This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Specs for RPCS3 in the future?
There is probably going to be a large difference between the requirements of Disgaea 3 (that one game that will soon display the intro video) which is mostly 2D and very basic 3D, and say FF XIII or GTA 5 which takes the real PS3 to it's absolute limits. I would say that Disgaea 3 could absolutely run on a powerful gaming PC from 2013-2014, that is i7 Haswell and a powerful GPU (GTX 780, R9 290x) when there is a working recompiler which will let us guess increase performance by a factor 10.

NekotekinaHito posted a screenshot where the intro video runs at about 4,5 fps. I have no idea what his specs are, but assuming a normal i5/i7 at around 3 ghz, that is 40-50 fps on a recompiler, hopefully. Now this is just a video, it could be heavier, or probably, lighter than in game stuff, but it is a rough estimation nonetheless.

My estimate is based on pcsx2 where I just tested the with Persona 4 on the laptop in my signature. The Sandy Bridge quad-core CPU with Hyperthreading was constantly in the range of 2,8-2,9 ghz.

Intro video:
Recompiler: 100-110 fps
Interpreter: 10 fps

In game 3D:
Recompiler: 140 fps
Interpreter: 12 fps

A PS3 emulator is not a PS2 emulator, but I think a factor 10 improvement is reasonable. But until the recompiler is done, there exists nothing that could play any commercial game at reasonable speed. And it should be repeated, this is talking about Disagea 3 which honestly looks like a PS2 game. For FF XIII or GTA 5? Nothing exists today that is fast enough, it would need to be yet another factor 10 faster than current consumer hardware I would say. Unless you do heavy hackery with multi GPU stuff that Alex was talking about. But this is very very far off, and inanely hard to do.

tl;dr, by the fastest hardware you can afford, probably spend extra on the CPU. But whatever you get, it will be outdated in several years when rpcs3 is even reasonable complete. Even though Disgaea 3 shows something, even a lot of simple homebrew doesn't yet.
Asus N55SF, i7-2670QM (~2,8 ghz under typical load), GeForce GT 555M (only OpenGL)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Specs for RPCS3 in the future? - by Ekaseo - 03-04-2014, 10:56 PM
RE: Specs for RPCS3 in the future? - by ssshadow - 03-05-2014, 12:16 AM
RE: Specs for RPCS3 in the future? - by mixdix123 - 03-25-2014, 04:28 PM
RE: Specs for RPCS3 in the future? - by Ekaseo - 03-25-2014, 06:01 PM
RE: Specs for RPCS3 in the future? - by 3V01988 - 03-25-2014, 06:56 PM
RE: Specs for RPCS3 in the future? - by ssshadow - 03-25-2014, 06:24 PM
RE: Specs for RPCS3 in the future? - by Ekaseo - 03-25-2014, 07:01 PM
RE: Specs for RPCS3 in the future? - by mixdix123 - 03-25-2014, 08:25 PM