This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we expect any boost on speed soon?
(04-19-2011, 06:37 AM)Clessy Wrote: I just wanna through this out there. Everyone say compatablity is first. Old emulators use to always aim for speed over compatable because who cares if it aims for 100% compatable on less than 10% of the pcs on the markert? 60% comaptablity for 100% of people is way better.

old emulators? I've followed a lot of them and almost every one aimed for compatibility first, I personally don't see the point of having a fast emu if nothing works right (it wouldn't be much fun watching cube sample at 1000 fps), besides for that even if it was extremely fast people would complain its not compatible enough.

In its current form I think Jpcsp has a good tradeoff for both it can run a lot of games at or near full psp speed with the right configuration (if you have a mid to high range pc w/nvidia), it also has pretty good compatibility
my pc was cheap 3 years ago and I can run 90% of the working games with 30-50 fps. loss of fps is often a matter of incompatibility or not yet implemented functions/methods.
Plus you need a lot of ram for this program at the moment. I can run pcxs2 at play able speeds now with 1gb but when it first came out. ...I shudder at the fps. Come back in a year or two and see if there any change with speed. I did that with pcxs2. I really think I'm spelling that wrong.
One more time!
I'm curious, is PSP very difficult to emulate like the PS2 which causes the slowdown (with all those multiple CPUs run in parallel), or is it something else? I think the devs could start writing emu blogs like the pcsx2 devs, it's always interesting to hear the inside workings of the emulator even if you don't understand half of it yourself. Tongue

And would it be possible to implement speedhacks into Jpcsp like in Pcsx2? I guess there are already a few, like the ones in the video options, but there could be more for increasing clock speeds and such, just to see if it provides any speedup.
There's no much point of doing a dev blog, the code is quite easy to read and really straightforward for anybody who cares. There's no real black magic like there is in Pcsx2 which is highly tuned and has years and years of fine tuning.
There are no real speedhack in Jpcsp because it's easier to correct a mistake or improve the code than analyzing ONE game and patching it. Every game should be able to run at fullspeed, it just need some fixing. And because we're doing a HLE emulator, there's no point to emulating the clock speed. So we can't double it's speed because it's already going as fast as it can, no holding back.
Alrighty then.