This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xuggle 5.4 is available
another way to test would be to install windows 7 64bit (non service pack) as a guest OS in virtualbox or similar (im pretty sure virtualbox restricts the cpu extension set to sse1-3, so sp1 might work).
:p

btw im looking through the xuggle-users google group and im not seeing alot of problem reports so its an odd issue
http://groups.google.com/group/xuggler-users
If my hypothesis is correct, then the requirements to trigger the instability bug are pretty strict:
1. CPU must support AVX (Sandy/Ivy Bridge)
2. OS must support AVX (Windows 7 SP1 64-bit)
3. ffmpeg must run in 64-bit mode to use AVX
4. ffmpeg must be decoding Atrac3 format.

Any format other than Atrac3 seems to work just fine at least in legend80's case since based on his testing, the intermittent crashes occur only during Atrac3 playback using the new Xuggler/ffmpeg. So, just playing the Atrac3 audio files which legend80 provided in http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread....5#pid73175 through the Xuggler demo player several times is an adequate test, no need to actually run JPCSP to test for the instability bug.

Due to the strict requirements, I'm not surprised that very few people encounter this bug. And those who meet the requirements may never encounter the bug if they don't play games that use Atrac3 audio with JPCSP. legend80, you're just so lucky...or unlucky. Smile
(05-13-2012, 06:30 AM)Itaru Wrote: legend80, are you currently using Windows 7 SP1 64-bit? I assume that plain Windows 7 64-bit without SP1 will not have this problem since it doesn't support AVX yet.

Yes, SP1.

(05-13-2012, 07:11 AM)hyakki Wrote: another way to test would be to install windows 7 64bit (non service pack) as a guest OS in virtualbox or similar (im pretty sure virtualbox restricts the cpu extension set to sse1-3, so sp1 might work).
:p

No can do here. I only have the Win7 upgrade DVD and I've already had to call MS to get an extra install (after hardware upgrades last year).

(05-13-2012, 11:52 AM)Itaru Wrote: legend80, you're just so lucky...or unlucky. Smile

Yep, I'm always Mr. Lucky with these types of issues. I'm used to it. Smile
Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.5 ghz. / GeForce GTX 970 / 16 Gig Ram / Win 10
I don't think that requirement is hard at all to fulfill, since all of those are common these days.
So what benefits are there to upgrade to new Xuggle?
(05-14-2012, 05:19 PM)LeaT Wrote: So what benefits are there to upgrade to new Xuggle?

(05-14-2012, 10:32 AM)bugmenot Wrote: I don't think that requirement is hard at all to fulfill, since all of those are common these days.

^These.

So where do we stand on all this? Are we keeping the libs even though there's known stability issues? Is the payoff worth the sacrifice?
wasn't the old xuggle incompatible with 64 bit systems? as far as i know those problems only happen on 64 bit systems, and i think instability is better than nothing at all.
(05-21-2012, 06:32 PM)serio Wrote: wasn't the old xuggle incompatible with 64 bit systems? as far as i know those problems only happen on 64 bit systems, and i think instability is better than nothing at all.

No it's worked fine on x64 before as we've said (x64 has been functional for at least the last half year or so).

There was no issues prior to the lib integration.
The only useful change in the new Xuggle is MediaEngine support for Linux and MacOS. Not a big loss though since most JPCSP users are using Windows I believe. However, fact is that so far only 2 people have reported problems directly related to the 64-bit Xuggle 5.4 so either the requirements are really that rare or that people who have AT3 instability problems don't know that it could be due to the new Xuggle. As of yet my hypothesis hasn't been proven one way or the other, and without direct reproducible proof which shows that the new Xuggle is indeed to blame for the problem, just going back to the old Xuggle without clear evidence beyond a reasonable doubt would be irresponsible. If the requirements are not that hard to meet, then please take a few minutes to confirm by running the audio files from http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread....5#pid73175 and run them the way gid15 indicated in http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread....5#pid73065 then post your results here.

Also it seems that gid15 is probably on vacation now so any reverting will have to wait until he gets back. He definitely deserves vacation time. Smile
(05-22-2012, 01:00 PM)Itaru Wrote: The only useful change in the new Xuggle is MediaEngine support for Linux and MacOS. Not a big loss though since most JPCSP users are using Windows I believe. However, fact is that so far only 2 people have reported problems directly related to the 64-bit Xuggle 5.4 so either the requirements are really that rare or that people who have AT3 instability problems don't know that it could be due to the new Xuggle. As of yet my hypothesis hasn't been proven one way or the other, and without direct reproducible proof which shows that the new Xuggle is indeed to blame for the problem, just going back to the old Xuggle without clear evidence beyond a reasonable doubt would be irresponsible. If the requirements are not that hard to meet, then please take a few minutes to confirm by running the audio files from http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread....5#pid73175 and run them the way gid15 indicated in http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread....5#pid73065 then post your results here.

Also it seems that gid15 is probably on vacation now so any reverting will have to wait until he gets back. He definitely deserves vacation time. Smile
I was on vacation Smile and I'm now back.... but I had no time yet to look at all the unread posts.
I was also thinking at reverting to the old Xuggle only for Windows 64bit and keep the new Xuggle for all the other configurations. I have however not yet checked if the change from r2542 is compatible with the old Xuggle and if the build procedures would support such a Jar mix...
Always include a complete log file at INFO level in your reports. Thanks! How to post a log