This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
3D Scene export and Texture modding available in r2572
i can't find any free program that can show this problem (all of those listed here so far don't, either because they can't/won't texture the model or they render as 2 sided), but doesn't 3ds max have a free 30 days trial?

edit: i found the problem. it only happens in an old version of 3d studio max, new one doesn't seem to have that problem. maybe its obj importing was bugged. i should stop using outdated software, lol. the face/orientation fix fixed a really nasty bug i had in the new version which now renders them mostly correctly.

i get another bug though, stuff that should be 2 sided becomes 1 sided. it's a flat 2 sided square with a texture pasted on it, it should be visible on both sides but only works on one. not sure if it's another one of 3d viewer/editor things though.

also some things it dumps are just too large to load, especially when after the dump i get over 6000 models/objects. i'm running out of memory trying to load those things for some reason (i guess the reason being 3dsmax being horribly unoptimized, since the same thing loads in an open source one fully and takes less than 200 mb of ram, compared to 3dsmax's 700+ mb after which it breaks), so i wonder if it's possible to have an option to make it crop off the things that are off screen (something like 'capture only visible geometry') and save as a separate obj file.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 3D Scene export and Texture modding available in r2572 - by serio - 06-27-2012, 11:43 PM