This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can change to ppsspp 's jpn0.pgf ?
(The orignal link of jpn0.pgf killed )
It fix Jeanne d'Arc http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread....#pid178725

Attach the sceFont log

Remove remove link and attach

Attached Files
.zip   3090log.zip (Size: 78.19 KB / Downloads: 149)
Hmmm..... There's a problem here. PPSSPP is using the official Sony font. We can't do that.
Our jpn0.pgf is based on a free distribution font. The best I can do is find a better font, but we really can't touch the original .pgf files from Sony since they're copyrighted.
Sorry,I don't beleve that ppsspp 's author allow this copyright font merge his source.
(04-07-2013, 11:43 AM)Hykem Wrote: Hmmm..... There's a problem here. PPSSPP is using the official Sony font. We can't do that.
Our jpn0.pgf is based on a free distribution font. The best I can do is find a better font, but we really can't touch the original .pgf files from Sony since they're copyrighted.
that's also pretty much why i made the tutorial for ripping fonts.

until a better free alternative's found, anyone who owns a psp can get the fonts from their psp and plug them into the emulator to have them working right, only pirates can't do that.
Oops. I accepted a pull request that I should have checked more carefully, I thought they'd managed to generate a better font. Reverted to JPCSP's font, thanks for bringing this up.
I debug the game from ppsspp from vs 2010,I do not see probrem in scefont Sad , not sure what's probrem
(04-09-2013, 10:10 PM)ector Wrote: Oops. I accepted a pull request that I should have checked more carefully, I thought they'd managed to generate a better font. Reverted to JPCSP's font, thanks for bringing this up.
That's not the PSP native font FTT-NewRodin Pro DB; that's FZCuYuan-M03, a traditional Chinese font by a Taiwanese foundry. It's not freeware, so it's still not appropriate.

To the devs: are there any better fonts that could replace the current Latin set? Liberation Sans isn't much like the New Rodin series. There are free (OFL) fonts named Jura, Orbitron and Homenaje that are much more similar to New Rodin (which itself is similar to the much better known font Eurostile). Jura and Orbitron aren't condensed enough, and Homenaje has a few too many flourishes, but they're closer. Also, have you considered VL Gothic instead of Sazanami Gothic and its awful Latin kerning? (Latin kerning is often not much of a consideration for Japanese font designers.) I haven't looked at the original, so I don't know which is closer, but VL Gothic has better-kerned Latin.
(04-24-2013, 06:59 AM)Sarisa81 Wrote: That's not the PSP native font FTT-NewRodin Pro DB; that's FZCuYuan-M03, a traditional Chinese font by a Taiwanese foundry. It's not freeware, so it's still not appropriate.

To the devs: are there any better fonts that could replace the current Latin set? Liberation Sans isn't much like the New Rodin series. There are free (OFL) fonts named Jura, Orbitron and Homenaje that are much more similar to New Rodin (which itself is similar to the much better known font Eurostile). Jura and Orbitron aren't condensed enough, and Homenaje has a few too many flourishes, but they're closer. Also, have you considered VL Gothic instead of Sazanami Gothic and its awful Latin kerning? (Latin kerning is often not much of a consideration for Japanese font designers.) I haven't looked at the original, so I don't know which is closer, but VL Gothic has better-kerned Latin.

Hmmm, thanks for pointing those out. I'm currently looking for fonts to convert and replace the ones we have.
Your suggestions seem quite close to the New Rodin, so I'll definitely test them. Smile
There are probably even closer fonts out there, but I ran out of patience while hunting through FontSquirrel and Google Web Fonts. There's no good way to search for a font that "looks like Eurostile", since all the classification systems are too broad to be useful or too fine-grained for free font designers to bother with.

Since Dissidia 012 (and possibly some other games) uses the Japanese font, not the Latin one, something else to look at if possible would be using the Japanese characters from a free Japanese gothic font but replacing the Latin with the chosen Latin font. Some licenses allow this; others don't.

For reference, here's a small New Rodin specimen: http://fontworks.co.jp/font/sample/data/newrodin.pdf
The PSP font is the DB (demibold, 600).

Edit: After taking a look at this very small specimen of VL Gothic and Sazanami Gothic, I think Sazanami Gothic is a little bit closer to New Rodin's kana but VL Gothic's heavier kanji are more similar to New Rodin DB's kanji. There are few free fonts with kanji, but a lot more with just kana, so an optimal solution would call for splicing three different fonts together. That sounds absurd to someone in the Latin tradition, but it's not uncommon in Japanese typography.
After doing some poking around for PPSSPP, I found something disheartening but useful; New Rodin DB has an extremely large x-height. Measured in the modern fashion (x-height/em-height), its x-height is 0.587; compare to Liberation Sans at 0.518, VL PGothic at 0.520, Sazanami Gothic at 0.521, and DejaVu Sans at 0.547.