This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
List of BD drives that read PS3 disc
ps3 
Hello everyone, I'm really confident that RPCS3 will emulate the PS3 comercial games in two and a half years, so I'll contribute for this to happen. You know that there are some BD drives that read the PS3 discs, and you don't need special tools and software to dump (decrypt) those games on PC. Simply open and copy the file content of the PS3 disc to a folder and try to run the bin file on RPCS3. The well know BD-drive that reads these disc is the Lite-ON DH-401S wich is a BD-Rom drive not a BD-Rewitable drive BD-RW/RE. This matters, because some mayor BD-RW drives read PS3 games perfectly. In my case, I have the LG BD-RE WH16NS40 that reads every PS3 game that I put it in. We have to test our drives to check if can read the PS3 games, and then put the brand and the model name in this thread, so everyone will know what drives to buy if they want to play it with RPCS3. Those brands like Lite-On, LG, Samsung, ASUS, Plexor, MSI could work specially the BD-RE drives.
SmileSleepyAngel
(11-04-2015, 07:46 PM)Stickmode Wrote: Hello everyone, I'm really confident that RPCS3 will emulate the PS3 comercial games in two and a half years, so I'll contribute for this to happen. You know that there are some BD drives that read the PS3 discs, and you don't need special tools and software to dump (decrypt) those games on PC. Simply open and copy the file content of the PS3 disc to a folder and try to run the bin file on RPCS3. The well know BD-drive that reads these disc is the Lite-ON DH-401S wich is a BD-Rom drive not a BD-Rewitable drive BD-RW/RE. This matters, because some mayor BD-RW drives read PS3 games perfectly. In my case, I have the LG BD-RE WH16NS40 that reads every PS3 game that I put it in. We have to test our drives to check if can read the PS3 games, and then put the brand and the model name in this thread, so everyone will know what drives to buy if they want to play it with RPCS3. Those brands like Lite-On, LG, Samsung, ASUS, Plexor, MSI could work specially the BD-RE drives.
SmileSleepyAngel

Update: "Here's another model the BENQ BR1000"
So the list goes like this:
-Lite-ON DH-401S (old-drive)
-BENQ BR1000 (old-drive)
-LG BD-RE WH16NS40 (new-drive)
(12-16-2015, 05:21 PM)Stickmode Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 07:46 PM)Stickmode Wrote: Hello everyone, I'm really confident that RPCS3 will emulate the PS3 comercial games in two and a half years, so I'll contribute for this to happen. You know that there are some BD drives that read the PS3 discs, and you don't need special tools and software to dump (decrypt) those games on PC. Simply open and copy the file content of the PS3 disc to a folder and try to run the bin file on RPCS3. The well know BD-drive that reads these disc is the Lite-ON DH-401S wich is a BD-Rom drive not a BD-Rewitable drive BD-RW/RE. This matters, because some mayor BD-RW drives read PS3 games perfectly. In my case, I have the LG BD-RE WH16NS40 that reads every PS3 game that I put it in. We have to test our drives to check if can read the PS3 games, and then put the brand and the model name in this thread, so everyone will know what drives to buy if they want to play it with RPCS3. Those brands like Lite-On, LG, Samsung, ASUS, Plexor, MSI could work specially the BD-RE drives.
SmileSleepyAngel

-BENQ BR1000 (old-drive)
Another drive tested: the ASUS BC-12B1ST
So, the list goes like this:
-BENQ BR1000 (old-drive)
-ASUS BC-12B1ST (new-drive)

Come on guys, help me to find more BD drives that read PS3 discs, post your results here.
Thanks!!
(12-22-2015, 12:39 AM)Stickmode Wrote:
(12-16-2015, 05:21 PM)Stickmode Wrote:
SmileSleepyAngel

-BENQ BR1000 (old-drive)
Another drive tested: the ASUS BC-12B1ST
So, the list goes like this:
-BENQ BR1000 (old-drive)

Come on guys, help me to find more BD drives that read PS3 discs, post your results here.
Thanks!!

You could add the PS3 blu-ray drive as one of the drives, that is able to read PS3 discs Smile
My LG UH12NS30 was able to read PS3 discs just fine.
LG BH16NS40 works too.
(01-15-2016, 02:54 PM)scorpionking95 Wrote: LG BH16NS40 works too.

Well done, two more BD-Drives to add in the list...

The list gets as follow:

-BENQ BR1000 (old-drive)
-LG BD BH16NS40 (new-drive)
-LG BD UH12NS30 (new-drive)

Keep adding more BD drives guys!!
By the way how do you test that a BD drive actually works ?
(02-07-2016, 12:36 AM)vlj Wrote: By the way how do you test that a BD drive actually works ?
I also like to know, but if the test is put a PS3 disc and receive these messages:
(It is in Portuguese but I think you can understand easily. Briefly the first message asks how I want to use the disk and the second is that the disk is write-protected.)
So yes, my model LG-WH12LS30 supports

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-07-2016, 12:36 AM)vlj Wrote: By the way how do you test that a BD drive actually works ?

Probably see, if the drive is able to read the files on the disc and doesn't throw up any errors.

(02-07-2016, 01:25 AM)Kilowog01 Wrote: I also like to know, but if the test is put a PS3 disc and receive these messages:
(It is in Portuguese but I think you can understand easily. Briefly the first message asks how I want to use the disk and the second is that the disk is write-protected.)
So yes, my model LG-WH12LS30 supports

If it says that the disk is write-protected, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that your Blu-Ray Drive isn't capable of decrypting PS3 disks.
Also why are you so sure about your drive supporting decryption of PS3 disks?