This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
RAM issue
Hi all,

I'm having trouble playing a game with JPCSP (currently it's Yu-Gi-Oh Tag Force 5) : the first minutes i play it, i've no big problems to run it (except sometimes FPS drop, but it's ok, but after a certain amount of time, it gets unplayable. The game becomes very slow, and when i check Task Manager, i see that java.exe i using a lot of memory : usually 3-3.5 Gb. I noticed too that this amount of memory used grows up as i play the game.

I've ever searched on this forum and on internet, but I never see such a problem, even on Yu-Gi-Oh Tag Force threads. I've tried many configuration modifications too to solve this problem, but no one was successful.

Does anyone have a tip/idea to solve this problem ? Here's my hardware configuration if it can be useful :

Motherboard : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA770T-UD3 x.x
Processor : AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz
RAM : 3x2Gb PC3-12800H G.skill 800MHz
Graphic Card : Radeon HD 5770

Thanks in advance.
(01-03-2013, 08:20 AM)Nesjo Wrote: Hi all,

I'm having trouble playing a game with JPCSP (currently it's Yu-Gi-Oh Tag Force 5) : the first minutes i play it, i've no big problems to run it (except sometimes FPS drop, but it's ok, but after a certain amount of time, it gets unplayable. The game becomes very slow, and when i check Task Manager, i see that java.exe i using a lot of memory : usually 3-3.5 Gb. I noticed too that this amount of memory used grows up as i play the game.

Hi, I've been playing this game too in JPCSP and I noticed that I have this issue as well. I've tried using several different configurations, including those provided by the users in this post, but nothing seems to fix the problem, as you said.

However, after several days of testing without success, I noticed that the RAM usage increases everytime you start a duel, particularly at the begining of the first AI's MP1 (Main Phase 1) of each duel, but then it doesn't decrease even after you have finished the duel, so by the time you are in the 4th consecutive duel (during tournaments for example) the game becomes very unstable and pretty much unplayable, and there's no option in the emu that allows you to avoid this RAM overuse.

After realizing this, I tried using JPCSP launcher because I thought that there was some problem with the Garbage Collection (old data isn't being cleaned after you have already finished the duel) but even after attemping different configuratios I couldn't get it working, so I concluded that the problem is within the emu itself (and your post shows that I'm not the only one having this issue).

Although I couldn't find a solution for this problem, I hope that all this information can be useful for you or anyone reading this (especially the devs) so that a way to fix it can be found.

Sorry for my english, and thanks in advance to anyone who can help us! Big Grin
I've exactly the same problem, it lags so much that often it's unplayable, I tried everything: reinstalling java both 32 and 64 bits, reinstalling directx, reinstalling opengl and the video drivers, nothing seems to fix the problem. Try reading these posts, maybe you can manage to raise the FPS a bit:
http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=69292

For me it partially helped but can't get more than 21-22 fps and in animated scenes still drops under 10 fps. This is a very old bug, always been there since the first time I tried JPCSP, I thought my CPU with 2 cores wasn't enough but if you've the same problem with a quad core then probably it's not a hardware related isse.

Once I talked with a guy who knows a few things about java (even though he's not a professional), when I described the problem he said it's probably a bugged function of my java version or inside the emulator which causes a "recursive call" that doesn't remove temporary variables or something like that, they keep stacking and the result is an excessive memory usage. I don't know if that's the real cause but it might be worth to check it.

(in PPSSPP this doesn't happen, it runs smooth even while I'm encoding videos with MeGUI... xD)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
3072MB RAM DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1024MB
Java Build 1.8.0-EA-B89
(04-15-2013, 11:56 AM)kyousuke Wrote: Once I talked with a guy who knows a few things about java (even though he's not a professional), when I described the problem he said it's probably a bugged function of my java version or inside the emulator which causes a "recursive call" that doesn't remove temporary variables or something like that, they keep stacking and the result is an excessive memory usage. I don't know if that's the real cause but it might be worth to check it.

Well, I haven't thought of this. I'm currently learning programming at university and I understand what your friend is refering to. Unfortunately, if this is the case, then we'll have to wait for the devs to find a solution for it since there's since I can't think of any way for the users to fix it by themselves (it's a coding problem). However, there's something I'm worried about:

(04-15-2013, 11:56 AM)kyousuke Wrote: This is a very old bug, always been there since the first time I tried JPCSP

If the bug is so old and the devs haven't fixed it yet, then maybe we shouldn't hold our breath. Considering that so far they haven't even bothered to answer anything related to this issue (I want to believe that they're too busy with other things), I don't know if they'll fix it any time soon Undecided.

It's kind of frustrating since the emulator runs perfectly during the first 3 duels, and there's nothing we, as users, can do to fix this by ourselves.

(04-15-2013, 11:56 AM)kyousuke Wrote: (in PPSSPP this doesn't happen, it runs smooth even while I'm encoding videos with MeGUI... xD)

I tried using PPSSPP but that emulator barely works for this game. I get like 1 frame every 4 seconds (and that's just the initial loading screen). It's impossible to play the game like that, so sadly, as I see it, it's not an option for now.

If there are any devs reading this, please at least reply telling us that you are aware of this issue. That, at least, would bring me some hope Sad.
Did you guys ( or gals ) try messing with java options in .bat file which starts jpcsp?
Are you using 64bit windows ? Did you try both 32bit and 64bit jpcsp ?
(04-16-2013, 01:42 AM)marcosda93 Wrote: I tried using PPSSPP but that emulator barely works for this game. I get like 1 frame every 4 seconds (and that's just the initial loading screen). It's impossible to play the game like that, so sadly, as I see it, it's not an option for now.

Yes I know that emulator supports only a few games, probably the game you tried is one of those not playable yet, but Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai runs fine in it, also Fate/EXTRA CCC and Amagami Ebikore Plus, even though there're a few glitches in the graphics.

(04-16-2013, 09:25 AM)digiadventures Wrote: Did you guys ( or gals ) try messing with java options in .bat file which starts jpcsp?

Of course, both 32 and 64 bit versions and I tried everything I could think of. About the bat file I've no idea what to change in it, I don't have any experience in programming.
If some dev is insterested in this issue, I can start making logs of all my games and anything else that is needed to find the cause, just let me know.

Everyone else who's having the same problem, please leave a post here with your PC specs, your version of Java, version of JPCSP and your OS.
To check what version of java is installed on your PC, open CMD and write java -version.
3072MB RAM DDR2
Java Build 1.8.0-EA-B89
(04-16-2013, 09:25 AM)digiadventures Wrote: Did you guys ( or gals ) try messing with java options in .bat file which starts jpcsp?

I have 32bit windows so I used the 32bit version of JPCSP.

About the java options, I've been trying a lot of configurations by using JPCSP launcher, but none of them have worked so far.

Theese are some of the results I got:

- Using Default option for garbage collection gives the same result as using ConcMarkSweep. The other options doesn't seem to work for me (the emulator crashes as soon as I run it).

- Disabling both MaxPermSize and ResCodeCacheSize options in Advanced Tab makes the game start slowing down much faster (during the second duel instead of the 4th)

- Using the AgressiveHeap option (advanced tab) makes the emulator crash as soon as it's started.

- Reducing the default size of MaxPermSize and ResCodeCacheSize gives graphical issues and eventually the game crashes.

- Increasing the default size of MaxPermSize and ResCodeCacheSize makes the emulator give an out of memmory error if you play with animations enabled (when characters play a card, etc). If you disable animations you can only play properly until the 4th duel. At that point the game will start slowing down and will be barely playable (due to the RAM consumption).

- Reducing the default size of Xmx makes the emulator start slowing down faster (probably depending on how much you reduce it).

- Increasing the default size of Xmx makes the emulator give an out of memory error if you play with animations enabled (haven't tried playing without animations yet).

- Enabling the options -Xinc or -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode (this one is in the Garbage Collector tab) doesn't seem to change anything, but I left them disabled just in case.

I've tried some more configurations I found arround the forums but so far none of them have worked for me :/ I don't know what else to do.

kyousuke Wrote:Everyone else who's having the same problem, please leave a post here with your PC specs, your version of Java, version of JPCSP and your OS.
To check what version of java is installed on your PC, open CMD and write java -version.

Here's my info:

- CPU: Pentium Dual Core E5700 @ 3.00 GHz
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 (1745 MB)
- RAM memory: 2 GB

- Java version: 1.7.0_17
- Java HotSpot Client VM <build 23.7-b01, mixed mod, sharing> (idk if this one is necessary but I posted it just in case)

- DirectX version: 11
- Graphic driver version: 314.22 (latest)

- JPCSP version: 0.6 r3104
- JPCSP Launcher: v 1.8.0.4

If there's anything else I can post, please tell me. I want this bug to get fixed so bad Sad

EDIT: I just tested the emulator with Xmx default size increased and animations disabled but it crashed after the first duel result screen -.-

EDIT 2: I just tested the emulator with the option New Ratio (Garbage Collector tab) enabled and it's default value reduced to 1, but after the first duel the game became really slow and the RAM memory was almost full.
My problem with the fps was resolved, this is what I did:

Options >
- Clock Speed= 300%

Options >
- Configuration >
- - Compiler >
- - - Disable Output profiler and set Method Size to 50

Options >
- Configuration >
- - Media >
- - - Disable Media Engine (it will further increase the fps but the emu won't be able to play videos, you can leave it enabled if your fps is higher than 30-35)

Thanks to gid15 for the support! now my games are running flawlessly (except some crash here and there but, that's ok).
3072MB RAM DDR2
Java Build 1.8.0-EA-B89