This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Problem with image size and FPS
I'm trying to use this emulator on Linux and I got it to work for the most parts, but the FPS is absurdly slow (I have no problem what so ever on Windows) and the image size is only 1/4 of what it should be.

I'm no tech wiz, so I don't really know my PC's spec.
What could possibly be the problem?
sounds like you don't have the proper drivers installed for your video card so x11 is using a generic one, since you don't know your pc specs I can't help you with what driver you'd need.

you might be able to find the video card with lspci
I don't know how Linux works because I have never used Linux, but in Windows it is easy to tell what graphics card you got by right clicking on My Computer and then Properties, look for Device Manager. Under Device Manager look for Display Adapters. It will enlist what video card you got installed. Then you go to either AMD/ATI homepage or nVidia homepage and get the latest driver version for your card model. These homepages may also come with an auto-detect function.
OK, so I tried to poke around my PC and manage to install a driver (I think), but the image size problem still persist. The FPS look like it's back to normal so far, but I can't really be sure. Still, second problem: SOLVED!

I believe I managed to get the graphic card's name though. It's 'ATI Radeon HD 4250'.

The driver I have installed is 'ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver'.

Do I need to change the driver or something?
Oh my. Since I guess that the problem still lie with the driver, I decided to download and install a new driver, and now the emulator give me this error log.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Your display format is not compatible with Jpcsp or the anti-aliasing settings is not supported by your display
at jpcsp.HLE.modules150.sceDisplay.start(sceDisplay.java:667)
at jpcsp.HLE.modules.HLEModuleManager.startModules(HLEModuleManager.java:401)
at jpcsp.Emulator.initCpu(Emulator.java:197)
at jpcsp.Emulator.load(Emulator.java:164)
at jpcsp.Emulator.load(Emulator.java:147)
at jpcsp.MainGUI.loadUMD(MainGUI.java:1352)
at jpcsp.MainGUI.loadUMDGame(MainGUI.java:1444)
at jpcsp.MainGUI.loadUMD(MainGUI.java:1383)
at jpcsp.MainGUI$RecentElementActionListener.actionPerformed(MainGUI.java:2282)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2012)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2335)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:404)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:374)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:829)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:873)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6175)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3267)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5940)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2105)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4536)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2163)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4362)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4461)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4125)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4055)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2149)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2478)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4362)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:604)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:185)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:138)

The driver I install is 8.783 on X.Org 7.5 (From what I can see)
How could I clean up this mess?
Uninstall all current graphics drivers (just uninstall everything related to AMD/ATI). Reboot your computer. Some may want to go into safe mode first and clean up the registry using a registry cleaner program. Download new drivers and install these. Reboot again.

If you did all these steps and also cleaned the registry there may be a driver compability issue between JPCSP and your drivers. AMD/ATI is notorious for causing bugs, especially related to shaders. There's a thread about it here: http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=3894

But more importantly, don't you have a list of the hardware installed in your computer? Huh Downloading wrong drivers for your card can also cause issues.
I got my PC from my tech wiz cousin, so I don't know anything about most of the hardware or software for that matter. Linux is definitely not idiot friendly. I have no idea how to go about uninstalling all those drivers. It's okay. I'm going to change the system. Windows is filled with virus but at least it doesn't sprout IT jargon at me.
it isn't filled with viruses if you don't let them in.

you need a decent antivirus, an anti malware like spybot search and destroy and a browser that doesn't let the trash in like opera at least. a hardware firewall, like one pre-installed in a router helps too.
Can't help you with Linux as I only use Windows as my OS.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter in which OS you do it since I assume you are dual-booting. For future reference, JPCSP still works the best in Windows for the time being, so if you are going to do a reinstall you might as well just stick to Windows and do what serio suggested and get yourself some proper protection.