This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retail disc loading?
Is there any support for loading retail ps3 game discs? Because though I managed to get it to show up in windows explorer when I try and run the PS3_GAME folder nothing happens, it just says "E unknown file type".
We did have some discussion regarding this in IRC, currently it's not implemented. But the concencus in IRC was, that we could implement it but we'd probably need the game-specific *.ird files
(04-07-2014, 12:49 AM)Bigpet Wrote: We did have some discussion regarding this in IRC, currently it's not implemented. But the concencus in IRC was, that we could implement it but we'd probably need the game-specific *.ird files

Just wondering, why would it require such files rather than just doing it however an actual PS3 does it (perhaps requiring the user to copy and paste the required keys from that wiki site if they can't be included in the package)?
(04-10-2014, 08:14 PM)nl255 Wrote:
(04-07-2014, 12:49 AM)Bigpet Wrote: We did have some discussion regarding this in IRC, currently it's not implemented. But the concencus in IRC was, that we could implement it but we'd probably need the game-specific *.ird files

Just wondering, why would it require such files rather than just doing it however an actual PS3 does it (perhaps requiring the user to copy and paste the required keys from that wiki site if they can't be included in the package)?

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Retail discs employ an additional encryption layer on each sector (that's why the .ird files would be needed).
You can see the entire file structure (e.g.: PS3_GAME) when you load your disc on a BD-ROM drive, but if you try to open the game's main executable (EBOOT.BIN) with an hex editor you will see that it's all scrambled (the file's data should begin with SCE).
The algorithm is known and it's possible to decrypt each sector, but we're still studying viable ways to process this (we can't simply decrypt the disc in place or copy it's contents to a user's HDD, so we must decrypt and load each sector on the fly).
(04-11-2014, 07:14 PM)Hykem Wrote:

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Retail discs employ an additional encryption layer on each sector (that's why the .ird files would be needed).
You can see the entire file structure (e.g.: PS3_GAME) when you load your disc on a BD-ROM drive, but if you try to open the game's main executable (EBOOT.BIN) with an hex editor you will see that it's all scrambled (the file's data should begin with SCE).
The algorithm is known and it's possible to decrypt each sector, but we're still studying viable ways to process this (we can't simply decrypt the disc in place or copy it's contents to a user's HDD, so we must decrypt and load each sector on the fly).

I can imagine that players wouldn't mind to sacrify some hdd space if it would mean that the emulator does all the dirty job for them automatically. Angel
Rpcs3 team, I believe in you, you can do this! Big Grin Heart
(04-11-2014, 11:56 PM)mr.devolver Wrote:

I can imagine that players wouldn't mind to sacrify some hdd space if it would mean that the emulator does all the dirty job for them automatically. Angel

Devolver, you got the best signature...

I guess, but some games are huge! You could easily eat up to 200GB of your HDD just by loading 4 or 5 games. Sad
(04-13-2014, 02:08 PM)Hykem Wrote:

I guess, but some games are huge! You could easily eat up to 200GB of your HDD just by loading 4 or 5 games. Sad

Maybe make it that way only one game would load decrypted on hdd at the time? And after playing, players would be asked if they want to keep it on hdd for later use, or free up the space for different game? Well, I am trying to offer another view on this issue assuming it would greatly decrease performance of emulator if it must decrypt the game on the fly, if decrypting on the fly doesn't have any negative effects on performance, then by all means go that way. Blush
Rpcs3 team, I believe in you, you can do this! Big Grin Heart
(04-13-2014, 02:53 PM)mr.devolver Wrote:
(04-13-2014, 02:08 PM)Hykem Wrote:
(04-10-2014, 08:14 PM)nl255 Wrote: Just wondering, why would it require such files rather than just doing it however an actual PS3 does it (perhaps requiring the user to copy and paste the required keys from that wiki site if they can't be included in the package)?

Maybe make it that way only one game would load decrypted on hdd at the time? And after playing, players would be asked if they want to keep it on hdd for later use, or free up the space for different game? Well, I am trying to offer another view on this issue assuming it would greatly decrease performance of emulator if it must decrypt the game on the fly, if decrypting on the fly doesn't have any negative effects on performance, then by all means go that way. Blush

For beta testing, sure. I'll probably have to use the HDD in the beginning, but the preferred goal will be the on the fly loading.
After improving RPCS3's virtual file system we will be able to do this with very little performance costs. Wink
(07-21-2014, 09:57 AM)AlexAltea Wrote: So yeah, if anyone has PS3 retail discs and a compatible Blu-Ray reader for PC, please send me a Private Message.

Thanks. Wink
Me Tongue
Upload you Log Here :
PC spec:
Windows 10 PRO X64 Insider 16.232
Amd Ryzen 1700X @3.8 ghz
MSI Core Frozr L
16 go Corsair Vengeance LPX PC4-25600 (3200MHz)
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
500 Go SSD Samsung 960 EVO M.2