This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some (maybe nooby) questions regarding shaders, resolution, resizing etc
Okay, just sort of dumping my emulator questions in this thread. Tongue

1. Is there any way whatsoever to get shaders working on ATI cards? I think several games may need them to display correctly without glitches, am I right? For instance in FF: Dissidia I'm getting lots of triangles and square boxes for certain effects. If I try to enable shaders on my Mobility Radeon HD 4670, no games will launch at all (resulting in some java null pointer exception error).

2. How does the resizing / resolution changing actually work. I guess resizing just resizes the window size. Does the resolution change the internal resolution the game is running at (and is there any performance cost in changing it? In other emus I can pretty much run it on the same resolution as my actual display, but Jpcsp seems to be limited to same scale the PSP uses).

3. Can I change the resolution and resize the emulator window WITHOUT messing up the game HUD and graphics? Preferrably without having to lower my own resolution? Usually I can resize the emulator window just fine in game menus, but in game it only displays a small portion of the screen.

4. Videos seem to stutter a lot for me, is it normal? Usually they will play fine with good fps at the start for like 5-10 seconds, then the fps will dip to around 10 and the audio will become messed up. I have media engine enabled with sonicstage decoding. And is there any way to improve it, like could I somehow decode the files fully in advance so the emulator doesn't have to do in on the fly?

5. If I wanted to backup my virtual memory stick saves, where does the emulator save them?
1. I'm not sure...

2. The resolution change does change the internal resolution but right now i guess it is still in beta because unlike other emus they haven't perfected it on this one yet.

3. If you can you might need to have other options enabled with only GE but I can't on my computer because i can only play with Only GE and the save textures to GE or whatever ones.

4. Yes this is normal and it is fixable by using the jpcsp launcher and increasing how big the xmx size is It is because as jpcsp runs low on its available ram the games start to slow down.

5. The emulator saves all data in the MSO folder
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.7 GHz, GPU: Geforce GTX 550 Ti, Ram: 16 GB, Windows 7 64-bit
(04-19-2011, 09:03 PM)Finzy Wrote: 1. Is there any way whatsoever to get shaders working on ATI cards? I think several games may need them to display correctly without glitches, am I right? For instance in FF: Dissidia I'm getting lots of triangles and square boxes for certain effects. If I try to enable shaders on my Mobility Radeon HD 4670, no games will launch at all (resulting in some java null pointer exception error).
Different results have been reported for ATI/AMD cards with shaders (http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=3894). The results depends on the selected Jpcsp configuration options, the version of the catalyst driver and the hardware. Try different combinations.

For the null pointer exception error, please post a log file at INFO level.

(04-19-2011, 09:03 PM)Finzy Wrote: 2. How does the resizing / resolution changing actually work. I guess resizing just resizes the window size. Does the resolution change the internal resolution the game is running at (and is there any performance cost in changing it? In other emus I can pretty much run it on the same resolution as my actual display, but Jpcsp seems to be limited to same scale the PSP uses).

3. Can I change the resolution and resize the emulator window WITHOUT messing up the game HUD and graphics? Preferrably without having to lower my own resolution? Usually I can resize the emulator window just fine in game menus, but in game it only displays a small portion of the screen.
Aredo is working on this (http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread....224&page=7), but this is currently not working on all applications.

(04-19-2011, 09:03 PM)Finzy Wrote: 4. Videos seem to stutter a lot for me, is it normal? Usually they will play fine with good fps at the start for like 5-10 seconds, then the fps will dip to around 10 and the audio will become messed up. I have media engine enabled with sonicstage decoding. And is there any way to improve it, like could I somehow decode the files fully in advance so the emulator doesn't have to do in on the fly?
You can use the configuration option "Media" > "Extract media files to tmp folder". The extracted files can then be decoded on your PSP using the JpcspConnector (instructions how to proceed are displayed in the log file).
Okay thanks for the replies, will try to grab a log file next time I play then. Wink

For the record I'm stuck with pretty old 2010 catalyst drivers since my laptop refuses to install new ones (and uninstall causes a black screen on boot), so can't test if the shaders work with newer drivers...
same here my video is stutter....any good solution to fix it? thx