EmuNewz Network

Full Version: Frame Skipping ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I've been looking configurations for some revisions, newer ones and older ones and I've noticed the next:
Games are (I guess almost all) playable at a 60 FPS 100% speed.
When only GE graphics is enabled, games are 100% emulated at 30 FPS.
My question is... From what I read, it has nothing to do with Frame Skipping, right ?
Then, if that is so, can't you make an option of Frame Skipping ???
I've seen other emulators with Frame Skipping system that lets you choose:

Frames Readed: [number]
Frames Skipped: [number]

For an example:

Frames Readed: 2
Frames Skipped: 1

It would make a game that you play at 40 FPS, run at "60 FPS speed", and the difference is less smooth game, but higher speed. From 40 to 60 FPS the eye can't notice much difference, but the speed does a considerable difference.
That's the easiest way to increase speed I think, I've never developed emulators, so I don't know about it's difficulty to develop, but well, it's an idea.
Well right now they are working on things that are alot more important than choppy speed. I actually like that they're getting the games to be so fast WITHOUT frame skipping
Yeah I know, but I don't think it can take much time to make a Frame Skipping system.........
It's just an idea.
haha everything on this can take quite a bit of time seeing as every additon/"fix" can create 30 more problems.
I don't really think this can break anything... I mean, while the code is well implemented.
But after reading some more threads I guess the developers are not aiming at these kind of things first.
Either way, it would be a nice addition to get a better gameplay.
Yeah like a speedhack of some sort that lets you run the game 2x or even more than the default speed (like the PCSX2 feature turbo mode). So you can skip all the boring stuff fast like attack animations and magic animations. Especially when you play TRPGS that takes a hell of a time to finish a combo that uses a lot of time to finish.