This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help configuring jpscp to pergorm better on laptop.
I have an HP laptop 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Nvidia Geforce 9600M Gt Graphics card
4 gigs of ram

How can I improve performance? I have bad fram issues with KHBBS Final mix and sometimes the game just freezes when loading into a different are.
You may want take a look on the JPCSP "ReadMe" file on section 7 because it have the info about what the video options do. For example, look this one:

Code:
- Enable decoding of indexed textures (using CLUT) in shader:
    [b]this option brings a performance boost when combined with
    "Enable saving GE screen to Textures"[/b] and when the application is doing
    manipulations on the Red/Green/Blue color channels of the framebuffer
    (e.g. to implement some graphic effects, blurs or shadows)

Also, you can try updating Java. I use Java 7 Update 5 and it bring me a little boost than using Java 6 Update 32.

On your system specs the flaw part is the CPU but is fast enough to bring a decent speed; maybe not full but at least playable speed. The video card is Nvidia, the brand that dev team use to test the emulator so it may work nice.
[Image: montcer.png]
Thanks for your response. I am looking at buying a new laptop (desktop replacement laptop). What specs should I look for to run jpscp at max settings? I will also use it to run other emulators like ps 2, etc.

(08-17-2012, 07:58 PM)thegameksk Wrote: I am looking at buying a new laptop (desktop replacement laptop).
I didn't understand the point; a laptop to replace a laptop?

Also, the specs you will look for depends on how much money do you wanna spend.

I own an HP pavilion dv6 that cost me 600$ past december 2011. It comes with:
AMD A8-3510mx APU with Radeon 6620g (512mb dedicated)
8GB RAM 1333MHz

With that laptop i am able to run TES-Skyrim on high settings (1366*768) without lag. Games that use frostbite 2 like Battlefield 3 and NFS The Run also run without lag on high. At maximum they lag but i cant complain cause the performance is very good on PC games. As i say, PC games.

Unfortinelly, ATI video cards does not work properly with JPCSP so the performance i got on PC games is lost on JPCSP. The important point to work with JPCSP is a decent modern CPU with a NVIDIA video card.

Also i have some problems on PCSX2; besides the A8-3510mx is a quad core CPU the maximum speed for each core is 2500MHz and PCSX2 is does not take much advantage of that. The important point on PCSX2 is the CPU speed being 3000 MHz the recommended speed.

So, taking notice of all that information, you may want look for a laptop with an Intel CPU like i5 that can get the 3000 MHz with a NVIDIA video card. That will be an average computer. If you want spend much more money cause you want a laptop that runs everything you put there look for a Intel i7 extreme with an NVIDIA video card.

If you just want PC gaming then AMD APU's A10 are a good idea too cause clock speed can get more than 3000 MHz and the video card is a Radeon 7660; price/performance will be very nice.
I travel alot since I am an American teaching overseas and I need to have my cpu be portable. This is why I need a laptop but mine now is about 4 years old so i'd like to upgrade. I was looking at getting something like this:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-of...otebook-PC. What do you think?
That one for sure can handle games on JPCSP and PCSX2 hahahaha. The best upgrade you can make it is the i7-3820QM cause on 1 core can get 3800 MHz and 3500 MHz with the 4 cores.

Edit: The flaw part is the HDD on 5400 rpm. The best way is a 7200 rpm HDD cause allow you high storage capacity on decent speed. If you don't storage much information better get and SSD because is much more faster than a 7200 rpm HDD BUT lifetime is shorter than a HDD.
I dont think id upgrade it to the best. I was planning on maybe upgrading to the second option or just keeping it as is. If I went with 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) how would it run?
i7-3610qm still being a very good option; the difference between i7-3820qm is just a few hundreds MHz; i suggest it to you because i7-3820qm will be a very good CPU for a long while.

If you want take a look of a comparison here:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/337/Int...(PGA).html

So as you can see i7-3610qm can reach over 3000 MHz but always on the limit so maybe sometimes you will experience a little lag on PCSX2; but nothing to be afraid cause can be solved with a few tricks.
So if I go with the best upgrade then it will make my laptop future proof? If so that is something I think id do.
(08-17-2012, 10:48 PM)thegameksk Wrote: So if I go with the best upgrade then it will make my laptop future proof?
You are right; but shit! I haven't notice the price!! i7-3820qm add to the budget 400$ Confused ... Is very expensive for the low boost between i7-3720qm.

i7-3720 give you more speed adding just 100$ to the budget so take that option. That CPU is future proof as well and price is good.

Before making the purchase you may want take some more advices; but NEVER, read careful, NEVER take the advice of the people on the store; they will offer an expensive machine and not always the more expensive is the best.