This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some games freeze my system completely
(12-18-2014, 06:45 PM)DaHandy Wrote: On which OS can you freeze the whole system with just one frozen thread? I'd like to know that.

Windows 95/DOS IIRC Tongue

EDIT: I almost recalled correctly, just DOS. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_m...ltitasking
Asus N55SF, i7-2670QM (~2,8 ghz under typical load), GeForce GT 555M (only OpenGL)
I am not developer but i think i can say im computer literacy. I know difference between system hang/crash and cpu overload. I used many demos, eg 64k heavy demos from demoscene, furmark or other 'marks and none of them stalled my screen. Any of them i could shorter or longer kill from task manager.
While emu writes to rpsc.log, my screen hangs, always after at specific commands, which are in my first post. And system doesn't react on any input. I believe it is because GPU driver fault, not cpu overload. I did not encounter such behaviour with rpcs3 earlier. Look also on #906 https://github.com/DHrpcs3/rpcs3/issues/906 issue. I don't blame anyone, but i believe some late RSX code might behave wrong with some faulty(?) GPU drivers.
(12-18-2014, 04:35 PM)DaHandy Wrote:
(12-18-2014, 03:06 PM)flashmozzg Wrote: I've never seen that happen on on ne PC's because UI usually runs in separate thread so no freezing on multicore CPUs. (Though insane lagging/ constant no response is still possible)

Just a note here: Threads have nothing to do with CPU cores, threads & processes are OS specific... Single core can run multiple threads, so no freezing on single core either (with a proper OS). Wink

The point is that the OS scheduler prioritizes one process' threads over others, including the OS' UI thread. Unless the process' threads idle, other threads on the run queue will be starved of CPU time.
It freezes my system also.
Since one week or so.

My system: Win 8.1, Intel 2700k , 16 gb ram , ssd, hhd, gtx660

greetings slrhui
Thanx raven02!, You found a cause of hangs. Most games/homebrews that previously hanged, now just stops at usually "ocol0 = h0" or similar, after resume generally works.