This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JPCSP is unplayably slow
(08-10-2011, 05:02 PM)Khift Wrote: Specs:
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4890
6GB triple channel ram @ 534MHz
MS Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2

Long story short: Been playing Disgaea1 on JPCSP, FPS was 60 in town and about 30 in fights. 30 is too slow for me, so I went looking for ways to improve it. Played around with a bunch of settings, none improved FPS. Realized I hadn't updated my video drivers in a couple months so I did that and now the game is running at 30 FPS in town.

This is a computer that can play Crysis on max and get 60 FPS. This is not a hardware issue. This is a software issue. Hopefully, it's a software issue that can be solved, which is why I'm asking.

Pre-emptive answers:
I have Java 6.26 installed.
I am using the Windows x86 JPCSP build 2239 as linked on the front page.
I am using Catalyst version 11.7, the latest ATI driver.
I have the Catalyst AI disabled, as per this thread's recommendation.
I have Sonicstage installed and am using the media engine (was the only way I could find to get music working).
I encounter the same performance issues regardless of window size.
I have this issue with only basic settings plus media engine on (no shaders or anything). No settings I've turned on have improved it.

Is there any way to get this program functional? What settings should I use? All the settings I've tried either have no visible effect or have been detrimental to FPS. Rolling back the drivers is an option, but even if I did that 30 FPS in combat is half the speed the game is supposed to play at and that is not good enough. 60 FPS has to be possible.

Also, while I'm on the topic, some other issues I've noticed while using JPCSP:
- The 'pause' and 'reset' buttons are entirely broken. Pressing either will render the program useless; it is impossible to get the program to start playing a game again without shutting it down and restarting it.
- The quicksave and quickload features are broken. Sometimes they work, sometimes they crash the game. And by sometimes, I mean at least 50% chance of crashing JPCSP.
- There is a massive gap of black space in the window. Do not tell me this is an aspect ratio issue. It is not. The window is approximately 1680x1050 but the game is playing at approximately 1440x900. Both are 16:9 aspect ratio. There is no reason why the game shouldn't stretch to fill the whole window. Picture related.

I apologize if I sound unnecessarily frustrated. I just want this program to work. I am really enjoying Disgaea, but the slow combat speed is very annoying and I want to fix it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your post is nice, but ...
1. "unplayable slow" <-> 30-60 FPS, doesnt seem unplayable
2. "30 is too slow for me" ... take your PSP and have fun
3. the lower FPS maybe a software issue, but the JPCSP is v 0.6, so there is no need to run every game at 100%
4. the latest version of JPCSP can be found here
5. the not working buttons and quick options are know ...

This are only some thoughts of mine.

Messages In This Thread
JPCSP is unplayably slow - by Khift - 08-10-2011, 05:02 PM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by Hadoken - 08-10-2011, 05:49 PM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by Khift - 08-10-2011, 06:30 PM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by serio - 06-03-2012, 01:21 PM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by Khift - 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by Khift - 08-11-2011, 12:13 AM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by hyakki - 08-11-2011, 05:15 AM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by mega3113 - 05-13-2012, 12:44 PM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by Vegerunks - 05-14-2012, 01:49 AM
RE: JPCSP is unplayably slow - by jasonvin - 06-01-2012, 07:26 AM