This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JPCSP video
I've been recently tinkering with PSP emulation and found JPCSP and PPSSPP. I find JPCSP to be much more compatible, but it is missing two important features that PPSSPP has. It does not seem to have the ability to upscale the internal resolution, and the fullscreen resolution selections seem buggy (I get a black screen if I attempt to use anything above native and have to delete settings to fix), and has no toggle hotkey to switch between fullscreen and window.

So I have two questions:
Why is there no option to increase the internal resolution?
Why is there not a hotkey to toggle full screen?

Comparing the two emulators video output, the clarity of PPSSPP at 4x internal blows JPCSP out of the water. Other than that, it seems to be a really good emulator, probably the most compatible thus far. But missing the option to increase internal resolution will keep it from being a top choice down the road as other emulators are released and progress.
Increasing the internal resolution in jpcsp will make it even slower and this emu is already pretty darn slow.
I have a decently powerful system and I do not experience slowdowns and almost all games I tried run full speed. The ones that did not run full speed had emulation issues. Even if 2x-3x native resolution slowed down the most powerful systems out there, it may not always be that way. Plus it wouldn't hurt to have the option to experiment with, could it? 480 × 272 is quite a stretch across my 1080p 27'' monitor, the image is so blocky it's hard to make out some things in 3D environments. Even 2x/3x window sizes are pretty blocky, but 1x looks great (but very small).

I'm not trying to be picky or bash the emulator itself, it's an impressive feat to emulate anything especially in java. I've just been spoiled by shaders and HQ filters on older system emulators and increased internal resolutions on dolphin and pcsx2. But I don't know much about java or programming in general, so maybe it would be too much to increase the pixel count. I don't know, I'm just making a suggestion.

And also let's not forget that full screen toggle hotkey which would be very convenient (like how most apps use Alt+Enter or a F# key). I had to mess around with the launcher utility to even get full screen working correctly. The option to choose the full screen resolution could be done away with completely since it's supposed to auto-detect desktop resolution with the default setting anyway. And since the internal resolution isn't enhanced, there really doesn't seem to be a point to choosing a resolution that doesn't match the desktop resolution.
This emulator have more bugfixes and other stuff than PPSSPP, PPSSPP crash about 4 missions in pataon 3 in jpcsp about 30~ mission
(06-16-2013, 05:46 PM)Bighead Wrote: I've been recently tinkering with PSP emulation and found JPCSP and PPSSPP. I find JPCSP to be much more compatible, but it is missing two important features that PPSSPP has. It does not seem to have the ability to upscale the internal resolution, and the fullscreen resolution selections seem buggy (I get a black screen if I attempt to use anything above native and have to delete settings to fix), and has no toggle hotkey to switch between fullscreen and window.

So I have two questions:
Why is there no option to increase the internal resolution?
Why is there not a hotkey to toggle full screen?

Comparing the two emulators video output, the clarity of PPSSPP at 4x internal blows JPCSP out of the water. Other than that, it seems to be a really good emulator, probably the most compatible thus far. But missing the option to increase internal resolution will keep it from being a top choice down the road as other emulators are released and progress.
Have you tried the option "Enable saving GE screen to Textures instead of Memory"?
Always include a complete log file at INFO level in your reports. Thanks! How to post a log
(06-17-2013, 05:21 PM)Michalplyoutube Wrote: This emulator have more bugfixes and other stuff than PPSSPP, PPSSPP crash about 4 missions in pataon 3 in jpcsp about 30~ mission

That's expected for an emulator that has been in development for over 5 years, PPSSPP only have 1 year so obviously it have less compatibility and more crashes than jpcsp.

Once PPSSPP catches up in compatibility i really won't see any reason to keep using jpcsp anymore, and sorry to bring this lame trolling over here but this is the truth.
You should also mention that one of the reasons that PPSSPP has developed so well in less than a year is because there is communication between the two (JPCSP & PPSSPP) development teams. Now imagine if JPCSP was closed-source or that there wasn't any real documentation on the PSP architecture. Would it have been easy to create a PSP emulator in a programming language of one's choosing? Ex: PCSP hasn't developed as well as PPSSPP despite being programmed in the same language (C++). Hopefully, PSPE4ALL can do better and still be developed well into the future.

People need to stop posting junk about how PPSSPP will blow JPCSP right out of the water. People should be a little bit more grateful to the JPCSP development team for creating a program (in Java, something most people would not even attempt) that allows users to enjoy their PSP games on the computer.
(06-18-2013, 03:25 AM)DragonNeos Wrote: You should also mention that one of the reasons that PPSSPP has developed so well in less than a year is because there is communication between the two (JPCSP & PPSSPP) development teams. Now imagine if JPCSP was closed-source or that there wasn't any real documentation on the PSP architecture.

Yeah, PPSSPP benefited from jpcsp but that doesn't change the fact that java blows for emulation. The only reason jpcsp made it this far is because it had a lot of talented programers working on it for 5 years but like i said, it still doesn't change the fact that java blows.

(06-18-2013, 03:25 AM)DragonNeos Wrote: Would it have been easy to create a PSP emulator in a programming language of one's choosing? Ex: PCSP hasn't developed as well as PPSSPP despite being programmed in the same language (C++).

And that's because it only had a few developers working on it, sadly most of the developers were focusing more on jpcsp thinking that java is the best thing since sex, peanut butter and jelly.

If the developers focused more on the other emulators coded in C++ they would have been better.

(06-18-2013, 03:25 AM)DragonNeos Wrote: People need to stop posting junk about how PPSSPP will blow JPCSP right out of the water. People should be a little bit more grateful to the JPCSP development team for creating a program (in Java, something most people would not even attempt) that allows users to enjoy their PSP games on the computer.

Now you see, this is the problem i have with peoples thinking like this, this is pure java fanboyism, this is no different than macintosh fanboys thinking that mac is the best thing that came to earth.

Tell me one thing that java brings to the emulation scene that C/C++ cant do, the only thing that java bring is portability, but then again, PPSSPP is already pretty darn portable too so even java lost in that aspect, so what other thing does java bring to the table?

And please don't come with the retort saying that i need to code a better emulator and all that crap because i just pointed out the truth.

Anyway, i really didn't want to bring this trolling over here but i had enough of people thinking that java is the holy grail of emulation programming.
It's not about java beeing better than C/C++,it's about recognizing the effort that jpcsp developpers put until now,also most ppsspp code is from jpcsp so that's why it has been advancing so quick
Am I the only one with this cool sig?
[Image: ji6WX.png]
[Image: 2404362.png]
(06-18-2013, 03:14 PM)virgil94 Wrote: also most ppsspp code is from jpcsp so that's why it has been advancing so quick

And?

For all i care PPSSPP could have been rewritten into C++ from scratch from the jpcsp source code and PPSSPP would still have been better.

Anyway i'm glad that jpcsp existed because thanks to that we finally have PPSSPP to replace it once it mature enough and the reality is that most users will migrate to PPSSPP. The only users using jpcsp will be the hardcore java fans.

Just my two cents.