This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard Freeze on Vulkan after Windows 10 Creators Update
So, anyone else having Hard Freezes when using Vulkan on the latest Windows 10 Creators Update?

It freezes so damn ice-solid that Task Manager, ALT+CTRL+DEL, ALT+TABBING and the lights on my damn HDD readout won't work.
(And I play a heavily modded Skyrim, so I know my shit about getting off freezes and crashes...which is really scary)

The Render Window still shows up, but shows 0.00 on FPS, then hard-freezes.

It still works on OpenGL and DirectX12, but not ideal since there's a noticeable reduction in speed from Vulkan, AND SOME CHARACTERS ON THE GAME OUTRIGHT DISAPPEAR ON DX12 AS WELL.

Tried Hatsune Miku Project Diva and Catherine, they're both freezing.

Although, it might be my OS getting corrupted since I've had a few hard-freezes from my usual games after installing this stupid Creators Update. (L4D2 and USFIV, namely)

Again, does anyone else suffer from this? Or am I gonna have to send my PC to the surgery room?

(PS: I'm sorry I can't send a log, I don't want my innocent laptop to go through those horrible hard-freezes again)

i7-6500U
NVIDIA GeForce 940
8GB RAM
Windows 10 Home on that damned Creators Update
Running RPCS3 0.0.2-4582
Diva F - Vulkan
Catherine - OpenGL / D3D12

Creators update has been causing problems for other emulators users as well
Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X, Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
Laptop: Intel i7 6700HQ, Intel HD 530, 2x8G 2133MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: FX-8350, R9 280X, 2x4G 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux
UPDATE: I found out that I had TWO Vulkan Runtime Libraries on Programs and Features, one was version 1.0.39.1 and the other 1.0.42.1.

I also found out that you had to uninstall the older versions since the updater was supposed to do that in the first place...except it didn't because the Vulkan Runtime Libraries are installed from the GeForce Experience application.

I'll test if this makes Vulkan work without freezing on RPCS3 later...when I find the courage to have to see my laptop potentially freeze again.

Undecided I'm not helpful.

PS: The fact that I'm an "update-freak" that I also updated my GeForce Experience drivers (of which includes the Vulkan Runtime Libraries, of course) after I updated to the Windows 10 Creators Update prevents me from knowing which of these causes the RPCS3 Vulkan freeze, hence my pussy-footing.
I have the same problem too. Is anyone know how to fix this?
(06-02-2017, 05:03 PM)0toshigami Wrote: I have the same problem too. Is anyone know how to fix this?

You can try doing what I posted on my post above yours, I'm too much of a pussy to test it out, and really I don't think it will fix it at all.

The only real way to fix this is to revert to previous build.

EDIT: Also, there's a new update for Windows 10 Creators Update 1703. Try updating (if you haven't reverted to previous build yet) and see if it fixes it, do post if it actually fixes it (of which is a really long shot).
I'm having the same exact issue. I have 1703 just like you mentioned in your last post, but it still freezes my PC to death. I also don't have another Vulkan version installed... I could revert back to the old Windows installation, but I uninstalled it right when I installed the update to save space like an idiot.
(06-06-2017, 08:56 PM)Skyth Wrote: I'm having the same exact issue. I have 1703 just like you mentioned in your last post, but it still freezes my PC to death. I also don't have another Vulkan version installed... I could revert back to the old Windows installation, but I uninstalled it right when I installed the update to save space like an idiot.

yeah, me too.

I have a habit of cleaning up after every update. It just felt right because I also immediately re-apply some of my tweaks to Windows 10 after an update because it resets my tweaks back to default, I then do a Disk Cleanup afterwards to finish it all up.

we're idiots.
I FIXED IT! Install an old NVidia driver, I installed 378.49 and it completely fixed it.
(06-18-2017, 10:19 PM)Skyth Wrote: I FIXED IT! Install an old NVidia driver, I installed 378.49 and it completely fixed it.

wow, good for you!

however, I cannot use an older NVIDIA driver because it will bring back the hard-freeze when Alt+Tabbing certain games (L4D2, USFIV, etc), of which they fixed on the latest NVIDIA driver.

basically I'm stuck in a Vulkan-less limbo.

friggin' Creators Update, I really wish I could still go back to previous build.
I also have two vulkan libraries and have lower performance on nvidia with vulcan than with opengl. Would be that an cause of issue?

What is "the right way" of installing vulcan libs?