This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.86 Average
RPCS3 for Newcomers
03-10-2016, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2017 04:11 PM by Annie.)
RPCS3 for Newcomers
Please refer to the updated guide on our website: Quickstart @ RPCS3.net

1. Setup

1.1 Where to download the latest RPCS3 build
The most up-to-date build can be found at https://ci.appveyor.com/project/rpcs3/rp.../artifacts

System Requirements
* Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2015
* CPU: A modern x86-64 CPU that supports SSSE3
* GPU: A modern OpenGL 4.3 compatible graphics card. A DirectX 12 (AMD | NVIDIA) and Vulkan (full list) compatible graphics card is highly recommended

Required files from the PS3's firmware
Due to copyright issues you need a dump of those firmware files from a PS3 console you own.
Both flashATRAC.pic and flashMP3.pic are mandatory to run games.
External .prx/.sprx (LLE) libraries which are used to reach further in the emulation of almost every game.

Games
Your already unpacked games should be placed in \dev_hdd0\game
(The game's main directory name needs to be set as the game's ID, for example: \dev_hdd0\game\NPEB00221).
You can also boot games that you have outside the emulator's directory by going to "Boot -> Boot game" and selecting the USRDIR folder inside the game's main directory.
If you have a game in form of Package (.pkg) you can install it by going to "Boot -> Install PKG" in the emulator's main window.
Sometimes, there are files that need to be decrypted with the help of a .rap file, which needs to be placed at \dev_hdd0\home\00000001\exdata

1.2) How to dump the firmware files?
You need to have a Custom Firmware (CFW) in order to access your PS3 console via FTP and download the files over to your computer.
Recommended firmware version to extract the files is the current latest (4.81).
You should not use older version firmware files to emulate a game that was made for a newer version.
Go to \dev_flash\sys\external on your console and fetch all the files there.
Both flashATRAC.pic and flashMP3.pic are in the same directory on where you can find the modules. Those two files don't need to be decrypted and need to be placed inside \dev_flash\sys\external in RPCS3.
To decrypt the external libraries open RPCS3, go to "Tools -> Decrypt SPRX libraries", select all the libraries and press Open.
After they're decrypted place them inside \dev_flash\sys\external in RPCS3.

1.3) How to dump games off a PS3 disc?
Only certain drives are able to detect and read PS3 discs.
Have a look at the known List of BD drives that read PS3 discs.
You can either dump your PS3 discs using a PS3 with CFW or using a PC.
Check this tutorial on how to dump your games.

2) Settings

2.1) What settings should be used?
Not mentioned options should be left as default, as they're not important for testing in most scenarios.

Core
PPU Interpreter (precise) and SPU Interpreter (precise) provide more accurate emulation, but they're slower.
PPU Interpreter (fast) and SPU Interpreter (fast) are faster than the above ones, and are the most commonly used ones. If you get PPU or SPU related errors when testing a game, switch back to the precise ones.
PPU Recompiler and SPU Recompiler should currently only be used if the game already runs on the PPU and SPU interpreters, to gain a speed boost.
Results (logs) obtained with the PPU Recompiler and/or the SPU Recompiler should not be reported due to them having many inaccuracies in their emulation of certain instructions.

Graphics
You should always test with all the renders to see in which one you get the best performance and too see if there are any glitches with one but not with the other.
Optimal resolutions for testing are 1920x1080 (1080p) and 1280x720 (720p). However, you should see at which resolution the game you're testing runs on a real PS3 and use that resolution (if it runs on several, use any of them).
Frame limit should be set to Auto, otherwise some games may pass the 60fps barrier, and games are only intended to run up to 60fps on a real PS3.
D3D adapter should be set to your GPU, and is only required while using D3D12 (the most powerful one if you have two or more different GPUs).
Read/Write Color/Depth buffers should be disabled for now as they're not working properly with any of the renders. These buffers are only required for big AAA games, which don't run yet.
All the other tick boxes can be left unchecked. You might want to use "Log shader problems" or VSync at some point when testing.

Audio
You can either use OpenAL or XAudio2.
Audio implementation isn't really a priority now, so it only has basic implementation.
If you run into any issues with Audio, set the output to Null and test.

2.2) What LLE modules should be used?
For starters: libsre, libspurs_jq, libresc, librtc. Those should always be enabled as games require at least one of them.
After running the game a first time without any modules active, you should check the log for any TODO outputs or exceptions regarding modules, see what's the module that those outputs/exceptions refer to and then proceed to load it.
Please keep in mind that not all modules work when LLE loaded at the moment.
List of LLE modules' filenames and the respective module name (thanks AlexAltea)

Example, you find the following in your log:
cellSpursJq TODO: cellSpursJobQueuePort2Sync
cellSpurs TODO: _cellSpursTaskAttributeInitialize
In this case, you should LLE load modules libsre (cellSpurs = cellSre) and libspurs_jq.

Second example, you find the following in your log:
class std::runtime_error thrown: vdecOpen::<lambda_193ed31ad105fa66dfbe1f5a7559b07e>::operator ()(): avformat_open_input() failed (err=0xbebbb1b7, opts=1)
(in file C:\rpcs3\rpcs3\Emu\Cell\Modules\cellVdec.cpp:313)
In this case, module libvdec should be LLE loaded.

3) How to help?
Users
If you have none to little coding knowledge, you can help out by testing the latest changes (commits) in RPCS3 with PS3 commercial or homebrew games.
For understanding common words related to the PS3 and its emulation, you should check the Vocabulary guide for PS3 and emulation.
If you want to report stuff for a game that doesn't have yet a topic created for it, please check the Guidelines for submitting new games and create a new topic for the game.
If a topic regarding the same GameID already exists, please post on that topic, instead of creating a new one.
When posting your results, please indicate which build are you using (which you can find in the first line of your RPCS3.log), a brief description of your settings (PPU/SPU/Render/LLE Modules) and possibly screenshots or a video if relevant to the post, and see the guidelines on how to report issues.

Developers
Start by checking out Developer Information and forking the project at RPCS3's GitHub.
When writing code, you should pay attention to the Coding Style guidelines.
Last, but not least, you can check the Roadmap if you want and can help with any of the current goals.

Join us on our Discord at: http://discord.me/RPCS3

If you only want to use RPCS3 to play please note that RPCS3 only runs a few games at this stage. You should check the List of Playable Games.
Please keep in mind that piracy is not allowed and asking help with piracy, requesting pirated firmware files or games may result in a permanent suspension.

Are you new to RPCS3? Check out RPCS3 for Newcomers

Desktop: AMD FX-8350 / AMD R9 280X 3G / 8G RAM
Laptop: Intel i7-6700HQ / NVIDIA GTX 960M 2G / 8G RAM
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2016, 11:35 AM
RE: RPCS3 for Newcomers
Quote:For decrypting them, you need to rename the module to modulename.sprx.elf, and then use the "Boot ELF/SELF file" option on RPCS3 under "Boot".
The emulator will fail to run it, but you'll have decrypted the module.

I have the original module and its decrypted version. Do I delete the original and rename the decrypted or ???

for reference my external folder houses:

1234.sprx.elf
1234.sprx.elf.decrypted.elf
03-12-2016, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2016 11:47 AM by BlackDaemon.)
larrikin, rpcs3 displays in list only decrypted modules, doesn't matter which extension they have.

PCSX3 - it's real? [Image: lol.gif]
03-12-2016, 11:04 PM
This has helped me to understand the LLE usage, Thanks!
03-13-2016, 12:21 AM
(03-12-2016 11:35 AM)larrikin Wrote:  
Quote:For decrypting them, you need to rename the module to modulename.sprx.elf, and then use the "Boot ELF/SELF file" option on RPCS3 under "Boot".
The emulator will fail to run it, but you'll have decrypted the module.

I have the original module and its decrypted version. Do I delete the original and rename the decrypted or ???

for reference my external folder houses:

1234.sprx.elf
1234.sprx.elf.decrypted.elf

You can have them both decrypted and encrypted in the folder, but it will only detect and load into the LLE modules window the ones who are decrypted.
For the sake of organization, I keep the decrypted modules separated from the encrypted ones, and I only place the decrypted ones on RPCS3.

03-14-2016, 01:42 PM
(03-10-2016 12:54 PM)Annie Wrote:  you'll need a Costum Firmware (CFW)

typo. costum should be custom Tongue

PC: i5-4690K | RX 480 | 16GB RAM
03-14-2016, 02:19 PM
(03-14-2016 01:42 PM)Nezarn Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 12:54 PM)Annie Wrote:  you'll need a Costum Firmware (CFW)

typo. costum should be custom Tongue

Thanks, corrected.

03-14-2016, 04:00 PM
ps3 RE: RPCS3 for Newcomers
can i play god of war 3 on #rpcs3 emulatorHuh[/size][/font]
03-14-2016, 04:04 PM
(03-14-2016 04:00 PM)Rahul Wrote:  can i play god of war 3 on #rpcs3 emulatorHuh[/size][/font]

Did you even read anything that was above?
03-14-2016, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2016 10:28 PM by Annie.)
(03-14-2016 04:00 PM)Rahul Wrote:  can i play god of war 3 on #rpcs3 emulatorHuh

(03-10-2016 12:54 PM)Annie Wrote:  These buffers are only required for big AAA games, which don't run yet.

--- / ---

Added references to
- SSSE3 and SSE4.1 compatible CPUs: http://stackoverflow.com/a/28186601
- OpenGL 4.5 compatible GPUs: http://i.imgur.com/0s2IrLv.png (couldn't find a better reference)
- DirectX 12 compatible GPUs: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technolo...orted-gpus and http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/sof.../directx12

I have yet to find a list of AMD/NVIDIA Vulkan compatible GPUs.

Referring to "LLE modules" as PRX/SPRX modules first, in the hope of more accurate information.
Rewrote some stuff in the first two topics, in the hope of an easier understanding of the guide.