This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frame limiter. Is it possible?
I wanted to ask if manual frame limit would be possible. You know, making the limit 10 or 15 FPS. I'm asking because I have a terrible timing and reflex and in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (which should be moved to Playable) I can't beat "Master" levels of "Ice cream beat" (A really annoying and hard minigame), which is working at full speed with my PC. Do you have any ideas how could I lower the frame limit or make my chances of winning higher in any way?
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, RAM 2x2GB DDR2 1033 MHz, GPU: Radeon 4850 PRO 625 MHz 512MB 1000 MHz
(08-01-2011, 06:05 PM)Dolizoss Wrote: I wanted to ask if manual frame limit would be possible. You know, making the limit 10 or 15 FPS. I'm asking because I have a terrible timing and reflex and in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (which should be moved to Playable) I can't beat "Master" levels of "Ice cream beat" (A really annoying and hard minigame), which is working at full speed with my PC. Do you have any ideas how could I lower the frame limit or make my chances of winning higher in any way?

Also the opposite would be pretty good too, a frame skip option. Since the games are not frame-rate independant it would be great if there way a way to simply skip the rendering (especially in 3D real-time scenes) based on a certain percentage or for a fixed amount of frames for one frame displayed.

I'm also pretty afraid to navigate through the source code, as I'm not used to deal with a very large code base, I'll be pretty sure to get lost on many levels, but I'll am very interested in trying to mess around with this to see if it can affect low-framerate games gameplay (esp on my old-hag computer).

I never actually coded a emulator, but I have notions in java, gogl and some virtual machine/compiler notions thanks to my university studies. Will soon check if I can firstly compile the source code in my Eclipse IDE.

PS: on the General FAQ here:

Quote:Q: So, what if I want to use the newest revision?
A: You'll need to compile it.
In order to compile Java code, basic Java knowledge is required, as well as specific software (check this thread for links and a brief explanation: http://jpcsp.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1658).
As an alternative, you can obtain the latest unofficial compiled builds from this thread:
http://jpcsp.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2056 (hosted by MaXiMu).

The link to the specific software is dead, the 1st one.
Edit: can't seem to find the main class in order to generate bytecode/run in eclipse, probably in jpcsp package, but I'm sure, so help me out here (not the test cases).
Edit 2: okay the main class is MainGUI (duh... how dumb am I). Had to simply not forget the native libs that LWJGL needed on eclipse build path (I'm on windows).

About the idea of an frame skipper, I already think that I'll need to mess with sceDisplay, but I don't understand why there are so many different sceDisplay classes on these numbered packages. Hum... Well let's try to mess anyway! =')

Edit 3: Okay I tried to modify paintGL() of sceDisplay (package jpcsp.HLE.modules150)
Everytime I skip VideoEngine.getInstance().update(); one out of X times I get some random freeze, but they last only until I move the mouse over the menu, or buttons on the GUI and the game goes on, but then the freeze occurs again few seconds after. I have no idea why they occur. Need to understand what is needed to be called everytime in order not to have these without going through the whole rendering process. =')