This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Emulator
If we could run games on a PS3 on a pc, which processor would be necessary?

It is true that a processor of a ps3 is more powerful than the processors top line for pc?
Well,the PS3 has a 3.2 ghz processor.However you will need a 10x times more processor speed.If I had to say,computers require a 32 ghz processor to run the Ps3 emu(Which is kinda impossible right now)
Am I the only one with this cool sig?
[Image: ji6WX.png]
[Image: 2404362.png]
(11-06-2012, 11:13 PM)carroacelera Wrote: It is true that a processor of a ps3 is more powerful than the processors top line for pc?
That's relative. For example, Pentium IV HT have 2 threads on 1 single core up to 3.x GHz; however, the technology on Pentium IV was so obsolete that those 3.x GHz aren't perceptible enough to compare with a 2012 CPU.

The PS3 have a 8 cores CPU up to 3.2 GHz designed by IBM to SONY specially to the process that the PS3 uses; besides the speed is close to the Pentium IV for sure the Cell Engine of the PS3 is much more complex and fast but at the same time the PS3 CPU is designed for specific process and logical, that limitation close the power if it is compared to a PC CPU.

However, when we talk about console emulation on a PC we need an high ended CPU because the console process must be redirected by some codes to a specific part and most of those parts goes to CPU and that's why Virgil says a 10x powerful CPU is needed.

So, to answer your initial question i guess that a CPU powerful enough to emulate PS3 games will be something like an Intel Core i7 extreme after years and years of work on the emu code but i have my doubts about full speed. The part i didn't understand on emulation scene is why emulator's codes redirect all process to the PC CPU instead redirect to the specific part that have to work on it like the GPU or the sound card.
[Image: montcer.png]
(11-07-2012, 04:17 PM)montcer9012 Wrote:
(11-06-2012, 11:13 PM)carroacelera Wrote: It is true that a processor of a ps3 is more powerful than the processors top line for pc?
That's relative. For example, Pentium IV HT have 2 threads on 1 single core up to 3.x GHz; however, the technology on Pentium IV was so obsolete that those 3.x GHz aren't perceptible enough to compare with a 2012 CPU.

The PS3 have a 8 cores CPU up to 3.2 GHz designed by IBM to SONY specially to the process that the PS3 uses; besides the speed is close to the Pentium IV for sure the Cell Engine of the PS3 is much more complex and fast but at the same time the PS3 CPU is designed for specific process and logical, that limitation close the power if it is compared to a PC CPU.

However, when we talk about console emulation on a PC we need an high ended CPU because the console process must be redirected by some codes to a specific part and most of those parts goes to CPU and that's why Virgil says a 10x powerful CPU is needed.

So, to answer your initial question i guess that a CPU powerful enough to emulate PS3 games will be something like an Intel Core i7 extreme after years and years of work on the emu code but i have my doubts about full speed. The part i didn't understand on emulation scene is why emulator's codes redirect all process to the PC CPU instead redirect to the specific part that have to work on it like the GPU or the sound card.

Are you involved with emulation?

And the technology to use the processor of the video card? It could be used in favor of witchcraft, or not?
No, i just use the emulators and that's why i don't understand why PCSX2 gave all the work to the CPU.

The GPU have been improved a lot since a few years ago so yes, i guess it could help to don't overload the CPU with process that the GPU can handle. However, there should be a reason why emu developers don't do it; maybe it can't be used; i am not sure.
(11-07-2012, 04:39 PM)montcer9012 Wrote: No, i just use the emulators and that's why i don't understand why PCSX2 gave all the work to the CPU.

The GPU have been improved a lot since a few years ago so yes, i guess it could help to don't overload the CPU with process that the GPU can handle. However, there should be a reason why emu developers don't do it; maybe it can't be used; i am not sure.

You have already worked in some project of emulator?
Witchcraft?
Even using the video card's processor you'll still need to wait some years

Off topic:Your name...do you speak spanish?
I am not coder man; the things i am saying about emulation are just my opinion.

I believe the GPU will help a lot; on recent software like compressors, parsers and similar the GPU is used like a multiple core of the CPU.
(11-07-2012, 04:44 PM)montcer9012 Wrote: I am not coder man; the things i am saying about emulation is just my opinion.

But it seems that you understand on the subject ...

Do you think it will, with time, more and more difficult the emulation of video games on computers?
You mean getting easier emulation?Maybe with time