This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JPCSP is unplayably slow
Installed r2263. Testing FPS now with various settings. All tests done on map Flashy Passage in Dinero Castle; that map has 21 enemy units, the largest I've seen yet. Note that I have issues on almost all maps, it is just most pronounced here because of the extreme amount of units.

No settings: 30 FPS steady

Added 'Enable saving GE screen to Textures instead of Memory': 40 FPS
Feels like 10 FPS. Extremely chunky, even in town. Looks way, way better though. Actually fixes the aspect ratio issue I was having -- now the screen stretches to cover the whole window!

Added 'Enable decoding of indexed textures (using CLUT) in shader': 40 FPS
Still feels like 10 FPS.

Added 'Only GE graphics': 30 FPS steady
Actually feels like 30 FPS, though. Definitely an upgrade. Fixed chunkiness both in town and in combat.

Removed 'Enable decoding of indexed textures (using CLUT) in shader': 30 FPS steady
Might be slightly faster than previous. Readme says this should be an improvement. At the very least I don't believe it is hurting, so I added it back in.

Added 'Enable dynamic shader generation': 30 FPS steady
No noticeable change.

Added 'Use shaders': 30 FPS steady
No noticeable change.

Added 'Use a Geometry shader for 2D rendering': 30 FPS steady
No noticeable change.

Added 'Use vertex cache': 25 to 35 FPS
Feels slightly faster. Took more units to reach low FPS. Still had 60 FPS when I had 3 units out; didn't hit 30 til I had 9 out.

Added 'Enable VAO': 45 to 60 FPS
Flawless victory. Didn't drop below 60 FPS til I had 8 units out. Is at 60 FPS when cursor is over empty space, 50-55 in menus, 45 when scrolling past units. This is much better.

Removed everything but 'Only GE graphics', 'Use Vertex Cache', 'Enable VAO': 45 to 60 FPS
No noticeable change. Guess all those other options didn't do anything.

Removed 'Use Vertex Cache': 30 FPS steady
Unsurprisingly reverted the gain VAO added. Was worth checking. Re-added.

Added 'Ignore invalid memory access': 45 to 60 FPS
No noticeable change. Removed.

Added 'Extract media files to tmp folder': 45 to 60 FPS

Added 'Unpack PBP when loading': 45 to 50 FPS

Don't see any more config options that look like they could improve performance.

The TL;DR is: fuck with options even when a.) you don't know what they do and b.) the readme file says they probably won't do anything. "Most PSP programmers do not [follow] this approach", but evidently the Disgaea devs did. Go figure. 60 FPS with ~28 units on the map is a hell of a lot better than 30 FPS with 12, which is what I was getting.

Messages In This Thread
JPCSP is unplayably slow - by Khift - 08-10-2011, 05:02 PM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by Hadoken - 08-10-2011, 05:49 PM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by Khift - 08-10-2011, 06:30 PM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by serio - 06-03-2012, 01:21 PM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by Khift - 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by Khift - 08-11-2011, 12:13 AM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by hyakki - 08-11-2011, 05:15 AM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by mega3113 - 05-13-2012, 12:44 PM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by Vegerunks - 05-14-2012, 01:49 AM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by jasonvin - 06-01-2012, 07:26 AM