This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JPCSP for Android?
with the advent of the PSP phone, sony ericsson Z1, fast approaching i wondered what would it take to port jpcsp for android?

seems to me it would make sense to do so. i might start working on this endeavour once i get one... been waiting for the right android phone to come to get one.

there are probably some dependencies that need to be taken care of... the first one that comes to mind is OpenAL, which Android does not have. the closest relative is OpenSL in Android 2.3 but it still would require some work to adapt.
are there any more dependencies the devs think need to be retooled for android?

seems like a good time to finally start talking about this topic Smile

regards
(12-15-2010, 04:53 PM)riclas Wrote: with the advent of the PSP phone, sony ericsson Z1, fast approaching i wondered what would it take to port jpcsp for android?

seems to me it would make sense to do so. i might start working on this endeavour once i get one... been waiting for the right android phone to come to get one.

there are probably some dependencies that need to be taken care of... the first one that comes to mind is OpenAL, which Android does not have. the closest relative is OpenSL in Android 2.3 but it still would require some work to adapt.
are there any more dependencies the devs think need to be retooled for android?

seems like a good time to finally start talking about this topic Smile

regards

I would be surprised if any Android device has enough speed to emulate the PSP, most of the games do not even run fullspeed on a fast PC.
JPCSP games tested with Athlon X2 4850e, 4 GB RAM, Radeon HD 3300 (onboard), OpenGL: 3.3.11653, Windows XP SP3 32-bit
PPSSPP games tested with Intel i3, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 2000 (onboard), OpenGL: 3.1.0 Build 6.14.10.5421, Windows XP SP3 32-bit
That must be one heck of a hardware using android!
System Specs:
CPU: Intel Q6600 OC @3.2Ghz
RAM: 4GB
Video: Geforce 9800 GTX+ 1GB DDR3
thats cuz jpcsp's emulation is slow they need to built in speed hacks or increase the speed somehow everything else is pretty good ... but i dunno if its possible the psp is a pretty strong console too ... btw there's a sony ericsson psp mobile lol
the emulator will be slow on an android, but not because of the device specs. jpcsp still has a long way to go on performance improvements and the android SDK is having it's first steps on game development.

and if you want to compare hardware, PSP has a 333 Mhz processor (i haven't found info on the graphics card) and current top android devices have 1 Ghz processor and a very good graphics card.

so i don't see this as unfeasible at all. jpcsp needs to improve, android SDK needs to improve alot, but the hardware and software are there now.
In other words, probably not gonna happen. If you want to play psp games on the go, buy a psp.
Funny thing, I spend more time on the forum instead of on emulators Tongue

(12-17-2010, 11:31 PM)riclas Wrote: the emulator will be slow on an android, but not because of the device specs. jpcsp still has a long way to go on performance improvements and the android SDK is having it's first steps on game development.

and if you want to compare hardware, PSP has a 333 Mhz processor (i haven't found info on the graphics card) and current top android devices have 1 Ghz processor and a very good graphics card.

so i don't see this as unfeasible at all. jpcsp needs to improve, android SDK needs to improve alot, but the hardware and software are there now.

pcsp which is written in c++ may not be fast enough to run on an android, I made some tests on an eeepc with nvidia ION : 2D games display medium fps and 3D games low fps. It will be worse on jpcsp. I don't think an android smartphone is faster than an eeepc + nvidia ION.
i have not denied that j/pcsp is nowadays too slow for android use. an eeepc is better than an android, but not by too much Tongue lol

i'm sure we have a long way to go until it would be playable there, but i think it's a worthy goal. maybe the "final" goal of a psp emulator Smile

@kai3213
if i can carry only my phone and play my psp games it would be much better than carrying all the gadgets around... obv.
I believe the solution for OpenAL is here: http://www.paulscode.com/forum/index.php?topic=56.0
(12-17-2010, 11:31 PM)riclas Wrote: the emulator will be slow on an android, but not because of the device specs. jpcsp still has a long way to go on performance improvements and the android SDK is having it's first steps on game development.

You say that as if it is truly possible with those specs... As far as I know every emulator requires at LEAST double the specs of the console/handheld.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.7 GHz, GPU: Geforce GTX 550 Ti, Ram: 16 GB, Windows 7 64-bit