This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
BIOS/Firmware emulation - what's going on?
(02-20-2014, 08:27 PM)Chalking Fenterbyte Wrote: Actually, I was just considering forking this, but by myself I'd get nowhere with this (at least not for many, many years). It's best left in the hands of the current team, but development has been a bit slow lately, and I wanted to know that the team is aware of different options. Going down a slow, unsteady road will just put RPCS3 into a halt of no success. One should always consider viable options and cut arounds in development.

If you would like to hear my opinion, I think that more focus should be on the Cell architecture and reverse engineering the game discs(I would do it willingly if I had the means, but as of now I don't).

I don't think you followed this project really closely or took a look at the status of some commercial games. Sure, none of them display anything as of yet but they're not "doing nothing", there's often some debug console output (e.g. the output to the console that you would see if you loaded the PS3 game on a PS3 devkit) and some are already loading images into memory.

Pull requests are always welcome and if you want to make some bugfixes or additions to the CELL emulation then you should go ahead and try it. There's not really a closed team, it's a collaborative efford and if you want to help then help is very welcome.

Also, I don't think that changing directions now to a route that would ultimatly lead to even slower emulation would not really help much. But again, I'm no authority on this, it's open source, you can steer it in whatever direction you want if you convince enough people.

Messages In This Thread
RE: BIOS/Firmware emulation - what's going on? - by Bigpet - 02-21-2014, 12:32 AM