This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hello, I'm a newcomer and I'm looking for a chance to see the source :)
Or even better, post a link to the patch here and many devs will be able to review it.
Here is a link for code changes which can improve the visual quality of jpcsp:

Attached Files
.rar   Changes_v1.rar (Size: 1.51 KB / Downloads: 153)
(10-31-2010, 02:46 PM)Aredo Wrote: Here is a link for code changes which can improve the visual quality of jpcsp:
Thanks for the proposal!

I've already investigated a similar approach to improve the 3D rendering when enlarging the Jpcsp window (e.g. fullscreen). I don't think disabling the viewport is the right solution. Some applications rely on a correct viewport settings to render only part of the screen. This is important for compatibility.
A better approach would be to scale the viewport coordinates according to the canvas coordinates. E.g. using setViewport(x * 2, y * 2, width * 2, height *2) when scaling the Jpcsp window by a factor 2. Of course, the factor has to follow the current window resizing.

Also, the mag filter could be forced automatically to bilinear when the texture has mipmaps and when the Jpcsp window was enlarged. I don't see a need to change the mag filter when the texture has no mipmaps or when the Jpcsp window has still the original PSP size.
Is there any need to change the min filter?

BTW, this will mainly improve the rendering of 3D applications, not 2D.
Yes, you are right, I thought the same about viewport from the beginning, but was confused by scissors method. I've re-tested scaling viewport according to canvas coordinates after modifying scissors and it works now. So the same effect as of viewport disabling can be gained from viewport scaling.
About magnification filter I think there's no need to use it when the screen is not enlarged. Minification filter theoretically may improve the image quality in some cases but right now I couldn't find an psp application to test if we really need to use it.
2D applications and video playing will improve from using of linear filtering.

3D applications will improve from using of scaled viewport, linear filtering and anti-aliasing.

(11-01-2010, 02:08 PM)Aredo Wrote: Yes, you are right, I thought the same about viewport from the beginning, but was confused by scissors method. I've re-tested scaling viewport according to canvas coordinates after modifying scissors and it works now. So the same effect as of viewport disabling can be gained from viewport scaling.
About magnification filter I think there's no need to use it when the screen is not enlarged. Minification filter theoretically may improve the image quality in some cases but right now I couldn't find an psp application to test if we really need to use it.

3D applications will improve from using of scaled viewport, linear filtering and anti-aliasing.
Impressive progress!
(11-01-2010, 05:43 PM)gid15 Wrote:
(11-01-2010, 02:08 PM)Aredo Wrote: Yes, you are right, I thought the same about viewport from the beginning, but was confused by scissors method. I've re-tested scaling viewport according to canvas coordinates after modifying scissors and it works now. So the same effect as of viewport disabling can be gained from viewport scaling.

Impressive progress!

I totally agree!
This was one of those major tasks planned for after the LWJGL migration, alongside with the addition of some other less important filters. Really great job, Aredo. Smile
Thanks, I hope I'll be able to do more improvements to jpcsp. Right now there are some ideas I should check. Smile
Could you tell us about your ideas ?
We should definitely have an open discussion about this, it could help you a lot.
Sure, first idea is using of anisotropic filtering. But not sure yet if jpcsp will benefit from it. Second idea is implementing of magnification algorithms from the series of hq (hq2x...). They are already used in many emulators and seem to improve quality of 2D.
Reference link: http://web.archive.org/web/2008022204253.../hq2x.html
(11-14-2010, 07:55 AM)Aredo Wrote: Sure, first idea is using of anisotropic filtering. But not sure yet if jpcsp will benefit from it. Second idea is implementing of magnification algorithms from the series of hq (hq2x...). They are already used in many emulators and seem to improve quality of 2D.
Reference link: http://web.archive.org/web/2008022204253.../hq2x.html
Hi Aredo,

are you still working on this improvement?