshot of the Nvidia Settings too. (The texture filtering setting does nothing)

But before I post a log, which level should I set it? ALL sounds a bit too much but if it is important I'll do it.

EDIT:
Also, what the hell? Go to NVidia's official site. Check for Nvidia's GeForce 600M series and then 620M model. There's no drivers for it? WHAT? Not even one? Mathematicaly impossible, something is going wrong. This doesn'y make sense because when I check if there is an update from NVidia's panel it says it's up to date when in reality with this situation it should report an error right? Also there are some intresting drivers (intresting optimizations/implementations) in the beta section, some of them just some weeks old. Should I use them? What's your experience with NVidia's beta drivers?
(09-09-2012, 03:50 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: I think I did everything that could be done with the NVidia settings menu, nothing works. Sad I'll post a translated screenshot of the Nvidia Settings too. (The texture filtering setting does nothing)

But before I post a log, which level should I set it? ALL sounds a bit too much but if it is important I'll do it.

EDIT:
Also, what the hell? Go to NVidia's official site. Check for Nvidia's GeForce 600M series and then 620M model. There's no drivers for it? WHAT? Not even one? Mathematicaly impossible, something is going wrong. This doesn'y make sense because when I check if there is an update from NVidia's panel it says it's up to date when in reality with this situation it should report an error right? Also there are some intresting drivers (intresting optimizations/implementations) in the beta section, some of them just some weeks old. Should I use them? What's your experience with NVidia's beta drivers?
logs should be made on the Info setting Smile.

as for drivers, Usually nvidia geforce and quadro drivers should work on any desktop videocard though some might need a modified inf (usually found over on the guru3d forums) if the card isn't supported officially.
Since you have a M card (mobile) you might have to obtain drivers from your system manufacture like dell, hp , Sony ...etc depending on if they changed any specs to make it work in the notebook, or maybe a site like laptopvideo2go they usually have modified inf's for notebooks but I have never tried them....

as for beta drivers, I almost always use them, I never had any problem with them but they are beta so I usually wait a day or two to see if anyone had any major issues with them, I'm currently running 306.02.
Here are 4 logs, 2 different cases for each card, NVidia does it buggy Intel does it perfect so you can compare what's wrong.

-In the "jump" one, I load the game then load the save of the area with the posterizing issue and jump 3 times, on Intel everything's fine but on Nvidia when I touch the ground i see the posterizing issue but when i jump and i reach the top limmit i can jump the posterizing effect is fixed magically until I reach again the floor.

-In the "Buggy Cutscene" I load the game and then I load up a cutscene (Aqua-Keyblade Graveyard-Gathering) which has all the issues altogether which cause a huge chaos onscreen (shadow and this weird lighting issue that looks like pixels that stay on screen) and leave it playing till the end and then I quit jpcsp. Again Intel is OK.

If there is any other game of PSP that has issues between Intel and Nvidia tell me and I will do my best to create simmilar comparison logs.

So here are the 4 logs zipped altogether:

Attached Files
.7z   Logs Comparison.7z (Size: 22.39 KB / Downloads: 82)
hm the only difference I see is Intel uses OpenGL version: 3.3.0 - Build 8.15.10.2761
where nvidia uses OpenGL version: 4.2.0

maybe jpcsp/lwjgl is enabling extra features available in 4.2 but is ultimately causing glitches, If you want you could try to update jpcsp's internal lwjgl implementation with the latest version found here (http://lwjgl.org/forum/index.php?topic=4608)

before attempting to upgrade don't mess up your current Jpcsp install - backup the current jpcsp install or copy the jpcsp directory to another folder (or at minimum make a backup of the current Jpcsp 'lib' folder so you can swap back later).
with lwjgl-2.8.4.zip
from the 'jar' folder in the archive copy the .jar files
to
jpcsp\lib\ (overwrite existing files)

then in the archive folder 'native\windows'
copy only the 64bit prefixed dll files (ie lwjgl64.dll) to the 'lib\windows-amd64' folder, or the other ones to the 'lib\windows-x86 ' (depending on if you use 64bit jpcsp or 32bit)

I'm not sure if this will fix anything or make it worse but it might be worth a try Smile
Agh, forgot to mention that I tried that, doesn't seem to break anything but also doesn't seem to fix anything... :'( I need help