This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JPCSP launcher and Large Pages
I just wanted to share this for anybody who is having problems activating

-XX:+LargePages

You've probably seen on other posts that you have to modify permissions using either gpedit or secpol to allow locking pages to memory. I did the same but for some reason launcher is still reporting insufficient privileges.

Number one, RUN THE LAUNCHER AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Simple nuff.

Number two, MAKE SURE YOU FREE YOUR MEMORY OF AS MANY UNNECESSARY APPLICATIONS/SOFTWARE AS POSSIBLE.

In my case, I got kind of excited when I managed to enable largepages successfully as there is a remarkable boost on the game I was playing(peacewalker). Then one day, it stopped working. Everytime I try to run launcher with largepages enabled, jpcsp wouldn't even launch.

I found the culprit was my antivirus(kaspersky). After disabling that temporarily, it goes through. And it's not that I lacked RAM. I have 8GB of it.

Apparently largepages needed the ram it was going to use to be contiguous. I thought only hard drive memory considered this. I was wrong. I guess some software "scatter" themselves all over RAM?
(09-25-2012, 05:16 AM)jeremymd Wrote: ... for some reason launcher is still reporting insufficient privileges.

... After disabling that temporarily, it goes through. And it's not that I lacked RAM. I have 8GB of it.
Other solution besides the one you found will be hit the button "Show all users process"; this will allow you modify the Java priority on Windows Task Manager.

Also, i want ask you something because i wonder why you use Windows Page File with 8 GB RAM?; i did wonder it because using Page File will force your HDD make the work that your RAM have to do and when the HDD becomes overloaded system stability decrease a lot (theoretically). In that order MGSP must become slower even on a 7200 RPM HDD!!! However you told that game performance was better using PageFile instead your RAM hahahaha!!
[Image: montcer.png]
(09-25-2012, 08:28 PM)montcer9012 Wrote:
(09-25-2012, 05:16 AM)jeremymd Wrote: ... for some reason launcher is still reporting insufficient privileges.

... After disabling that temporarily, it goes through. And it's not that I lacked RAM. I have 8GB of it.
Other solution besides the one you found will be hit the button "Show all users process"; this will allow you modify the Java priority on Windows Task Manager.

priority is different from permissions. with that in mind, i fiddled with all three possible priorities for java itself and there doesn't seem to be any effect on jpcsp performance itself, at least for the game I'm currently playing.

Quote:Also, i want ask you something because i wonder why you use Windows Page File with 8 GB RAM?; i did wonder it because using Page File will force your HDD make the work that your RAM have to do and when the HDD becomes overloaded system stability decrease a lot (theoretically). In that order MGSP must become slower even on a 7200 RPM HDD!!! However you told that game performance was better using PageFile instead your RAM hahahaha!!

Obviously you misunderstood. The goal of large page support is to optimize processor Translation-Lookaside Buffers(TLB). To be honest i'm not entirely sure what it is, but to my experience a buffer is always in a form of RAM and never on the hard drive.

You probably misunderstood. You're talking about the windows "page" file which windows itself uses when it has a lot of applications resident in memory and need to load more. It writes some of these active apps to the hard drive to make room for the newer app. This has nothing to do with the java large page option.

But hey! Glad you joined us.
(09-26-2012, 02:20 AM)jeremymd Wrote: priority is different from permissions. with that in mind, i fiddled with all three possible priorities for java itself and there doesn't seem to be any effect on jpcsp performance itself, at least for the game I'm currently playing.
Ah! I though you were talking about Java process priority on Windows Task Manager; without the permission Windows won't allow user change some process priority so i though was that.

(09-26-2012, 02:20 AM)jeremymd Wrote: Obviously you misunderstood.
In did; my misunderstanding came since you were talking about you don't lacked RAM and earlier the permission on gpedit and that's why i told you i did not understand what happen there. Now i get you.

About the Java function somehow i ignore the mention you did because didn't know it; now i will give a try and since i use KIS i will have precaution with it! Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: How much did you put on -XX:+LargePages to get the boost on MGSP?
EDIT2: I have disable KIS protections, run JPCSP Launcher as administrator, do the gpedit thing and even that i can't get it work. I will do a deeper try later.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-26-2012, 02:45 AM)montcer9012 Wrote: EDIT2: I have disable KIS protections, run JPCSP Launcher as administrator, do the gpedit thing and even that i can't get it work. I will do a deeper try later.
you need to restart the computer after you add your username in gpedit - lockpages field, A logon - logoff might also work.
Oh yeah, and that. Big Grin Thanks, hyakki.

Large pages I use is two. I tried different settings but 2 is the best I've observed, for my system anyways.

And btw hyakki, why does it fail when I try to activate individual large pages? It's not game dependent because the error pops up even before jpcsp itself starts. Maybe the java configuration I'm currently using?

Darn I wish I could go back to programming... <sigh>
(09-26-2012, 04:39 AM)hyakki Wrote: you need to restart the computer after you add your username in gpedit - lockpages field, A logon - logoff might also work.
Yeah, for the moment i edit that post i make it (restart my machine) several times adding my username to the list over and over but it doesn't work.

The working out i found was not just add my username, but also the "Administrator" user or, the one called "Everyone, All"; even the three at the same time will work. Finally, JPCSP launcher has to be run like administrator.