This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can this emulator play PS1 games in the future?
(12-26-2013, 12:08 PM)hlide Wrote:
(12-25-2013, 08:23 PM)Hykem Wrote: ...

This: https://github.com/DHrpcs3/rpcs3/commit/...1dc0a58e1a

DH set up a separate thread to run ELF files based on the ARM architecture (ARM v7 from the Cortex-A9 MPCore). In the commits afterwards there were some basic interpreter and disassembler implementations and finally the integration with the ELF loader.
While this is not really useful now, I believe the purpose would be to run Vita games in a parallel thread so later we could emulate the connectivity between PS3 and Vita games.

from what I can read: he defines four types of CPU: MIPS, PPU, SPU and ARMv7. They sound more like an attempt to more genericity in the way to handle cpus. This emulator is going to do some low level emulation ?

Possibly, yes. We're still not sure about how the CPU emulation will occur inside the emulator, but it would be really interesting and a great proof of concept to implement.
(12-27-2013, 10:06 PM)Hykem Wrote: Possibly, yes. We're still not sure about how the CPU emulation will occur inside the emulator, but it would be really interesting and a great proof of concept to implement.
by just looking some rpcs3 source, I noticed some references to "ARM9" and not to ARMv7. It is misleading for someone who knows about ARM family. ARM9 (ARMv4/5) is an older CPU which were used before the cortex family are released. ARMv7 is perfect as a designation rather than ARM9 for ARM[ Cortex A]9. Hopefully the presence of directory ARMv7 dispels the doubt I had when reading those "ARM9" in comments.
hlide, DH just mistyped it, when added initial commit. Tongue
I believe DH renamed later all ARM9 (Cortex A9) references to the proper ARMv7 (ARM family). Looking at the current github code I can't find ARM9 anywhere anymore.