This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - US - ULUS10505
(06-01-2011, 10:34 PM)BinarySlave Wrote:
(06-01-2011, 08:54 PM)gid15 Wrote: Is the code cache being allocated inside the permanent generation area (in which case MaxPermSize should be larger than ReservedCodeCacheSize)? or it is allocated additionally (in which case both sizes are independent of each other). I was not able to find clear information about this. Could you point some info on that?
Thanks!
Unfortunately I mostly have my information from 1 other person and pure testing only. Yes, I have my problems with the official java-documentation myself (ever had).
But as I understand the workings behind both parameters now (through documentation, asking someone and a little testing), MaxPermSize does indeed include ReservedCodeCacheSize. From a simple logical point of view it has to, because the codecache is permanent and can't overrule the MaxPermSize.
From the documentation I found (http://java.dzone.com/articles/java-perf...g?page=0,1), the code cache is not stored into the permanent generation space: the PERM space is managed by the GC and contains mainly the java classes. Because Jpcsp is generating a lot of Java classes generated on the fly (compiler), the PERM space has to be large enough the contains all the java classes. But this does not include the JIT code cache.
The memory reserved by direct buffers (nio) is also not included into the PERM space, it has again its own space (native heap: -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=xxxM). Jpcsp is also using a lot of direct buffers for the vertex cache.

Jpcsp cannot be directly compared to classic Java applications as it is heavily using dynamically generated classes and direct buffers.

Code:
-XX:MaxPermSize=64m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=64m
still makes sense to me. However, MaxPermSize could be increased to hold more Java classes (depending on the game).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - US - ULUS10505 [encrypted] - by gid15 - 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep - by Elliott - 08-16-2012, 10:41 AM