This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Will big games ever be playable on RPCS3?
ps3 
Being the first time on this forum i don't know where to post this so i posted here. I just read the roadmap, downloaded the latest build (b25eb39) from their site and i have some questions about how this emulator works and "supported" games.
I also don't know if i posted this in the right zone, so tell me if i did something wrong.

Now the questions:
1. Seeing the low FPS achieved in old PS3 like Sonic... and Mario..., will we be able to play games like The Last Of Us on decent FPS soon?

2.I don't know how the program works and didn't read a guide or something so i'm asking you if i can play a certain game that i realy like and doesn't seem that demanding: Catherine (2011 game from Atlus). I downloaded the game and it has some file extensions like .PAM, .SFO, .AT3, and .DAT. I selected the following options inside the program: Boot -> Boot Game and select the folder. After this, the program's debugg section goes nuts and gives me a lot of "cellSpurs" errors and displays me new window that sais 31.5 FPS on top and stays black the hole time, so i'm assuming the game doesn't work.

3. I know the emulator is in development, that's why i'm asking your opinion on this thread. Thx for help in advance and sorry for my grammar (i'm not a native english speaker)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1. People like you need to think long-term and have patience when it comes to RPCS3 development. The cell architecture is not easy to emulate and it may take a few years (depending on the amount of developers that work on RPCS3) before commercial games (The Last of Us) can even load and be playable at a decent FPS.

2. Read the RPCS3 FAQ about commercial games. There are a lot of functions that are unimplemented as of this time. If you try to load any PS3 game, you will encounter lots of errors. I assumed you downloaded the game through PSN. This forum and its developers do not support piracy.

3. For anyone who is new to this forum, refrain from asking questions such as "When will this game work?" or "Why doesn't this game work?". Commercial games will be playable in the foreseeable future.
It's of course not theoretically impossible to make a ps3 emulator, but it is a monumental task that will take a considerable amount of time from a lot of very talented people. You are not going to be playing Catherine in many many many years.
Asus N55SF, i7-2670QM (~2,8 ghz under typical load), GeForce GT 555M (only OpenGL)