This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About the need for sonicstage in JCPSP
I'd rather not install sonicstage if I can avoid it, so I'm curious to know: what is it about sonicstage that jcpsp needs to emulate sound? Is it a certain dll that has to be registered, a codec that sonicstage installs, etc? And does anybody know of an alternative?
yea currently it needs it for some sounds, if you want to part out sonicstage then it needs the openmg codec and the wavewriter codec to be manually registered, more info here
https://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread...3#pid28783

(the simplest way is to install the OpenMG codec then on a junk system install sonicstage then just copy the folder over it to the main system and register the wavwriter codec.)
Well I installed sonicstage (bleh! what a disgustingly bloated program. not to mention all the installers come with their own little downloaders that they like to install onto your computer... http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/60444 says sup). Found sonywavwriter.ax, and i can upload it here if anybody wants to skip the trouble (is there any rule against me attaching it on these forums?). Can't find where the temporary files for the installer were downloaded though so I'm still looking for the OpenMG installer piece.

As knws mentioned in the thread you linked me to, uninstalling sonicstage actually does not uninstall openMG (god no uninstaller can be trusted these days. gotta switch to a *nix system and rock out with a package manager or something I can actually rely on), which is pretty gross. I should have uninstalled this stuff with revo. Anyway I will try jcpsp at this point and see what happens

edit: aaaand sound seems to work! i'll go through the process I followed step by step:

1) installed sonicstage (bleh.)
2) searched for sonywavwriter.ax (that is the exact spelling). copied this file somewhere else
3) uninstalled sonicstage (kill it with fire!)
4) used regsvr32 to re-register sonywavwriter.ax
5) booted up jcpsp and loaded an iso of trails in the sky; I can hear sound during sound-causing events so that seems to be all there

since I didn't uninstall OpenMG, that stuff was still lying around and the codec was still registered, so I only had to register wavwriter to make it go. I will continue experimenting and see what happens, I guess
(04-16-2012, 04:59 AM)tummychow Wrote: Well I installed sonicstage (bleh! what a disgustingly bloated program. not to mention all the installers come with their own little downloaders that they like to install onto your computer... http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/60444 says sup). Found sonywavwriter.ax, and i can upload it here if anybody wants to skip the trouble (is there any rule against me attaching it on these forums?). Can't find where the temporary files for the installer were downloaded though so I'm still looking for the OpenMG installer piece.

As knws mentioned in the thread you linked me to, uninstalling sonicstage actually does not uninstall openMG (god no uninstaller can be trusted these days. gotta switch to a *nix system and rock out with a package manager or something I can actually rely on), which is pretty gross. I should have uninstalled this stuff with revo. Anyway I will try jcpsp at this point and see what happens

edit: aaaand sound seems to work! i'll go through the process I followed step by step:

1) installed sonicstage (bleh.)
2) searched for sonywavwriter.ax (that is the exact spelling). copied this file somewhere else
3) uninstalled sonicstage (kill it with fire!)
4) used regsvr32 to re-register sonywavwriter.ax
5) booted up jcpsp and loaded an iso of trails in the sky; I can hear sound during sound-causing events so that seems to be all there

since I didn't uninstall OpenMG, that stuff was still lying around and the codec was still registered, so I only had to register wavwriter to make it go. I will continue experimenting and see what happens, I guess

What's the point installing it to later uninstall it?I mean,sonicstages doesn't give problems
Am I the only one with this cool sig?
[Image: ji6WX.png]
[Image: 2404362.png]
i was only installing it for the sake of getting wavewriter.ax. sonicstage, like most other music management programs, sends twisty tendrils all over your computer, like a fungus. I don't want to put up with any more of it than I have to. I understand that it works, but that's not much of a reason to compel me to keep it.
is sonic stage needed for the mac version too?