This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cant extract the .7z
I realize how basic this is, and its rather embarrassing for a user of my experience, but whenever I try to extract the archive from the .7z file I get an error.

I've tried 7-zip, winrar, powerarchiver. Is there a different program I should try to extract the file?

Edit: I've extracted other .7z files with these programs before without problem, so is it something special to do with the file, or do I need a newer version for this to work?
Well, 7z is Windows' own compression format. You shouldn't need any special extraction program for you to be able to decompress it. Although I suspect that in your case, seeing the number of programs you've used, it could be that the archive itself is just corrupt and that's why you get an error.
(12-22-2011, 02:22 AM)LeaT Wrote: Well, 7z is Windows' own compression format. You shouldn't need any special extraction program for you to be able to decompress it. Although I suspect that in your case, seeing the number of programs you've used, it could be that the archive itself is just corrupt and that's why you get an error.

7z or 7zip has nothing to do with windows, windows does have built in support for basic zip (pkzip) (maybe thats what you're thinking of) but 7z is its own format (http://www.7-zip.org/) , and windows won't support it natively.
anyhow newer versions of winrar and obviously 7-zip should be-able to decompress it, exactly what archive are you trying to extract? maybe re-download the archive and try again since it could be corrupted.
(12-22-2011, 03:27 AM)hyakki Wrote:
(12-22-2011, 02:22 AM)LeaT Wrote: Well, 7z is Windows' own compression format. You shouldn't need any special extraction program for you to be able to decompress it. Although I suspect that in your case, seeing the number of programs you've used, it could be that the archive itself is just corrupt and that's why you get an error.

7z or 7zip has nothing to do with windows, windows does have built in support for basic zip (pkzip) (maybe thats what you're thinking of) but 7z is its own format (http://www.7-zip.org/) , and windows won't support it natively.
anyhow newer versions of winrar and obviously 7-zip should be-able to decompress it, exactly what archive are you trying to extract? maybe re-download the archive and try again since it could be corrupted.

I seem to have fixed it. I had the 2394 version of the jpcsp archive, and then I downloaded the newest version (2413) of the jpcsp and I was able to unzip the .7z file without having to update my programs.

I did try to download a fresh copy of 2394, but I still had the same problem, oh well!