This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Release of External Software Rendering for JPCSP
(09-16-2014, 11:05 AM)hlide Wrote:
(09-15-2014, 11:26 AM)onelight Wrote: PPSSPP add Direct3D9 Rendering mode. it is faster than Opengl
How about jpcsp
Direct3D9 for Windows 8+ ? too oldish and too hackish, just refer to why Dolphin emulator drops Direct3D9 support: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/10/12/...ns-future/ .
Direct3D9 isn't for win 8+, it is for ancient PCs which can't use OpenGL 2.0
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=13141
(09-20-2014, 06:11 AM)onelight Wrote:
(09-16-2014, 11:05 AM)hlide Wrote:
(09-15-2014, 11:26 AM)onelight Wrote: PPSSPP add Direct3D9 Rendering mode. it is faster than Opengl
How about jpcsp
Direct3D9 for Windows 8+ ? too oldish and too hackish, just refer to why Dolphin emulator drops Direct3D9 support: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/10/12/...ns-future/ .
Direct3D9 isn't for win 8+, it is for ancient PCs which can't use OpenGL 2.0
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=13141

Still, from what I read about this Dolphin article, Direct3D9 is much more limited in feature than Open GL (albeit faster) and the only OS wanting it badly is the deprecated Windows XP (because later versions of Direct3D are unavailable for it).

And old PC with no Open GL 2.0 !? why bothering with them !? I'm not even sure that JPCSP can run on them with a satisfying speed.
Several performance improvements have been implemented in the last versions. They apply for all SSE & AVX2 implementations. The latest version is ebf1564 (soon available under the Live Downloads).
Could you check if there are performance improvements as compared to older versions?

Thank you!
Always include a complete log file at INFO level in your reports. Thanks! How to post a log
I haven't noticed any significant improvements in performance when I used the External Software Renderer (SSE3) on the latest revision (ebf1564). Then again, my graphics card is old (ATI Radeon HD 4200) so it might not be able to take advantage of any optimizations that was placed in this backend. I think there was a regression with rendering certain objects as you can see in the attached images. The first screenshot is showing JPCSP using revision ccd97e8 while the second screenshot is showing JPCSP using ebf1564. When the player is viewing the cards from their hand, the card should be visible on the left side of the screen. However, not a single card appears to be visible on the left side of the screen with the latest revision.

The latest revision of the External Software Renderer likes to generate pixelshader-XXXXX.bin64 files which can clog the main directory. Can they be generated elsewhere like in the tmp folder with a subfolder that can store these files?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-04-2015, 09:05 AM)DragonNeos Wrote: I haven't noticed any significant improvements in performance when I used the External Software Renderer (SSE3) on the latest revision (ebf1564). Then again, my graphics card is old (ATI Radeon HD 4200) so it might not be able to take advantage of any optimizations that was placed in this backend. I think there was a regression with rendering certain objects as you can see in the attached images. The first screenshot is showing JPCSP using revision ccd97e8 while the second screenshot is showing JPCSP using ebf1564. When the player is viewing the cards from their hand, the card should be visible on the left side of the screen. However, not a single card appears to be visible on the left side of the screen with the latest revision.

The latest revision of the External Software Renderer likes to generate pixelshader-XXXXX.bin64 files which can clog the main directory. Can they be generated elsewhere like in the tmp folder with a subfolder that can store these files?
I've fixed a bug in the compiled shader in ebf1564. Does it help?
Also, the pixelshader-XXXX.bin64 files are no longer created. They were only used for debugging purpose.

For the external software renderer, your graphics card is not relevant. All the work is done by your CPU and only its speed is relevant for the rendering speed.
Is there no performance improvement at all compared to an older version (e.g. 7b94ebb from March)?
Always include a complete log file at INFO level in your reports. Thanks! How to post a log
I can't test any older revisions of the External Software Renderer such as the ones made in March (7b94ebb) since files that were hosted by EmuNewz seem to have been deleted. Is there another website where I can download older entries of the External Software Renderer?
tell me what version you want and i will try to retrieve it from my buildbot backup files Wink
Hey shadow, if you can upload the revision 7b94ebb of the software renderer that would be great.
here you go

Attached Files
.zip   jpcsp_softrender-7b94ebb-windows-x86-32-AVX1.zip (Size: 584.44 KB / Downloads: 94)
.zip   jpcsp_softrender-7b94ebb-windows-x86-32-AVX2.zip (Size: 624.78 KB / Downloads: 106)
.zip   jpcsp_softrender-7b94ebb-windows-x86-32-noSSE.zip (Size: 339.24 KB / Downloads: 101)
.zip   jpcsp_softrender-7b94ebb-windows-x86-32-SSE2.zip (Size: 598.59 KB / Downloads: 101)
.zip   jpcsp_softrender-7b94ebb-windows-x86-32-SSE3.zip (Size: 596.47 KB / Downloads: 107)
.zip   jpcsp_softrender-7b94ebb-windows-x86-32-SSE41.zip (Size: 579.44 KB / Downloads: 103)
.zip   jpcsp_softrender-7b94ebb-windows-x86-64-AVX1.zip (Size: 728.27 KB / Downloads: 95)
.zip   jpcsp_softrender-7b94ebb-windows-x86-64-AVX2.zip (Size: 810.79 KB / Downloads: 109)
.zip   jpcsp_softrender-7b94ebb-windows-x86-64-noSSE.zip (Size: 461.7 KB / Downloads: 103)
.zip   jpcsp_softrender-7b94ebb-windows-x86-64-SSE2.zip (Size: 741.34 KB / Downloads: 97)
.zip   jpcsp_softrender-7b94ebb-windows-x86-64-SSE3.zip (Size: 741.36 KB / Downloads: 98)
.zip   jpcsp_softrender-7b94ebb-windows-x86-64-SSE41.zip (Size: 723.54 KB / Downloads: 110)
(07-06-2015, 10:16 AM)shadow Wrote: here you go
Thank you Smile