EmuNewz Network

Full Version: New to JPCSP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, like the title says I'm new to JPCSP and I'm wondering if there is some sort of guide to using this emulator, rip my psp games to my pc, and more info on how to play the encrypted games. Something useful for someone that has started using this emulator..... I've used other emulators before, it's just that this one I'm not to familiar with it.
(01-26-2011, 09:47 AM)asahel Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, like the title says I'm new to JPCSP and I'm wondering if there is some sort of guide to using this emulator, rip my psp games to my pc, and more info on how to play the encrypted games. Something useful for someone that has started using this emulator..... I've used other emulators before, it's just that this one I'm not to familiar with it.

I don't think there is a quick guide on these things here so here are just some general things:

About ripping games:
This depends on your hardware: I suggest to use the umd_dump 1.31 prx plug-in for CFW, there is also a version available for HEN 6.20 TN. Google for a tutorial on how to use it.

Running the emulator:
Make sure you put the ISO files in the umdimages directory (or change the path in the settings). Use only official builds (http://buildbot.orphis.net/jpcsp/) and it SHOULD work. For a easy interface I suggest to use hyakki's JPCSP Launcher (search the forum for it) but you can also just use the .bat file to start the emulator.

Running encrypted games:
As of r1965 JPCSP should be able to decrypt the eboot.bin on-the-fly so you don't have to worry about that. But there are some games that do not work (yet). For these cases I suggest to decrypt the eboot.bin on your PSP. Google for prxdecrypter or Takka's ISO Tool

Other things:
Make sure you use the latest version of Java. If you want movies you have to use the 32-bit version of JPCSP (even on a x64-Windows!) and also install the 32-bit JRE. If you also wanna play music you have to install Sonic Stage (and activate the option in the settings!).

Hope this helps a bit. If you have a specific question feel free to ask
I have a few more things I'm not so sure about...
About ripping games:
For those two plug-ins do I need OFW 6.2, because I currently have 6.37. Also those plug-ins are for running games on my psp?

I was wondering on how to copy my UMD games to my PC as an ISO so I can play my games on my PC.

Running encrypted games:
I'm still confused at this part because I have not yet tried this yet.

Other things:
What do you mean by Sonic Stage? As in sonic the hedgehog game???
What exactly is a custom firmware used for?
Should I worry about damaging my PSP/Memory Stick or anything else I should know about before continuing?

Besides all that I have updated Java and also have the latest 32-bit JRE, run XP on 32-bit Desktop and have no problem with the emulator.
(01-28-2011, 05:38 AM)asahel Wrote: [ -> ]I have a few more things I'm not so sure about...
About ripping games:
For those two plug-ins do I need OFW 6.2, because I currently have 6.37. Also those plug-ins are for running games on my psp?

The plugins do not run on OFW, you have to use a CFW/HEN to use them.
I think this forum is more on how to run the emulator and not on how to install a CFW/HEN on your PSP so you have to do that on your own. There are also many forum's available to help you in this matter.

(01-28-2011, 05:38 AM)asahel Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering on how to copy my UMD games to my PC as an ISO so I can play my games on my PC.

You rip the UMD into a ISO file on your Memory Stick and from there you can copy it to your HDD. Pretty easy.

(01-28-2011, 05:38 AM)asahel Wrote: [ -> ]Running encrypted games:
I'm still confused at this part because I have not yet tried this yet.

There is nothing to be confused about: Most of the games run now even when they are encrypted.

(01-28-2011, 05:38 AM)asahel Wrote: [ -> ]Other things:
What do you mean by Sonic Stage? As in sonic the hedgehog game???
What exactly is a custom firmware used for?
Should I worry about damaging my PSP/Memory Stick or anything else I should know about before continuing?

Of course! "Sonic the Hedgehog" is a game that you have to own to run JPCSP! Tongue
No, seriously: Sonic Stage is a program from SONY. The program itself is irrelevant but it has audio codecs for AT3+ files. These are needed by JPCSP.

The CFW/HEN is used to get you the ISO files. You can also use it to decrypt the eboot.bin's for those games that do not work with JPCSP (yet).

Your memory stick should be safe but your PSP could be damaged. This really depends on the exact model of your PSP and also if you do the proper things. If everything is done correctly your PSP will not be damaged.

(01-28-2011, 05:38 AM)asahel Wrote: [ -> ]Besides all that I have updated Java and also have the latest 32-bit JRE, run XP on 32-bit Desktop and have no problem with the emulator.

Very good! At least one thing not to worry about. Big Grin