This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Way to improve speed on some computers
Okay if you have a Video Card with OpenGL 2.1 or 3.1 you might not be able to fully take advantage of the openGL settings for emulators so if you have Only GE checked you can try unchecking it for a pretty big performance boost.

I am posting this because I see alot of people saying Only GE helps performance, but its only with a good video card that it does Smile.

After unchecking it my game performances have changed as such...

Bleach Heat the Soul 3, 6, and 7: With GE 25-35 FPS W/O 40-50 FPS

Crisis Core: GE 10-20 W/O 18-22(Less random now :])

Dissidia: GE 5-12 W/O 8-21
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.7 GHz, GPU: Geforce GTX 550 Ti, Ram: 16 GB, Windows 7 64-bit
(02-10-2011, 05:59 PM)Vegerunks Wrote: Okay if you have a Video Card with OpenGL 2.1 or 3.1 you might not be able to fully take advantage of the openGL settings for emulators so if you have Only GE checked you can try unchecking it for a pretty big performance boost.

I am posting this because I see alot of people saying Only GE helps performance, but its only with a good video card that it does Smile.

Tryed it with crisis core and there was a very noticeable drop in fps so I kinda think you got it backwards. Older cards get a boost from only ge while new cards don't or not as much .
Funny thing, I spend more time on the forum instead of on emulators Tongue

(02-10-2011, 05:59 PM)Vegerunks Wrote: Okay if you have a Video Card with OpenGL 2.1 or 3.1 you might not be able to fully take advantage of the openGL settings for emulators so if you have Only GE checked you can try unchecking it for a pretty big performance boost.

When "Only GE" is enabled, a true FPS rate is displayed. However, when "Only GE" is disabled, an overoptimistic FPS rate is displayed.

So, you can't compare directly both values.

I guess that when "Only GE" is enabled, the game "feels" faster (at least not slower) even if a lower FPS is displayed.

I already wanted to correct the FPS displayed when "Only GE" is disabled, so that it matches the "true" (but lower) FPS... but I was already hearing a lot of users complaining Jpcsp being slower because of the reduced FPS rate Wink ... so I left it unchanged...
haha but no it wasn't just displayed as faster for me, I noticed a speed difference. I'm guessing Only GE uses OpenGL more strongly than w/O checking it. Because OpenGL slows emulators down if they don't have a high enough OpenGL support.

Good example is with only GE on on Crisis Core when Angeal's Attack activates Zack's voice and punches aren't synced with the sound and the sound is choppy.

When GE isn't checked his Voice, Punches, and sounds are all synced and the sound isn't as choppy
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.7 GHz, GPU: Geforce GTX 550 Ti, Ram: 16 GB, Windows 7 64-bit
...Or mabe if they don't have a powerful anough graphics card?
Here all the way is best to improve speed on some computers. These all the information are really very nice and interesting. Which is the best you know about it. Thank for sharing such a nice information.
(04-04-2011, 10:51 AM)dhvnick Wrote: Here all the way is best to improve speed on some computers. These all the information are really very nice and interesting. Which is the best you know about it. Thank for sharing such a nice information.

well first of all, you need a really good processor(multi core mid-high end) and video card (with ogl4.0 support, preferable a nvidia card), the x64 version runs faster than x86 version, but actually this version doesn´t support media engine Sad, and need at least 2gb of ram.

in some games, the use of vertex cache and shaders improves a lot the speed of emulation(naruto ultimate ninja heroes 3 is an example of that) and the correct configuration of maximunmethodsize improves a bit the fps, actually i don´t know if it is possible to optimize the code more, only the jpcsp dev team knows that.

as you can see, jpcsp requirements are very high to run games in fullspeed, personally i keep hope that the source code can be optimized a bit more, i would not like jpcsp repeats the history of ssf (sega saturn emulator) that emu requires a really really good single core processor some years ago, but i have faith in the dev team work, and someday everyone can play psp games in hd resolution, in a mid end computer (maybe), we just have to wait Big Grin
I think that was a spam bot you replied to :p

anyways for the source of jpcsp the only way I can think of to get more input is to open up the comment / rating system to the public on google code (like pcsx2 and dolphin),
but In my opinion I think the dev team are already doing a great job most games can already reach full speed on mid - range computers, not to mention Jpcsp has a pretty good compatibility rate, they even pulled off sound, movies & decryption in a relativity short time
I was wondering when they would update the cwcheat compatibility. A lot of newer codes don't seem to work on it but flawless on the psp.
One more time!